5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starter replacement

KarsonR

Reaction score
Has anyone replace the starter on a E torque yet? I’m referring to the actual starter on the motor. I had a battery die I may replaced the battery with a new one and now I’ve had to hit the starter a couple times with a hammer to get it to start. The starters just clicking. Haven’t had a chance to actually replace it yet didn’t know if anyone has had to do this

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Has anyone replace the starter on a E torque yet? I’m referring to the actual starter on the motor. I had a battery die I may replaced the battery with a new one and now I’ve had to hit the starter a couple times with a hammer to get it to start. The starters just clicking. Haven’t had a chance to actually replace it yet didn’t know if anyone has had to do this
what year is your truck?

KarsonR

Reaction score
2019 limited . Had a really slow crank the other day. Put A new battery in the other day and it’s been fine, now starter started doing this

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The starter is the same between the non-etorque and etorque if I'm not mistaken.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
How bad is the swap out?
I seriously doubt that many people here have swapped out a starter yet. Did you search for any videos on it? You could always do a write-up for the forum when you replace it.

KarsonR

Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies. After a few phone calls it looks like the starter still covered under the power train warranty. I still have to get it towed to the dealer

anewby67

Reaction score
I seriously doubt that many people here have swapped out a starter yet. Did you search for any videos on it? You could always do a write-up for the forum when you replace it.

I’ve looked all over the web and can’t find a video! Damnit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for all the quick replies. After a few phone calls it looks like the starter still covered under the power train warranty. I still have to get it towed to the dealer
could be interesting when the dealer tech sees hammer marks on the starter....tell them "it must have been rocks bouncing up under the truck".

jmrhodes212

Reaction score
Sometimes I am amazed at all the items that are covered under the powertrain warranty. I wouldn't have thought they would include this. Good on Ram!

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sometimes I am amazed at all the items that are covered under the powertrain warranty. I wouldn't have thought they would include this. Good on Ram!
I would be surprised if it actually is covered by powertrain. 3/36 yes.

script

Reaction score
I assumed the etorque motor/gen was also the starter and there wasn't a traditional starter. It appears my assumption was incorrect. Is the etorque motor ever used for starting?

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I assumed the etorque motor/gen was also the starter and there wasn't a traditional starter. It appears my assumption was incorrect. Is the etorque motor ever used for starting?
They etorque motor/gen is used to start the engine only when start/stop is activated. There is a starter under the truck used when starting the engine with the push to start button.

Vallgera

Reaction score
Need some starter help, my truck starts fine most of the time. about every 4th start it will make a screeching noise and won't start. Then on the next crank it will start just fine. Any ideas? Powertrain warranty just expired. 2019 1500 Laramie. HELP

Rambo85

Reaction score
Yeah, I just had to do mine on a 2020. The black plate does NOT come off the way it did with the 4th Gen. You just need to disconnect the starter first so you have some room to pull it out. You'll need elbows and extensions but it's pretty quick

Boggan

Reaction score
Yeah, I just had to do mine on a 2020. The black plate does NOT come off the way it did with the 4th Gen. You just need to disconnect the starter first so you have some room to pull it out. You'll need elbows and extensions but it's pretty quick
Please tell me how you did this on a 2020! I've tried swivel 15mm socket with extensions and more swivel knuckles and cand even get them onto the bottom bolt of starter because lack of clearance from the black plate!!

Users who are viewing this thread