5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start/stop

Jjmonr03

Reaction score
2023 bighorn- start/stop seems to only work if air is off. I tried auto and hoping when it virtually stopped(cabin was to temp) it would engage but no luck.

Is this the norm or am I having issues. I have read once cabin get to temp and battery is properly charged the start/stop will engage but hay hasn’t seemed to be the case for me yet.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Mine works like it should as you say. If I have AC set to 68 or 70 and it isn't too hot out, the engine will shutoff at a stop after the interior is at temp.

RMO

Reaction score
One of the info screens on the cluster display tells you when it is inactive and why. Mine has only worked when the climate system is turned off, but I have only had the truck a few weeks.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I wish the stop/start wouldn't have worked on my previous truck. It would have saved me the $99 I spent on an autostop eliminator to disable it LOL. It's hard to believe that some people want stop/start.

@BrandonSmith nice post. Thanks for saving me the work of looking that up.

vincentw56

Reaction score
I wish the stop/start wouldn't have worked on my previous truck. It would have saved me the $99 I spent on an autostop eliminator to disable it LOL. It's hard to believe that some people want stop/start.

@BrandonSmith nice post. Thanks for saving me the work of looking that up.
And I'm on the other side wondering why people don't like it. It's seemless and quick to start. Saves on fuel and emissions. And has zero downsides except it adds a little more complexity to the truck. But that's not what this thread is about. It wasn't about liking it or not, the OP was wondering why his wasn't working.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
And I'm on the other side wondering why people don't like it. It's seemless and quick to start. Saves on fuel and emissions. And has zero downsides except it adds a little more complexity to the truck. But that's not what this thread is about. It wasn't about liking it or not, the OP was wondering why his wasn't working.
The downside I hate is when it is 110*F outside and the A/C stops blowing cold, instead blowing warm-ish humid air at me.
Or when I'm in rush hour traffic creeping along with foot on the brake pedal at 1-2 mph, I might need to press a little harder and the engine shuts off, truck abruptly stops, I let of the brake and engine kicks back on. Happens constantly.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Agreed, this thread has a different topic. But just to answer your question my reasons track with and were very well summed up by @BrandonSmith in the previous post. Along with the fact that I don't like my engine shutting off and turning on over and over. When I want to save gas I'll drive one of our other cars.

Jjmonr03

Reaction score
One of the info screens on the cluster display tells you when it is inactive and why. Mine has only worked when the climate system is turned off, but I have only had the truck a few weeks.
I have had mine a week and I have experienced the same

Jjmonr03

Reaction score
The downside I hate is when it is 110*F outside and the A/C stops blowing cold, instead blowing warm-ish humid air at me.
Or when I'm in rush hour traffic creeping along with foot on the brake pedal at 1-2 mph, I might need to press a little harder and the engine shuts off, truck abruptly stops, I let of the brake and engine kicks back on. Happens constantly.
I have not had it turn my ac off to engage in start/stop thats what brought me here. I wouldn’t mind that option with the seasons about to change in VA but I didn’t see any option to enable it to turn off ac to engage start/stop

RamCares

Reaction score
2023 bighorn- start/stop seems to only work if air is off. I tried auto and hoping when it virtually stopped(cabin was to temp) it would engage but no luck.

Is this the norm or am I having issues. I have read once cabin get to temp and battery is properly charged the start/stop will engage but hay hasn’t seemed to be the case for me yet.
Hi,
We recommend visiting a dealership to get a diagnosis. If you need further assistance once you set up an appointment, please send us a private message. We will be happy to help you.
Sylvia
Ram Cares

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
I have not had it turn my ac off to engage in start/stop thats what brought me here. I wouldn’t mind that option with the seasons about to change in VA but I didn’t see any option to enable it to turn off ac to engage start/stop
Maybe you misunderstood. When Autostop activates, the fan still blows but the a/c is not active (the compressor doesn’t run). Very noticeable on 90*F+ days.

Jjmonr03

Reaction score
Maybe you misunderstood. When Autostop activates, the fan still blows but the a/c is not active (the compressor doesn’t run). Very noticeable on 90*F+ days.
I understand. What I was saying is in the last week(got the truck Monday)start/stip has not engaged a single time when I have had air on. I have really been driving mainly city so maybe it’s one of the other factors preventing it. Im going on a road trip this weekend so I should find out a little more

Velocity

Reaction score
If you have the air temperature set lower than the actual cabin temperature the auto stop will not happen. I have never had mine stop with the A/C set to “Lo”. Turn the air up to 70ish and mine will stop most days. Same goes for when it’s cold. If you have it set at 80 but the cabin is 60, it won’t stop.

mike146

Reaction score
Usually have temp set for 72 in summer and 68 in winter. In about 18 months, only had a problem twice, but not since I had flash update.

And in traffic, lots of stop and go, I just shut it off. Agree with others during high traffic, it sucks when it stops just as you have to go again.

Velocity

Reaction score
I live in south Louisiana so I keep mine on lo in the summer and in the 70’s in fall, winter, and spring. So mine never shuts down when it’s super hot out. I don’t have any complaints about the Start/Stop in the Ram, to me, it is the best system out there for Start/Stop. The ones that use the starter have way too much delay.

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
I live in south Louisiana so I keep mine on lo in the summer and in the 70’s in fall, winter, and spring. So mine never shuts down when it’s super hot out. I don’t have any complaints about the Start/Stop in the Ram, to me, it is the best system out there for Start/Stop. The ones that use the starter have way too much delay.
Yep, you bring up a good point. When set to 'Lo' (or Max A/C) the Autostop will not function because the HVAC is in Cooling mode constantly. The same is true when set to max heat 'Hi'.

DeanM2

Reaction score
I don’t have any complaints about the Start/Stop in the Ram, to me, it is the best system out there for Start/Stop. The ones that use the starter have way too much delay.
Had my new Ram (with eTorque) for 2 weeks now, and don't know much about the mechanics of the Stop-Start system. It doesn't use the starter??? Then, how does it restart the engine?

vincentw56

Reaction score
Had my new Ram (with eTorque) for 2 weeks now, and don't know much about the mechanics of the Stop-Start system. It doesn't use the starter??? Then, how does it restart the engine?
It uses the eTorque motor on top of the engine and the 48 volt battery. The starter is used for the initial push button start. Then the eTorque motor does it during stop/start.

Users who are viewing this thread