5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starting Issue

Aschork16

Reaction score
My 2020 1500 is in the shop right now. I go to start it, the brake is completely stiff, hence not being able to start. My service advisor had never heard of this issue. I took it in a month ago for the same thing, and I was the first person they’ve ever heard of having this problem. Has anyone else experienced this?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
The brake is stiff because the brake booster doesn't have vacuum. If the vehicle is off it has a tiny bit of vacuum stored, once you press the brake pedal a few times it uses up all the vacuum. It could be bleeding down overnight, but is probably unrelated to not starting.

First thing to check would be the battery

Aschork16

Reaction score
The brake is stiff because the brake booster doesn't have vacuum. If the vehicle is off it has a tiny bit of vacuum stored, once you press the brake pedal a few times it uses up all the vacuum. It could be bleeding down overnight, but is probably unrelated to not starting.

First thing to check would be the battery
So I got everything tested, battery, ecu, all of that. It’s all good. Since it’s a push button, I need to have the ability to push the brake to start it. I don’t have that ability so it won’t start. I’ve gotten multiple opinions and they all said brake booster, but since it’s under warranty, I need to take it to the dealership and they claim they can only do anything if the starting issue happens to them. I told them to keep it until it’s fixed because it’s happening 5-6 times a week now

6of36

Reaction score
So I got everything tested, battery, ecu, all of that. It’s all good. Since it’s a push button, I need to have the ability to push the brake to start it. I don’t have that ability so it won’t start. I’ve gotten multiple opinions and they all said brake booster, but since it’s under warranty, I need to take it to the dealership and they claim they can only do anything if the starting issue happens to them. I told them to keep it until it’s fixed because it’s happening 5-6 times a week now
Take a video, then they can see it. It's true, if they can't duplicate the problem, they can't see it, therefore can't fix it.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A brake booster will not cause the no start. The pedal barely has to move for the brake switch to be able to start. How do you get it started if you can't push on the brake pedal?

6of36

Reaction score
A brake booster will not cause the no start. The pedal barely has to move for the brake switch to be able to start. How do you get it started if you can't push on the brake pedal?
If the pedal doesn't move at all, which is how I read it, it can prevent it.

6of36

Reaction score
Try jumping the brake light switch, when it won't start, to see if it's because of it not moving enough.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Try jumping the brake light switch, when it won't start, to see if it's because of it not moving enough.
You sure he wants to do that? Do you know how the brake pedal sensor works? This isn't your 1992 Ram brake switch.

6of36

Reaction score
You sure he wants to do that? Do you know how the brake pedal sensor works? This isn't your 1992 Ram brake switch.
Just for testing. It would prove that is the problem.

6of36

Reaction score
I haven't been under a dash in years. I guess a schematic would be in order. Is there still an adjustment like an older brake light switch, to slide it back from the pedal? There has to be some way to over ride it.

Boggan

Reaction score
My 2020 1500 is in the shop right now. I go to start it, the brake is completely stiff, hence not being able to start. My service advisor had never heard of this issue. I took it in a month ago for the same thing, and I was the first person they’ve ever heard of having this problem. Has anyone else experienced this?
I'm experiencing the exact same thing as of yesterday. Although my battery was needing replaced. So, new battery installed and still have stiff break pedal and won't start. Hopefully get an answer to resolve this issue.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm experiencing the exact same thing as of yesterday. Although my battery was needing replaced. So, new battery installed and still have stiff break pedal and won't start. Hopefully get an answer to resolve this issue.
What does the dash say when it wont start? Will the truck go into accessory or run?

Aschork16

Reaction score
Hopefully. It’s really screwing things up

Aschork16

Reaction score
So it’s weird. I’ve cycled through accessory and run without hitting the brake for 10 minutes and then it starts, I’ve had it start after I get out, lock it, unlock it, get in, and start it. It’s really weird

ProKubinator

Reaction score
Its not the brake booster. Pedal is only hard because the brake has been pressed when the truck wasn't running. To start the truck the pedal only needs to be pushed a very small amount, enough for the taillights to come on.

My starter recently went out with only 60k miles. Brake pedal was stiff after pressing it a couple times trying to start it when it wouldn't start. It would start after 20-30 tries of starting it, so it wasn't completely dead but on its way out.

Check the basics first (starter, engine battery, key fob battery, pedal sensor, etc). First thing the tech should do is give the starter a good whack with a hammer and see if truck starts.

Basic diagnoses now days has gone to the wayside

Boggan

Reaction score
Hopefully. It’s really screwing things up
I'm kinda stuck at this moment. My Jeep is down with bad fuel pump and only other source of transportation is my motorcycle which is in my building blocked by a truck that won't start hahaha.

Users who are viewing this thread