5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting Issue

Boggan

Reaction score
So it’s weird. I’ve cycled through accessory and run without hitting the brake for 10 minutes and then it starts, I’ve had it start after I get out, lock it, unlock it, get in, and start it. It’s really weird
I guess I need to try that!!

Aschork16

Reaction score
Its not the brake booster. Pedal is only hard because the brake has been pressed when the truck wasn't running. To start the truck the pedal only needs to be pushed a very small amount, enough for the taillights to come on.

My starter recently went out with only 60k miles. Brake pedal was stiff after pressing it a couple times trying to start it when it wouldn't start. It would start after 20-30 tries of starting it, so it wasn't completely dead but on its way out.

Check the basics first (starter, engine battery, key fob battery, pedal sensor, etc). First thing the tech should do is give the starter a good whack with a hammer and see if truck starts.

Basic diagnoses now days has gone to the wayside
I asked them to check everything. When I go to start it, the brake is stiff from the beginning, and even if I let it sit, it still would not start

ProKubinator

Reaction score
I asked them to check everything. When I go to start it, the brake is stiff from the beginning, and even if I let it sit, it still would not start
My friend just went though the same issue, said they "checked everything". A few days later he was stuck again. Ended up being his starter too. Crazy coincidence with my issue too

Honestly speaking, if it's not throwing a code, the techs dont do a good job diagnosing the issue. Likely due to the time they dont get paid for diagnostic warranty work

skyhawk42

Reaction score
Have you tried the remote start when this happens? Just curious because that doesn’t rely on the brake pedal and if it is related to vacuum, once the remote start kicks in it should build vacuum again

Boggan

Reaction score
What does the dash say when it wont start? Will the truck go into accessory or run?
I can cycle thru accessory and run. I see the check engine light flash then stay on. I honestly never noticed that before because it's always started. Maybe I should have been more observant.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can cycle thru accessory and run. I see the check engine light flash then stay on. I honestly never noticed that before because it's always started. Maybe I should have been more observant.
KIN is working and RFH is responding to button pushes. The check engine light is normal. I would suspect a starter issue. Do the brakes lights work when pushing on the brake pedal?

Aschork16

Reaction score
My friend just went though the same issue, said they "checked everything". A few days later he was stuck again. Ended up being his starter too. Crazy coincidence with my issue too

Honestly speaking, if it's not throwing a code, the techs dont do a good job diagnosing the issue. Likely due to the time they dont get paid for diagnostic warranty work

Boggan

Reaction score
KIN is working and RFH is responding to button pushes. The check engine light is normal. I would suspect a starter issue. Do the brakes lights work when pushing on the brake pedal?
I can't tell because it's daytime and I'm by myself. I'll have to find something to rest against brake pedal and look. I'm currently trying other things.

Boggan

Reaction score
Have you tried the remote start when this happens? Just curious because that doesn’t rely on the brake pedal and if it is related to vacuum, once the remote start kicks in it should build vacuum again
Not sure about OP, but my truck doesn't have remote start.

Aschork16

Reaction score
My check engine light doesn’t come on. Everything is normal other than the brake if stuff and the truck not starting

Boggan

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is right place to post this because I'm on my phone. Just moved and no internet. Ok, checked all fuses, replaced battery and changed starter relay etc. I even bought a new starter in attemp to change. 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7 Hemi. There is no way in hell to remove starter because of failed engineering design of that multi Angeled steel plate that goes around the starter. ANY swivel/socket/extension combo will NOT work because there is no clearance! Not sure about removing that plate because of what else it is mounted to. Still have warranty left and probably have to get them to repair. Long tow and gonna cost me! I have done majority of scheduled maintenance myself and have kept a log of everything. Designing things on the computer looks great....But, hands on is best. I'd love to know the tricks of mechanics at dealerships on how to resolve this starting issue!!!

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is right place to post this because I'm on my phone. Just moved and no internet. Ok, checked all fuses, replaced battery and changed starter relay etc. I even bought a new starter in attemp to change. 2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7 Hemi. There is no way in hell to remove starter because of failed engineering design of that multi Angeled steel plate that goes around the starter. ANY swivel/socket/extension combo will NOT work because there is no clearance! Not sure about removing that plate because of what else it is mounted to. Still have warranty left and probably have to get them to repair. Long tow and gonna cost me! I have done majority of scheduled maintenance myself and have kept a log of everything. Designing things on the computer looks great....But, hands on is best. I'd love to know the tricks of mechanics at dealerships on how to resolve this starting issue!!!
Warranty covers towing to the closest dealer.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The starter comes out, I have done many. A chrome swivel socket is needed.

Users who are viewing this thread