5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steering column boot

Kapnbill

Reaction score
I really like the new interior and am getting ready to order. However one thing I really dislike is the cheap looking fabric boot around the steering wheel. I think it looks like it was off an old jeep and detracts from the whole cabin. I haven't seen this in other brands. Any thoughts? To me it looks like Ram cut a corner here.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't noticed it to be perfectly honest. I'll have to look for that next time I'm in one.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed it when adjusting the steering wheel and thought it looked like an old Dodge - no offense. The 2019 has so many "dash distractions" that you don't tend to notice it unless you are looking at the bottom or side of the steering column.

y4mRYU7bl2fMO3PZhs-fnjrrHkV2Vy6jIUuYbxqNxe0P1vKzBOZCz2_EXxf5K8U-IZ3er4sk7qHMfhIrUjel7dg17EruklQ4SaruTzZ6e80bVOX3jpVeRE5G8miL6bPEWyOPHGx7gr5HhMaVhIimG2bEJsTVnQ-sqe0Yi4GciDtUIBZek5NS7BzVUnnCCoLEjkgTn-AnMSa4ILEMFyMgJm7TA

Maybe some enterprising seat cover company will make a leather upgrade for the boot?

D

Deleted member103

Edwards said:
I noticed it when adjusting the steering wheel and thought it looked like an old Dodge - no offense. The 2019 has so many "dash distractions" that you don't tend to notice it unless you are looking at the bottom or side of the steering column.

y4mRYU7bl2fMO3PZhs-fnjrrHkV2Vy6jIUuYbxqNxe0P1vKzBOZCz2_EXxf5K8U-IZ3er4sk7qHMfhIrUjel7dg17EruklQ4SaruTzZ6e80bVOX3jpVeRE5G8miL6bPEWyOPHGx7gr5HhMaVhIimG2bEJsTVnQ-sqe0Yi4GciDtUIBZek5NS7BzVUnnCCoLEjkgTn-AnMSa4ILEMFyMgJm7TA

Maybe some enterprising seat cover company will make a leather upgrade for the boot?
no no no . . . no 10 foot pole, not going there . . . I have no comment, leave me be on this one !
Don't mind me, I was just in the middle of warding off "the devil" in me ! Is he gone ?
1f914.png

1f607.png
?

Kapnbill

Reaction score
Makes me wonder what they are hiding. Much of the competition has power adjustable steering...surprised Ram doesn’t.

D

Deleted member103

Kapnbill said:
Makes me wonder what they are hiding. Much of the competition has power adjustable steering...surprised Ram doesn’t.
Sounds like someone wants a "self driving" DT !

J

jimh4662@

With my wife in the passenger seat I almost can drive with my eyes shut. That's kinda self driving.

Kapnbill

Reaction score
Sorry guys I meant power adjustments to the steering column. I’m perfectly fine with manual, it just surprised me that with all the other great features they loaded in that this was manual..

D

Deleted member103

Kapnbill said:
Sorry guys I meant power adjustments to the steering column. I’m perfectly fine with manual, it just surprised me that with all the other great features they loaded in that this was manual..
And we all thought you couldn't stand the sight of that ugly rubbery boot-a-ma-thing !
263a.png
1f606.png

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Kapnbill said:
I agree with you. The boot is cheap looking and it's surprising the column isn't powered (& tied into the memory seats). The technology has been around for a while, and on the F-150's for a number of years.

Obviously they didn't do it for cost considerations, but on the upper trim levels I think it should have been included.

EDIT:

Just realized that the Gen 4 Rams didn't have telescoping wheels...despite the trim level. Wut? I'm a little bewildered by that one. Guess I should be glad the new generation has that feature at all.

Users who are viewing this thread