5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeaky suspension, what is this part?

neume1mb

Reaction score
I don't know jack about suspension, but I paid a shop to install a lift on a brand new truck and it's now squeaking like crazy. First thing I noticed when I looked was how crooked this part was, this can't be normal can it? The lift has 800 miles on it so for it to already be causing something to squeak tells me it a bad install in some way, the truck has 1100 miles on it total.

Attachments

• 20240505_123904.jpg
    20240505_123904.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 61
  • 20240505_125147.jpg
    20240505_125147.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 61

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know jack about suspension, but I paid a shop to install a lift on a brand new truck and it's now squeaking like crazy. First thing I noticed when I looked was how crooked this part was, this can't be normal can it? The lift has 800 miles on it so for it to already be causing something to squeak tells me it a bad install in some way, the truck has 1100 miles on it total.
That's your sway bar end links. Highly suggest upgrading to the Suspensionmaxx end links. Better quality, rebuildabke, and will increase the effectiveness of the sway bar because they are stronger

neume1mb

Reaction score
That's your sway bar end links. Highly suggest upgrading to the Suspensionmaxx end links. Better quality, rebuildabke, and will increase the effectiveness of the sway bar because they are stronger
Thanks for the reply. That angle of the top attachment point in pic 2 is jacked up right? I don't see how that can be normal.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. That angle of the top attachment point in pic 2 is jacked up right? I don't see how that can be normal.
It's a ball mount style fitting. It will rotate like that.

neume1mb

Reaction score
It's a ball mount style fitting. It will rotate like that.
Ok, I'll look intot getting them upgraded. I'm at the shop now having everything looked at, we'll see what they say about the squeaking.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Think about the sway bar attachment points. You have two on the body, so when adding any lift to the front end, you're raising the bar some also. By keeping the factory endlinks, you're straining the angle of the sway bar and pulling it down. You need the longer endlinks when doing a lift to keep the sway bar in the proper alignment. Too much strain and you'll wear out those endlink ball joints really quick.

neume1mb

Reaction score
These guys are telling me they can't find anything wrong. I'm calling BS for a kit with 800 miles and a truck with 1100 mile to be making this noise. I can bounce on the front tow hook and make it squeak. I'll guess I'll try another shop to get another opinion and have them upgrade links while they're in there.

Jeffjad

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You might have to get under the truck and have someone else bounce on it so you can hear exactly where it's coming from. What lift did you have installed?

Vulpes

Reaction score
Not sure if this is what happened to your vehicle, but sometimes if they torque the bolts down for the UCA, etc., with the vehicle on a lift, such as with the suspension at full droop it can cause squeaking. The fix is it put the vehicle on the ground and loosen and then retorque the bolts.

Check to see if they marked the bolts and nuts with a paint marker to make sure nothing has come loose.

neume1mb

Reaction score
Not sure if this is what happened to your vehicle, but sometimes if they torque the bolts down for the UCA, etc., with the vehicle on a lift, such as with the suspension at full droop it can cause squeaking. The fix is it put the vehicle on the ground and loosen and then retorque the bolts.

Check to see if they marked the bolts and nuts with a paint marker to make sure nothing has come loose.
Sorry been away a few days. It's a rough country with m1 shocks. The shop said they can't find anything wrong with it, and the frustrating thing is now when I bounce on it, it doesn't squeak at all but I can still hear it when hitting bumps going down the road. I can't believe it would be just dirt but it has me wondering now. I'm going to spray things out the best I can and go piece by piece to lube things up. It's maddening because sometime it sounds a freaking landscaping trailer.

I should also point out it hasn't been like this the whole time. For 800 miles it was great and I felt it softened up a bit (which is good), but maybe I just got used to it. The shop said nothing was loose, they checked all bolts.

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry been away a few days. It's a rough country with m1 shocks. The shop said they can't find anything wrong with it, and the frustrating thing is now when I bounce on it, it doesn't squeak at all but I can still hear it when hitting bumps going down the road. I can't believe it would be just dirt but it has me wondering now. I'm going to spray things out the best I can and go piece by piece to lube things up. It's maddening because sometime it sounds a freaking landscaping trailer.

I should also point out it hasn't been like this the whole time. For 800 miles it was great and I felt it softened up a bit (which is good), but maybe I just got used to it. The shop said nothing was loose, they checked all bolts.
Install the Suspensionmaxx sway bar end links. And get some polyurethane sway bar bushings and see if that helps. If nothing else it will improve handling

Vulpes

Reaction score

Have the bolts/nuts all been retorqued? I believe most suspension kits need to be checked with a torque wrench around 500 miles after installation.

Have a look under there for anything that might be hitting that shouldn't be. As an example, the lower spring seats on my aftermarket struts were rubbing against both front axles, and it required me to "shave" material off the spring seats to make it right.

Also, sometimes there are noises with upgrades that stick around. For instance, mine has a clunk noise at low speeds going over speed bumps. It only goes away when I disconnect the sway bar. I've tried different types of end links, changed the angle of the sway bar, checked torque on bolts/nuts multiple times, replaced sway bar bushings, lubed it, and nothing but disconnecting the sway bar works. There are quite a few threads on the internets about this.

So I dunno. I do however, hope you find out what it is and can get it fixed. Please let us know what you find, because it could be helpful to others!

Users who are viewing this thread