5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeal on startup?

volckano

Reaction score
Hey y'all,

I recently purchased a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with a 5.7L Hemi V8 eTorque, and it has around 50,000 miles on it.

Lately, I've been noticing a squealing noise during some of my startups, but both the dealer and I have been unable to pinpoint the source of the issue or the sound itself. Video attached.

Here's what I've been able to figure out so far:
  • The sound seems to be coming from underneath the vehicle, and I haven't detected any squealing noise in the engine area.
  • The squeal doesn't occur during every startup. It usually happens on the second or third startup of the day. Interestingly, I haven't heard this noise during a cold start in the morning.
  • If I try to start the truck multiple times in a row, the noise doesn't occur. It typically only happens on the initial startup after the truck has been parked for a short period.
  • I haven't heard the sound when I use the remote start feature.
I would greatly appreciate any insights or suggestions regarding this issue. Please let me know if you have any similar experiences or if there's any additional information that would be helpful in diagnosing this problem. Thanks in advance

stevj

Reaction score
On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
Not hearing a squeal, but mine makes a similar mechanical sound on cold start after sitting for a couple days. Mine is lifter noise.
When the engine just sits, some hydraulic valve lifters will leak down a little.
This leak-down is a very slow process for the lifters depressed when the engine is off.
Once the engine starts and the lifters immediately fill back up with oil under pressure, the sound goes away.
Might be what you have.

Steve

John Galt

Reaction score
When I was a kid, my dad would rub a stick of butter on the serpentine belt to fix starter squeak.

🤔🤨
Im not suggesting this is a good idea.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Can't really hear it in that video, but from what you say about when it happens, it is probably the belt squealing. At that mileage a new belt is probably a good idea to replace anyway, but the problem may be due to a weak belt tensioner.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
It sounds just like the noise the V6 is known to make across other FCA models. Video example here:

For what it's worth, our GC with the 3.6 has done this since day 1 with no ill effects. Original consensus a while back was that it was a belt squeal on startup, but glancing through that thread it seems to be more related to brake pedal pressure/brake booster on startup. Maybe try some of the suggestions in there to see if it goes away?

Users who are viewing this thread