5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Standard rear differential. Anyone have standard diff and really miss the anti slip diff?

mkling

Reaction score
How is the standard differential on these trucks?
I always prefer to have limited slip but may have an opportunity to get a truck that has everything I need except it has a standard differential. Almost a deal breaker for me or is it not that bad?
4x4 and will see a decent amount of snow rain and mud but not like hardcore off-roading.
Anyone have standard diff and really regret it? Like sit and spin in rain or patch of ice?

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I always prefer to have limited slip but may have an opportunity to get a truck that has everything I need except it has a standard differential. Almost a deal breaker for me or is it not that bad?
4x4 and will see a decent amount of snow rain and mud but not like hardcore off-roading.
Anyone have standard diff and really regret it? Like sit and spin in rain or patch of ice?
always have had a standard differential on my trucks and never regretted it

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
These trucks have what they call a brake lock differential. So even with thehopen diff, the computer will apply the brake to the wheel spinning to try and transfer power to the non-spinning wheel. As long as you keep your traction control turned on. It's not going to get you unstuck, and should never go off road with traction control on anyways. But it's better than just a straight open diff

dmitryDS

Reaction score
These trucks have what they call a brake lock differential. So even with thehopen diff, the computer will apply the brake to the wheel spinning to try and transfer power to the non-spinning wheel. As long as you keep your traction control turned on. It's not going to get you unstuck, and should never go off road with traction control on anyways. But it's better than just a straight open diff
That's cool. If this true across all ram 1500 trucks. I have e-locker - do I still have brake lockers?

Ramroo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Im pretty sure the open differential that these Rams have is a BLD “brake locking differential”.
I go into detail in a different thread 4WD Off Road. Kinda works like a limited slip diff.

Please do me, and you a favor and check your truck for the BLD. Test drive the truck, back up on a grass area ( leave in 2WD ), start from a stop and hit gas hard to spin the rear wheels.
Then go back and see if there are 2 skid marks. If so, you have a BLD and probably not a deal breaker for you.

Also try the same thing going partial off on ESC. (Hit toggle). Then there will not be power reductions and braking to try to stop the spinning from the ESC or Traction Control system.

Last edited:

ChrisID

Reaction score
As mentioned above, the BLD works pretty good. I too was skeptical about not having a limited-slip, and I have two, a 20 and 21 without it. Both my trucks are off-road group and you can lock the rears, and I have climbed steep snow covered hills with no troubles. I do not miss the limited slip at all.

CLECSoft

Reaction score
My '04 2500 has a custom ordered open rear differential because it is safer when towing in the snow. When turning onto a road, full acceleration will end up in spinning and smoking tires. I ordered the electronic anti-spin differential on my coming 1500 because it uses essentially a reverse ABS to equalize torque application.

HRCfan1

Reaction score
I forgot to check the box for the LSD on my order and I wish I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n8zcc

Reaction score
I always prefer to have limited slip but may have an opportunity to get a truck that has everything I need except it has a standard differential.
I now live in Michigan and before moving here, lived in NE Ohio. Before 2013 I drove GMCs and they came with a limited-slip rear axle. During slippery road events, I put the vehicle into auto 4x4 and never gave it another thought.

I bought my 2013 RAM 1500 Laramie out of dealer yard stock, it had all the features I wanted but it had a standard rear axle. The salesman assured me it is a non-issue so I bought it. When winter came, I put the drive system into auto 4x4 and never gave it another thought.

My 2022 RAM has a limited-slip rear axle and this past winter, I once again put it into auto 4x4 and continued on. I would not let limited slip interfere with your choice, I didn't see a benefit from it in typical winter driving. It is my opinion limited slip better serves two-wheel drive vehicles, for example, pulling a boat up a slippery ramp.

LouNY

Reaction score
I'll go against the current grain;
I believe in limited slip or as my 19 has the e-locker, at times I'd rather have the limited slip.
The so called BLD doesn't work for me as it cuts the engine power down when it does the brake control traction control.
When you are climbing steep hills in low traction situations cutting power doesn't work.
When the truck comes to a dead stop on a hill and just sits there it's pretty worthless.
And I really dislike the auto 4wd my 15 truly sucked with it, the 19 seems much better but I still don't trust it.
I would like a limited slip with an over riding locker either electric or mechanical.
My usage is more "severe" in some respects then many. My long driveway has an almost continuous climb of 14 to 16 degrees
or 25+% of slope with an S turn in it. Traction is a concern when snow or ice is present as is engine braking when coming down it.

mkling

Reaction score
I wonder if the Detroit Truetrac works in the new gen trucks.
It says 2011 to current ram 1500. rear end on 5th gen is the same as 4th?
Is traction control programmed differently for a factory standard diff truck vs anti-slip that switching to a limited slip might confuse any computer systems?

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'll go against the current grain;
I believe in limited slip or as my 19 has the e-locker, at times I'd rather have the limited slip.
The so called BLD doesn't work for me as it cuts the engine power down when it does the brake control traction control.
When you are climbing steep hills in low traction situations cutting power doesn't work.
When the truck comes to a dead stop on a hill and just sits there it's pretty worthless.
And I really dislike the auto 4wd my 15 truly sucked with it, the 19 seems much better but I still don't trust it.
I would like a limited slip with an over riding locker either electric or mechanical.
My usage is more "severe" in some respects then many. My long driveway has an almost continuous climb of 14 to 16 degrees
or 25+% of slope with an S turn in it. Traction is a concern when snow or ice is present as is engine braking when coming down it.
I agree here. This is my situation, but it may not fit all.

I used to drive a jeep with LSD rear to get up a steep road to my house. In the snow it did great. Since it was a TJ, it rusted to death and is not really road worthy.

I got a mighty Rubicon with electric locking front and rear. If it broke traction and spun too fast, disengage! That's no good. Great Rock crawler but not what I need.

Went back to Ram LSD. No power cut on Traction control, always engaged. Yes, the rear can get away from you when gunning it from a sharp turn. I know this and expect it. Sometimes I use that to my advantage.

Driving average flatlands and not doing real off roading? The type that just turns the dial to D and pushes the pedals? The rear doesn't matter.

Guess, bottom line is it depends on your situation and what you want your truck for. Advice from anonymous hard heads on an internet forum? Worthless! 😄

P.S. Get real 3.92 truck gears not the 3.21 transplants from the Malibu Barbi jeep.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I live in New England so you know we get some snow. The 11 ram I had only had the open or regular differential and I never had a problem. The truck was 4x4 with traction control and was great. The traction control system detects when one wheel starts to spin and will apply the brake to that wheel to slow it down. My new 21 ram also has an open differential and 4x4 but also has the E-Lock diff which I have never needed to use. In my opinion, unless you're looking for two black stripes on the gound when you do a burn out you'll be fine with the regular differential. Under normal driving you'll never know the difference anyway

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I live in New England so you know we get some snow. The 11 ram I had only had the open or regular differential and I never had a problem. The truck was 4x4 with traction control and was great. The traction control system detects when one wheel starts to spin and will apply the brake to that wheel to slow it down. My new 21 ram also has an open differential and 4x4 but also has the E-Lock diff which I have never needed to use. In my opinion, unless you're looking for two black stripes on the gound when you do a burn out you'll be fine with the regular differential. Under normal driving you'll never know the difference anyway
The e-locker is fun for playing in snow covered parking lots as well.

And as mentioned, in steep hills where it's best to not lose traction in the first place, or when you do lose traction, you don't also want to lose momentum, it's a nice feature. The factory traction control and BLD kills power to the wheels as part of it's function to control wheel spin. I had a 2008 Charger with the 3.5l V6. In my old house, when you back out of driveway, you were facing up hill to try and get moving. There was more than one occasion with traction control on, with icy road, where I just sat there, gas pedal to the floor, not moving, and no tires spinning. Everytime the car applied power to rear wheels it senses spin and killed power. Turn off traction control, so the wheels would actually spin, and it made it up the hill.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I agree here. This is my situation, but it may not fit all.

I used to drive a jeep with LSD rear to get up a steep road to my house. In the snow it did great. Since it was a TJ, it rusted to death and is not really road worthy.

I got a mighty Rubicon with electric locking front and rear. If it broke traction and spun too fast, disengage! That's no good. Great Rock crawler but not what I need.

Went back to Ram LSD. No power cut on Traction control, always engaged. Yes, the rear can get away from you when gunning it from a sharp turn. I know this and expect it. Sometimes I use that to my advantage.

Driving average flatlands and not doing real off roading? The type that just turns the dial to D and pushes the pedals? The rear doesn't matter.

Guess, bottom line is it depends on your situation and what you want your truck for. Advice from anonymous hard heads on an internet forum? Worthless! 😄

P.S. Get real 3.92 truck gears not the 3.21 transplants from the Malibu Barbi jeep.
My understanding is that Ram’s “LSD” (or “anti-slip”, as they call it) is electromagnetic, much like the ELocker. If so, it’s a very different animal than what I think of as posi/LSD.

Av1

Reaction score
My understanding is that Ram’s “LSD” (or “anti-slip”, as they call it) is electromagnetic, much like the ELocker. If so, it’s a very different animal than what I think of as posi/LSD.
Ram's anti-slip differential is a clutch type differential without preload springs. It is non electronic.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
BLDS Has been standard on all RAM Trucks since 2009

A better set of tires is more important than any of the other doo dads.

The dang 4wd auto is going to cause you more issues than an open diff anyways.

Driver skill can compensate for all situations except ice. Ice will bite everyone, except the guy wise enough to use chains.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The BLDS requires a change in everything you ever knew about getting through the slippy stuff.

The to the floor board approach will not work at all. As you have heard, it will cut power.

The lift and blip the throttle approach will not work. Just as BLDS is about to work, you lift and it has to start again.

You need to apply throttle, stay steady at that application and then as the tires slip, BLDS does it's magic. You have to stay steady.

The Elocker is the only way to get an actual 2nd rear wheel to engage at the same time.

Even the anti spin, has to spin to engage. Hence the name. And once you spin, that may have been all the traction you had.

And that takes us back to tires.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ram's anti-slip differential is a clutch type differential without preload springs. It is non electronic.
Thanks. I don’t know what I was thinking on a Sunday morning. Clutch-type vs. torsen (HD), perhaps.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
@mkling have you checked out this thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/