5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Starter replacement

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Please tell me how you did this on a 2020! I've tried swivel 15mm socket with extensions and more swivel knuckles and cand even get them onto the bottom bolt of starter because lack of clearance from the black plate!!
Read post #16

Boggan

Reaction score
Read post #16
I call BS on this! That's for a 2022. They redesigned that plate because they knew it was designed incorrectly and the starter can not be removed on 2020 and 2021 as described!

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Please tell me how you did this on a 2020! I've tried swivel 15mm socket with extensions and more swivel knuckles and cand even get them onto the bottom bolt of starter because lack of clearance from the black plate!!
You don't have any info in your signature. I thought you had a 2020. In that case, look at post #14. You pull the metal piece off.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You don't have any info in your signature. I thought you had a 2020. In that case, look at post #14. You pull the metal piece off.
The metal bracket he is talking about does not come off. It did on the 4th gens.

KOTxPool

Reaction score
Just got to work on replacing mine today, the lower bolt is difficult but I found that a little gentle prying on the black frame support/mount with a screwdriver etc gives it just enough clearance to get the socket on but couldn’t get the bolts off earlier. As for the rest that’s yet to be determined, haven’t gotten back to it, but will shortly be figuring it out one way or another. Sockets, elbows and all it ain’t easy to get to as I’m finding out!

KOTxPool

Reaction score
Starter is in so the rest is pretty easy.. once I found the right way to make the lower bolt accessible it goes pretty quick with the right tools. Nothing special just various size extensions with an elbow, also a 6-point chrome deep socket instead of a 15pt etc as it gives better grip/torque depending on where you have room to get your arms some leverage. I found going almost straight back arms around exhaust was best,

IMG_3592.jpeg IMG_3595.jpeg IMG_3589.jpeg IMG_3591.jpeg IMG_3596.jpeg IMG_3592.jpeg IMG_3595.jpeg IMG_3589.jpeg IMG_3591.jpeg IMG_3596.jpeg

slewgear202

Reaction score
just did a starter in my 2019 ram 1500. about an hour to do. Fallowed most of what was posted here. managed to get lower starter bolt with out having to pry that black bracket. used a chrome swivel with a shallow 15mm. and a 6" extension all 3/8 drive. I think I fought more trying to stick the starter in and lining it up then messing with hardware.
thanks for the pics this thread was a big help

skidz88

Reaction score
I just did this....twice. My starter died so I bought one from Autozone, and it bolted up but the connecter was different so I took it out again and second time found a dealer with one in stock.

Job takes about an hour to do. Helps to have the right tools. I didn't have to mess with the black bracket that covers the lower bolt, just used a shallow 15mm and skinny 3/8 swivel. Helps to have various extensions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online