5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering Wheel DIscoloration

Stinger19

Reaction score
Is anyone seeing any yellowing in their steering wheel trim piece at the 6 o'clock position? I'm not really sure what to call it, but it's the gray with while piping. Mine is starting to yellow a little bit. Anyone else?

Roger_H

Reaction score
Like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stinger19

Reaction score
Like this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Exactly! I wonder if it would be covered under warranty.

Ramguymario

Reaction score
I too have a discolored bottom wheel trim on my 19' limited. Going in this week to have it looked at by dealer, still under warranty so fingers crossed I walk away with a new wheel.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
seems to be a very common issue ! I don't think that is covered under warranty
I disagree that it's a common issue. Seen a few people complain about it, but not enough to call it common. And it's definitely covered under the original 3/36 warranty. Beyond that you're on your own

Ramguymario

Reaction score
From what my service advisor said, it’s piece that can be purchased separate from the outer rim (just waiting on FCA approval) I’ve ordered the oem new wheel to swap my existing wheel trim on. The reason I want that trim piece warrantied is so I can install it on my new wheel….costs the same as the whole wheel itself.
These are the part numbers see for yourself -

Steering Wheel > 6XR982X7AA
Insert 6 o Clock > 7AW00TX7AA

**reason for all this effort**
Hate buying used cars/ trucks but with supply chain a used limited was all that was available immediately. So new interior trim it is…

For reference, a single paddle shifter on my AMG is more expensive than the entire limited wheel assembly LOL

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is anyone seeing any yellowing in their steering wheel trim piece at the 6 o'clock position? I'm not really sure what to call it, but it's the gray with while piping. Mine is starting to yellow a little bit. Anyone else?
I have a 2019 Limited and this is just starting to happen. Very weird. I have the Added Care Plus warranty and will ask if it's covered.

Last edited:

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what my service advisor said, it’s piece that can be purchased separate from the outer rim (just waiting on FCA approval) I’ve ordered the oem new wheel to swap my existing wheel trim on. The reason I want that trim piece warrantied is so I can install it on my new wheel….costs the same as the whole wheel itself.
These are the part numbers see for yourself -

Steering Wheel > 6XR982X7AA
Insert 6 o Clock > 7AW00TX7AA

**reason for all this effort**
Hate buying used cars/ trucks but with supply chain a used limited was all that was available immediately. So new interior trim it is…

For reference, a single paddle shifter on my AMG is more expensive than the entire limited wheel assembly LOL
Would you be able to provide details on removal and installation of the trim piece? I am anticipating having to buy it myself and would like to know how to remove the old and install the new.

Thanks in advance.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yup...don't care though. Hardly notice it, in fact, wouldn't have noticed it at all except for this post.

Stinger19

Reaction score
FYI - I had mine replaced under warranty by the dealer. I can only guess that the discoloration is from the sun.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FYI - I had mine replaced under warranty by the dealer. I can only guess that the discoloration is from the sun.
My original warranty is up but I have an extended warranty that I got from FCA a while ago for an issue I had. I am hoping they will cover it under that warranty. I don't think it's from the sun because my truck is always parked away from the sun and I use a shade when it's facing the sun. Who knows. Maybe the heated wheel?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's not likely to be covered under your extended warranty, but it's worth a try of course.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not likely to be covered under your extended warranty, but it's worth a try of course.
Thanks. Always worth a try. If not I'll have to buy the piece and figure out how it comes off to replace it.

MannyN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks. Always worth a try. If not I'll have to buy the piece and figure out how it comes off to replace it.
Just need to pull it out, it just snaps in. Be prepared to pay about $175 for that piece.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just need to pull it out, it just snaps in. Be prepared to pay about $175 for that piece.
I figured it would be expensive. Mine is pretty bad and irritates me so I'll suck it up if the dealer won't warranty it. Thanks for the info.

speedracernc

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to see if they can sand and re-clear this part? Might be worth a try. The price is over 200 plus shipping now.

Anyone have luck with getting covered with the mopar auto appearance warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread