5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering column rattle

blindmanj9

Reaction score
I have taken my 2019 Ram 1500 into the dealership many times but they are unable to find whats causing a loud irritating sound coming from around the steering column. After the last visit they told me they are doing everything they can to fix the problem. When i asked why they are not changing out the steering column they told me this is a known issue and Chrysler will not allow them to replace the steering column until the engineers can find out exactly what the problem is. My question to the forum is Have any of you heard of this? Are we just supposed to drive the truck and listen to the obnoxious rattle in hopes of them resolving the issue? And if they dont what?

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have taken my 2019 Ram 1500 into the dealership many times but they are unable to find whats causing a loud irritating sound coming from around the steering column. After the last visit they told me they are doing everything they can to fix the problem. When i asked why they are not changing out the steering column they told me this is a known issue and Chrysler will not allow them to replace the steering column until the engineers can find out exactly what the problem is. My question to the forum is Have any of you heard of this? Are we just supposed to drive the truck and listen to the obnoxious rattle in hopes of them resolving the issue? And if they dont what?

I apologize for the trouble, @blindmanj9. If it would be of interest, our team is just a private message away and we would be more than willing to learn additional details of your situation to determine how to best assist you at this point as you work with your dealer.

Mark
RamCares

ICT_RAM

Reaction score
I have taken my truck in 3 or 4 times for the steering wheel noise and they have been unsuccessful in finding it and fixing it. It gets worse when the weather gets cold for whatever reason. The last time it was in, the Service Manager told me the noise was not loud enough to be a concern. I have about 1500 more miles before the warranty runs out and 2 or 3 more months before it gets cold again. Id be interested in what RamCares does in your situation.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have taken my truck in 3 or 4 times for the steering wheel noise and they have been unsuccessful in finding it and fixing it. It gets worse when the weather gets cold for whatever reason. The last time it was in, the Service Manager told me the noise was not loud enough to be a concern. I have about 1500 more miles before the warranty runs out and 2 or 3 more months before it gets cold again. Id be interested in what RamCares does in your situation.

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of your situation, @ICT_RAM. I am deeply sorry for the trouble. If you would be willing to try and address this further with your dealer, or another local Ram dealer, we would be more than willing to ensure that both you and your dealer have an additional layer of support while addressing this concern.

Our team is always a private message away!

Mark
RamCares

jman307

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my steering wheel area. Not sure if its the column or something like the clock spring. It rattles primarily at highway speeds hitting bumps. It is VERY annoying specially for a $50K truck. I haven't taken it into the dealer yet but planning to very soon.

Gozar

Reaction score
I just started getting this steering column rattle. I noticed it on a drive from Boise to Ogden to attend a funeral.
Called the Ogden dealer but they could not get me in until a week out, at which time I would be back in Boise, so had a local trusted shop look over suspension as I was a
little concerned something was loose underneath.
they said they checked everything and the rattle is from somewhere inside the dash...

Did you ever get this problem fixed? I will drop it off at my dealer Monday next week.

Umamimon

Reaction score
I had a buzzing rattle that only appeared on certain highway bumps at speed. I spent forever knocking on the dash and steering column but it ended up being in the driver footwell. I think it was either coming from the two square electrical harness connections near the brake pedal and/or the cable where the ebrake penetrates the firewall. I wedged some foam between the electrical connectors and wrapped some thick tape around the ebrake cable. No more buzzing

jreusink

Reaction score
I'm wondering if this is caused by the metal cable inside the plastic sheath covering for the hood release. It's the only thing I can get to rattle when knocking around.

PMWIGGINS

Reaction score
I have the same problem the dealer replaced the column bearing that goes through the fire wall but that did nothing to fix the issue and it’s getting worse by the day. Now the dealer won’t get back to me to fix the issue. I need this to be fixed badly. It gets worse when I’m towing a trailer. I feel like it’s not safe to drive.

Gozar

Reaction score
Update that is overdue, they finally found the issue - my eTorque module was completely loose. I never thought to check that.:(

richieoki123

Reaction score
I have the same issue with my steering wheel area. Not sure if its the column or something like the clock spring. It rattles primarily at highway speeds hitting bumps. It is VERY annoying specially for a $50K truck. I haven't taken it into the dealer yet but planning to very soon.
Having the same issues.. any luck resolving the issue?

Users who are viewing this thread