5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start up clanking noise

Billy Garcia

Reaction score
Someone know the reason for this sound when start up my RAM ? Clank Noise!
I’m so frustrated!!!

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine does it too; just not every start. The dealer couldn't duplicate it. I think its just drivetrain slack and dependent upon how it was parked. If you find out otherwise and get it fixed; please post the solution. I have given up on reporting it.

KRField

Reaction score
I have it every once in a while. I can’t figure out what conditions can trip it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
WOW! You're awesome for getting that on video! The driveshaft movement is definitely a sign something is wrong! That's not supposed to happen!

retho78

Reaction score
I have a 2019 RAM 1500 with 400 miles on it and just heard the loud clank as well.

Has anyone able to get this resolved?

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tried playing with the brake during startup... since most agree it doesn't happen during remote starts.

Try applying very slight pressure to the brake and release as soon as the starter engages. For my experience it makes no clank.

Apply heavy brake pedal pressure throughout the starting process and the clank is there.

More investigation to follow.

retho78

Reaction score
Tried playing with the brake during startup... since most agree it doesn't happen during remote starts.

Try applying very slight pressure to the brake and release as soon as the starter engages. For my experience it makes no clank.

Apply heavy brake pedal pressure throughout the starting process and the clank is there.

Thank you

Billy James

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Somebody mentioned that on another thread. It is legitimate....definitely something with the brake. I now just lightly press the brake and release it as soon as I hit start and have not had a clank since then. I think it may be that the parking pawl is making the clank when you press the brake hard and hold it in.

50Front

Reaction score
I read on here about the brake pressure, and it works for me. Light pressure = no clank. I've had this since the truck was new. Dealer said it was normal! We all know this cant be normal or as designed but atleast i dont have to hear it anymore.

dallas

Reaction score
I don't think this is brake related. This noise is most likely attributed to the slack in the auto 4WD system. When the truck sits while parked, there is some (read: very slight) movement from then to when you start it. This "slack" is from the drive train no longer having tension to propel the truck. You don't need to have the truck in Auto to experience the noise- it's just the transfer case taking up the slack. Pressing the brakes believe it or not just helps create the tension again and might affect the slack (noise).

Do any of these trucks make this noise without Auto 4WD? If so, how does the transfer case differ from the non Auto 4WD trucks?

NDRam

Reaction score
Mine does this as well, not as loudly, but it does it. Seems to be only first thing in the morning when coming out of the garage.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't think this is brake related. This noise is most likely attributed to the slack in the auto 4WD system. When the truck sits while parked, there is some (read: very slight) movement from then to when you start it. This "slack" is from the drive train no longer having tension to propel the truck. You don't need to have the truck in Auto to experience the noise- it's just the transfer case taking up the slack. Pressing the brakes believe it or not just helps create the tension again and might affect the slack (noise).

Do any of these trucks make this noise without Auto 4WD? If so, how does the transfer case differ from the non Auto 4WD trucks?

I don't think it's that, happens to 2WD trucks as well.

In the original thread, there seems to be a correlation to how hard you press the brake when you press the start button. Other people mentioned that when they remote start they don't hear it.

However, a few days ago, I got 3-4 clanks after hitting the remote start, so that doesn't seem to be right either. However, if I start the truck with just a light press of the brakes, it doesn't clank.

SD Rebel

Reaction score

It happened to me on a remote start a few days ago, 3-4 clanks in close secession!

However, as you mentioned, light pressure on the brakes, no clank.

NDRam

Reaction score
Mine does this as well, not as loudly, but it does it. Seems to be only first thing in the morning when coming out of the garage.

Foot off the brake this morning immediately after pressing the start button. No clank. FYI.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've tried all sorts of different pedal pressures and I can't get it to clank or not clank consistently. I'm suspicious it has to do with drivetrain slack as mentioned above, but not in the tcase, but either in the rear end flange, or the driveshaft spline(s) for the slip yoke.

I'm gonna add another test for you guys, Instead of paying attention to brake pressure when you start the truck, pay attention to brake pressure when you park the truck and the auto parking brake engages. I often add brake pressure while the auto parking brake is engaging, it order to get it to hold the truck, as it still rocks into park if I don't touch the brake. I'm ocd about that stuff, and I'm always the person who puts the e-brake on, lets off the service brakes, and THEN puts a vehicle into park. It's just good practice, because doing the opposite (park fist, then let off brakes, then ebrake) does not relieve the parking pawl of the stresses of the vehicles weight when on a hill. I'm still playing with my data on setting the brake pressure when parking, if you guys wan't to add to it, that'd be great.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I've tried all sorts of different pedal pressures and I can't get it to clank or not clank consistently. I'm suspicious it has to do with drivetrain slack as mentioned above, but not in the tcase, but either in the rear end flange, or the driveshaft spline(s) for the slip yoke.

I'm gonna add another test for you guys, Instead of paying attention to brake pressure when you start the truck, pay attention to brake pressure when you park the truck and the auto parking brake engages. I often add brake pressure while the auto parking brake is engaging, it order to get it to hold the truck, as it still rocks into park if I don't touch the brake. I'm ocd about that stuff, and I'm always the person who puts the e-brake on, lets off the service brakes, and THEN puts a vehicle into park. It's just good practice, because doing the opposite (park fist, then let off brakes, then ebrake) does not relieve the parking pawl of the stresses of the vehicles weight when on a hill. I'm still playing with my data on setting the brake pressure when parking, if you guys wan't to add to it, that'd be great.

I'm the same way with parking, I always apply the parking brake, release to let it settle, then put it in park. I've noticed with auto parking brake, it still settles a little which means there is pressure put on the pawl, so I don't use it.

I thought the same thing, how I apply the parking brake effects the slack in the driveline which could effect the noise we hear from time to time. I'll keep an eye on it as well.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm the same way with parking, I always apply the parking brake, release to let it settle, then put it in park. I've noticed with auto parking brake, it still settles a little which means there is pressure put on the pawl, so I don't use it.

I thought the same thing, how I apply the parking brake effects the slack in the driveline which could effect the noise we hear from time to time. I'll keep an eye on it as well.

I have mine on auto all the time, but I add brake pressure as it's engaging and that seems to help it hold on hills. I might try turning off the auto feature and just doing it the "old fashioned" way where I press the button manually.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have mine on auto all the time, but I add brake pressure as it's engaging and that seems to help it hold on hills. I might try turning off the auto feature and just doing it the "old fashioned" way where I press the button manually.

That's a good idea, I'll give it a try because that would be a bit more convenient.

For the RAM, after stopping, I put the dial in N, then pull up the e-brake switch, once engaged I release the brake and let it settle, then you have to put your foot on the brake again so you can turn the dial to P. Takes a moment more, but it gives me piece of mind for my auto pawl.

However, I'll try your extra brake pressure technique and see if I notice it settle on autobrake.

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Watching the thread as well - glad you got it on video OP; my Rebel does it from time to time; sometimes loud enough to make passengers notice and feel it in the floor.

your video is spot on.

Users who are viewing this thread