5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting your Ram after the World falls apart?

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unhooking electronics from the power grid (or a battery) does not protect them from all EMP. (There are many variables.)

Think about putting your PCM in your microwave...will it really matter if the PCM has 12v being supplied to it?

At certain energies, the EMP is not disrupting the circuit flow, it is literally creating currents inside the circuit, some of which exceed the design limits of some elements. Since the current is created WITHIN the circuitry, the fuse at the beginning is worthless.

Again...it depends on the energy of the EMP.

Far more likely to have a power outage due to a heat wave, blizzard or a hurricane, etc., that will stress water, food, and temperature.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Well if you have keeping up with things - TSB-22-EMP-2022 should solve the issue for the EMP strike so you can still drive BUT getting gas is a different story. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Totally agree on that which is why I do store enough gas to at least fill the tank, but honestly was already doing that more for any reason.

You know a deliberate high altitude EMP would pretty much be doomsday as it triggers a nuclear war. What other conclusion would you draw?

True. EMP could be used initially and if so, at least have a chance to get out of town. If not, I draw no other conclusions other than we're all screwed.

To think that there would be only an EMP attack is wishful thinking at best. It would be followed by ground attack by conventional weapons and nukes and then comes the invasion. Bugging out brings its own challenges such as clogged roads, finding gas/fuel, bridges and tunnels blown up. If you can get there, Idaho is going to get full because that is where all of the doom and gloom guys say they are going. Good luck.

Oh, mmm brains... the zombies are coming but they wont be infectious They will be hungry though..

I do have an overland bug out route that avoids main roads assuming I am only talking about EMP and assuming have some warning. If not, will crack a beer and sit on the porch.

No infectious zombies but will be hot as hell (radioactively speaking)...lol.

Desert Dawg

Reaction score
Maybe I am taking this wrong myself, but it seems like some folks are getting a little overly critical and off topic. I get it that not everyone cares to think about or engage in some level of prepping. Just not a pleasant topic for any reason (grid going down, war, zombies) as there are certainly many deep rabbit holes you can go down if you want. I just happen to work in the defense industry, and all I can say is that the topic is very much at the forefront of discussion on many levels and therefore on a lot of people's minds and so not just mine.

Even so, I am not trying to promote any extreme thoughts on survival; I don't have a bunker, not trying to store insane inventories of food and water, or maintaining an armory.

But this is a site to discuss our modern 5th Gen Rams, so I simply was curious for those who have thought about things like this (for any reason) if they have also thought about getting their modern vehicles started (especially after an EMP event, whether reasonable or not) to go wherever they want or need to go.

I surely did not intend to offend or cause an argument.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My bugout plan is to...wait for it...bugIN.

All my stuff is at my house. I'm in the exurbs. I've got some good buddies. There's land. There's cattle. There are slow people. ;)

I think it is incumbent upon any head of household to ensure that there is a modicum of resiliency to likely events. Do you have batteries for flashlights? Is there more than one day worth of food in your pantry? (<- Do you even HAVE a pantry???)

Most likely event is a power outage from a thunderstorm, lasting a few hours.

As you deepen your resiliency, and that of your household and friends, you're inherently able to do well in the events that are less and less likely.

If you have 2 weeks worth of food, water, and power, then your son's diabetic girlfriend won't fear her insulin going bad. (Shamelessly stolen from "One Second After", but applicable to my situation.) Even if the powerlines are damaged from a hurricane, let alone just a few hours from a thunderstorm or a day or two from ice/snow closing down the roads.

If you have 2 months worth of food, water, and power, then you and your loved ones are good for a really, really bad hurricane and you won't be a burden upon, or dependent upon, others. Instead, you can assist the recovery.

If you have 2 years worth of food, water, and power, well...ZOMBIE time, baby!

Kidding aside, with long term reserves, then a deep economic recession is an inconvenience, not a life-threatening event. Tomorrow looks very different when you and your family go to bed hungry.

I fully support any level of preparedness. The more, the better.

(Just because they're slow, doesn't mean the shuffling zombies are less dangerous than the running ones... ;) )

Last edited:

brewdad

Reaction score
To think that there would be only an EMP attack is wishful thinking at best. It would be followed by ground attack by conventional weapons and nukes and then comes the invasion. Bugging out brings its own challenges such as clogged roads, finding gas/fuel, bridges and tunnels blown up. If you can get there, Idaho is going to get full because that is where all of the doom and gloom guys say they are going. Good luck.

Oh, mmm brains... the zombies are coming but they wont be infectious They will be hungry though.
Thanks for the info @Crazy Dane----as a day 1 zombie, I will be leading the zombie horde to Idaho & we will be infectious.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Maybe I am taking this wrong myself, but it seems like some folks are getting a little overly critical and off topic. I get it that not everyone cares to think about or engage in some level of prepping. Just not a pleasant topic for any reason (grid going down, war, zombies) as there are certainly many deep rabbit holes you can go down if you want. I just happen to work in the defense industry, and all I can say is that the topic is very much at the forefront of discussion on many levels and therefore on a lot of people's minds and so not just mine.

Even so, I am not trying to promote any extreme thoughts on survival; I don't have a bunker, not trying to store insane inventories of food and water, or maintaining an armory.

But this is a site to discuss our modern 5th Gen Rams, so I simply was curious for those who have thought about things like this (for any reason) if they have also thought about getting their modern vehicles started (especially after an EMP event, whether reasonable or not) to go wherever they want or need to go.

I surely did not intend to offend or cause an argument.
Well fact is EMP likely leads to much much worse because the likely EMP is a high altitude nuke. That happens and the apocalypse is here. Iran lobs a nuke, we lob one back, Russia thinks it might come their way so buttons get pushed. Little Rocket Man won't want to miss out on the action and then China jumps in.

The only ones left in the US are Weather Mt, Cheyenne and a few other locations it is best to not bring up. The rest of us are screwed. I am not worried about my truck starting at that point.

More likely is a lunatic president selling out to the Chicoms for promised riches, depleting national reserves, neutering the military and opening the country to an open invasion. This will be societal breakdown and preps will be vital.

Of course if you read most of the threads on this forum, the 5th Gen trucks will all be incapacitated because they could not get Shell 0-20 oil in time and had to use 5-20 or heaven forbid use 87 octane gas. I mean they are as good as gone.

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score

With Kim Jong Un’s death possible, his successor would be his sister. Perhaps we wouldn’t have to worry about being nuked all the time.​

We’d only have to worry about being nuked once a month!

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If this is actually a concern for you, you need to buy an old school diesel that needs no electrical system once it it started. Only has a starter. Rest of the electric is superfluous.
A older unimog 406 or something.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I pointed out, and surprisingly got zero responses on. Simply removing power(unhooking battery) from your electronics will prevent them from being "fried" by an EMP.
That doesn't work. An EMP INDUCES electrical current. All the wires act an antennas, like a radio, and the voltage fluctuates rapidly causing damage like putting them in a microwave as the fields rapidly pass and collapse.

Reactions: c3k

OleNavyMane

Reaction score
as vehicles continue to increase in sensor, chip, computer, electronics it has always cross my mind to keep an older vehicle on hand just in case, not necessarily because of an attack.
But lets say we get emp attack, I have the vehicle and only keep like 1/4 of a tank full. Would I even be able to fill up at any gas stations near enough to the blast.
...you'd better have that horse and buggy ready to go. Anything more advanced than something running off of a basic steam cycle is going nowhere fast.

rubrduk

Reaction score
So, I have been thinking about this for a while. I am not a fatalist or extreme prepper by any means but world events has me thinking more about the "what ifs".

Of course, we are all bombarded with the insanity going on over in Ukraine, but the insanity may be spreading faster than anyone previously modeled or feared (Russian nuke saber rattling, Chinese Taiwan invasion and South China Seas saber rattling, N. Korean nuke weapons testing and direct threats, Iranian nuke weapon development, NATO expansion due to Russian invasion, U.S. ramping up its defense industry, etc.). The World seems intent of destroying itself. And that's before talking about Climate Change, COVID, or Facebook.

Anyway, probably because I live in Albuquerque, NM which is high on the nuclear hit list due to the presence of two major National Laboratories involved in the U.S. defense R&D and weapons programs, along with the little known tidbit that Albuquerque is the location of the largest storage site of "inactive" nuclear weapons in the U.S. , I began thinking about what to do should we get notice of an impending attack and/or survive one.

To that end, I do keep a few months worth of supplies on hand if/when the Grid goes down and/or need to be readily tossed into my Ram's topper-covered bed for bugging out. Luckily, I do have a remote cabin that is only a 2-3 hour drive out of town which is situated near a small body of water nearby for fishing and drinking, is adjacent to federal forest lands with big and small game hunting, etc., and local wind patterns provide a measure of additional protection from radioactive fallout (sans a full nuclear winter). And, my Ram is already setup for traversing the desert at higher speeds (to avoid highway congestion getting out of town) and getting over mountain roads/trails.

But that assumes that the Ram will even operate after a nuclear attack, and especially an aerial EMP attack which would be quite effective of really disrupting almost everything we use and need for daily living on a grander scale.

I know that most current vehicle manufacturers have designed and built-in some measure of EMP protection (for example, to manage nearby lightning strikes, etc.) but how many of you have considered or already installed any additional EMP protection in your non-diesel Rams to handle larger EMP effects (short of having an older vehicle in great running condition that would not be effected)?

I had seen a few videos for EMP Shield EMP & Lightning Protection for Vehicles (DC-12V-W) but was curious if anyone had other ideas.

My wife has a simpler idea; if there is an impeding attack and I can't get the Ram started, she is going to play ball with our dogs in the front yard.

Attachments

• xh26ldiez4k81.jpeg
    xh26ldiez4k81.jpeg
    107.2 KB · Views: 27

Users who are viewing this thread