5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Start/Stop Button Won't Work

Kovy23

Reaction score
Came home from works to find that my start/stop button wouldn't work. Took me almost an hour to figure it out. Long story short I got it to start the next morning after a few tries and got it to start. Went to the dealer who said 1. They are two weeks out. 2. They would obviously need to keep it to diagnose as they've never heard of it before. 3. The dealer "has never given out a loaner" and I'd have to rent a truck for however long they kept it for.

Overall poor customer service from the dealer. I understand being busy and holiday season upon us. But it's frustrating when I need my truck as I work construction and they offered me almost zero help.

Has anyone else ran into this problem? It's not even a year old with about 19,000 on it.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
get a second vehicle, suck it up and pay for a rental or find another dealer. Dealers have been downgrading since the pandemic started and that includes reducing their loaner fleet. 15 yrs ago, dealers didn't have loaners. You left you car at the dealer and either paid for a rental or had a friend take you places.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
get a second vehicle, suck it up and pay for a rental or find another dealer. Dealers have been downgrading since the pandemic started and that includes reducing their loaner fleet. 15 yrs ago, dealers didn't have loaners. You left you car at the dealer and either paid for a rental or had a friend take you places.
How long did the dealer have your car 15 years ago?

Kovy23

Reaction score
Ahh yes, I can get a rental truck, pay hundreds of dollars that I don't need to spend, just to drive around a construction site all day long. If you don't have something informative / helpful (which is the point of a forum), then there's no need for negativity, especially on Christmas. Have a good one my guy!

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ahh yes, I can get a rental truck, pay hundreds of dollars that I don't need to spend, just to drive around a construction site all day long. If you don't have something informative / helpful (which is the point of a forum), then there's no need for negativity, especially on Christmas. Have a good one my guy!
not being negative, trying to give you options. What do you expect the dealer to do for you if they don't give out loaners and they are 2 weeks out? Should think about investing in a second car if you run into issues like this.

Florida Truck

Reaction score
If it’s under warranty the dealer should absolutely get you a loaner vehicle. My dealer has given me a loaner twice now for warranty issues. Sometimes my start button hasn’t worked, but when I reposition my key fob in my pocket it works. Somehow I think the key fob signal is blocked by my phone. Getting a backup vehicle is a ridicules solution. Reach out to Ram Cares for help with the loaner

Kicker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dealer didn't have any loaners so he called Enterprise and had them drop a car off for me.

If you dealer stock sucks, try calling around and locate a button at another dealership or buy one of those RED ones online. You will have it in less than a week.

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had a honda civic back then and they had it for about a week for several issues. I paid for a rental so I could go to school and work. Never complained about it.
15 years ago I don't recall problems with time and repairs. 20+ years ago took Ford 3 tries to stop my rear main seal from leaking on my 94 Explorer, I believe they were trying to take the easy way out on the first 2 tries. 45 years ago, had some problems with waiting for parts for a FIAT 124 Sport Coupe.

I like the dealership I bought my Ram at, travel a 1/2 hour or better to get there along with tolls and the parts and service are nice people, even bring them cake and pastries from the neighborhood bakery. But the time frame they take to get things done is not good. I understand some of the things they are up against. Qualified mechanics are very difficult to come by. I know several shops that need mechanics and the vehicles are a lot more involved today than years ago. Mechanics lose days in the shop for training. Inventory in the supply chain has been kept to the minimum for cost savings.

I have additional vehicles and do not require my Ram for my livelihood so leaving it at the dealership for an extended period does not impose a logistical issue. The time frame for warranty services for my Ram were not good. In some circumstances could have been diagnosed while I waited, parts ordered and on my way with my Ram until the parts came in but that is not the way things are done.

I'm very happy with my Ram, understand the complications involved with today's vehicles, like my dealership but they need to do a better job and so does Ram as it seems to be a recurring theme on the Forum.

One sister in law drove a Lexus and a BMW and had loaners. Another sister in law had a hybrid Escape that needed service and she drove a loaner for months.

If a vehicle is required (when getting serviced) than that is something that needs to be calculated in your buying process, both brand and dealership. Right now supply and demand puts the dealership in the driver's seat.

When I see people with a Ram I ask them how they like it. Not everyone is happy as the members on the forum and are not returning to Ram when their lease is up.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
If it’s under warranty the dealer should absolutely get you a loaner vehicle. My dealer has given me a loaner twice now for warranty issues. Sometimes my start button hasn’t worked, but when I reposition my key fob in my pocket it works. Somehow I think the key fob signal is blocked by my phone. Getting a backup vehicle is a ridicules solution. Reach out to Ram Cares for help with the loaner
No requirements to provide a loaner. It's up to individual dealerships as they are privately owned. A decent dealer will provide a loaner, or a rental.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
not being negative, trying to give you options. What do you expect the dealer to do for you if they don't give out loaners and they are 2 weeks out? Should think about investing in a second car if you run into issues like this.
Not everyone can afford a second vehicle, or have the ability to pay for a rental for unknown amount of time. That's cool you are in a position to be able to do that, but doesn't mean it's feasible for others.

HRCfan1

Reaction score

Sad times when vehicles and dealers are so unreliable that having a ”backup vehicle” is an acceptable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cdpoke

Reaction score
How did you get the button to work? I ran into this issue yesterday and couldn’t get my truck to turn off. Please keep us updated on what you learn about your issue.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not everyone can afford a second vehicle, or have the ability to pay for a rental for unknown amount of time. That's cool you are in a position to be able to do that, but doesn't mean it's feasible for others.
Not saying people need to go out and buy another $40K truck as a second vehicle. a cheap $3000 vehicle will work fine. I happened to have a suv as I had dogs and now also have a truck as I have toys to haul around. I use both vehicles back and forth.

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sad times when vehicles and dealers are so unreliable that having a ”backup vehicle” is an acceptable option.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
no, what's sad is everyone thinking dealers should bend over backwards for them. What's sad is customers getting mad when dealers offer uber as an option. Why is having a second vehicle not an acceptable option? Like I said, 20 yrs ago dealers didn't offer loaner vehicles. you dropped your car off at the dealer and found your own way home and your own way around. nobody complained. people today think everything should be handed to them on a silver plater. Its not that dealers are unrealiable, it's people that have too high of expectations. As I said before, the pandemic has taken a big toll on dealers, the chip shortage has also taken a toll. dealers took alot of their loaner fleet and put them for sale. the loaners that are left are always out. Not everyone gets a loaner, it sucks but it is what it is. Like someone said above, there is no requirement for customers to get a loaner when you have a vehicle, dealers do it as a courtesy. If one dealer doesn't offer a loaner, try another dealer.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason I continue to purchase from the same dealer year after year (sixth vehicle) is their service. When you buy a vehicle from them, they give free oil changes, engine warranty, and loaners or curtesy rides for life. We have a 2012 Sonata that had the engine replaced at 108,000 miles for free and were given a loaner.

Kovy23

Reaction score
How did you get the button to work? I ran into this issue yesterday and couldn’t get my truck to turn off. Please keep us updated on what you learn about your issue.
I reached up under the dash, following the wiring to the button and just unplugged it from the button. I've had to do it a few more times and honestly just gonna do it myself as I ordered a new one

Kovy23

Reaction score
no, what's sad is everyone thinking dealers should bend over backwards for them. What's sad is customers getting mad when dealers offer uber as an option. Why is having a second vehicle not an acceptable option? Like I said, 20 yrs ago dealers didn't offer loaner vehicles. you dropped your car off at the dealer and found your own way home and your own way around. nobody complained. people today think everything should be handed to them on a silver plater. Its not that dealers are unrealiable, it's people that have too high of expectations. As I said before, the pandemic has taken a big toll on dealers, the chip shortage has also taken a toll. dealers took alot of their loaner fleet and put them for sale. the loaners that are left are always out. Not everyone gets a loaner, it sucks but it is what it is. Like someone said above, there is no requirement for customers to get a loaner when you have a vehicle, dealers do it as a courtesy. If one dealer doesn't offer a loaner, try another dealer.
Still, not everyone has an extra 3-5K to either drop instantly or finance. Some people have other financial responsibilities and doesn't make sense. Also got to think about storage, if it isnt a daily driver then it has to sit somewhere. Like myself, I have one parking spot for my apartment, I would have to then pay more to have it sit somewhere?

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The reason I continue to purchase from the same dealer year after year (sixth vehicle) is their service. When you buy a vehicle from them, they give free oil changes, engine warranty, and loaners or curtesy rides for life. We have a 2012 Sonata that had the engine replaced at 108,000 miles for free and were given a loaner.
your engine was replaced because there was a recall on those vehicles for the engine, has nothing to do with your dealer being nice or offering a engine warranty for life.

Users who are viewing this thread