5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squeaky suspension sounds on 2019 air ride rebel

Jwrichardson

Reaction score
Has anyone noticed squeaks over medium sized and medium speed bumps? I'm trying to figure it out. It seems when one side hits a pot hole or consecutive bumps it squeaks. Seems like rear passenger side and front driver side. Sounds like a truck with 250000 miles not 2500. I recently took it to the dealership to no avail, but I wasn't expecting much. * On another note if anyone is dealing with turning the wheel to the left and hearing a click it seems to be a rack and pinion issue. Unfortunately, its on back order, so won't know if it fixes it or not. If anyone can help with suspension issue I would greatly appreciate it. ITS DRIVING ME NUTS!

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Let me guess, you only hear it when the windows are rolled down? It’s the anti-rattle brake pad clips on the front calipers. There are a few threads on here that detail the issue. For me, it drove me nuts for the last half of the summer, proved it was the brake clips by spraying light lubricant on them and the squeak went away for a short time. A few weeks later, the squeak completely resolved itself and is no longer present.

My guess is some sand or grit found it’s way into these tiny void areas, squeaked, and then as the truck broke in it loosened up enough to no longer cause a streak. Again, if you search the threads you’ll find a lot of info.

Jwrichardson

Reaction score
Let me guess, you only hear it when the windows are rolled down? It’s the anti-rattle brake pad clips on the front calipers. There are a few threads on here that detail the issue. For me, it drove me nuts for the last half of the summer, proved it was the brake clips by spraying light lubricant on them and the squeak went away for a short time. A few weeks later, the squeak completely resolved itself and is no longer present.

My guess is some sand or grit found it’s way into these tiny void areas, squeaked, and then as the truck broke in it loosened up enough to no longer cause a streak. Again, if you search the threads you’ll find a lot of info.

Thank you for your information. I've seen this on the threads. I am hearing squeaky sounds from the suspension when the windows are rolled up. Like an irking when going over medium sized bumps and when one side flexes vs the other. IDK. Thank you though.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Did you have the sway bar links looked at? That’s another area some people have. Definitely sounds more involved than the caliper issue I had.

Jwrichardson

Reaction score
They were told about it. They said they couldn't find anything.....per usual.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Seriously, it seems like main issue are the dealers... yours included. Obvious squeaking noises in the cab of the truck should be something they can isolate. Frustrating.

Any complex mechanical device is subject to some level of manufacturing issue/defect... particularly when you're talking about 500,000+ iterations. The only remedy is the dealer network to make things right, and so many seem to be deficient. It's a shame.

Maybe it's a bushing, ball joint, etc. Take it to a different dealer, kinda like going to another doctor for a second opinion?

RAMpage

Reaction score
Reviving this older thread as I noticed my air susp Rebel recently started squeaking over bumps just like the OP. I had always had the front end clunking issues on larger bumps/dips, but just started noticing the squeaks as well and it's driving me crazy now.
Anyone successfully have this fixed yet? Calling the dealer again today to get my truck back in. Last time they told me the clunking was normal. sigh....

DieselDak

Reaction score
Mine was squeaking for about 3 weeks then stopped. 3 weeks later I started to get a pop sound and my upper ball joints were gone on my Mopar lifter control arms..............I do have 37" tires on heavily off set wheels though.

Food for thought.

RAMpage

Reaction score
I'm surprised you hear anything besides the tire noise with those things on! :)

Dropped mine off at the dealer this morning... hopefully they actually do something this time!

RAMpage

Reaction score
Well to no surprise the dealer didn't do anything... they didn't even install the ram box parts I have been waiting months for!
Dealer was able to reproduce the squeaks but couldn't find anything lose, so didn't do anything else. Great.

Seq

Reaction score
I've got the squeaks. Trucks a month old, 2000 miles. Haven't been to the dealer yet.

Jwrichardson

Reaction score
Where are your squeaks coming from? I had a hitch on mine and it was causing some weird squeaks. I've had a terrible clicking in my steering wheel. Dealer has replaced, cab mounts, steering rack and pinion, intermediate shaft, etc. Ive had the clicking in the steering wheel at the dealer 4 times now. This truck feels like a lemon, considering action, but haven't found out what route to take. 3000k miles and 6 months old. SMH

RAMpage

Reaction score
My squeaks seem to be coming from the front end somewhere... really easy to reproduce when flexing the front end by going onto a bump with one of the front wheels (instead of both hitting it at same time). Could be cab mount I suppose. Dealer was able to reproduce it but once the truck warmed up in their shop for a while and they took it back out, the squeak went away so they didn't attempt to look into the issue any further.

Contentment

Reaction score
My rebel would squeak over slight bumps and could be heard with the windows down. Last dealer service it was indeed my front brake pads, they lubricated and reseated them. No more squeak

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
I am having this same squeak. Sounds like left front. Only does it going over a bump on left side only. No sound over speed bump for instance. Does it on a manhole cover one side only every time. Is way worse when cold out of the garage. Took it in and of course they say can't reproduce. I hear it everyday. I really hate the dealer mechanics. They are either incompetent about testing, or are told not to thoroughly test or something. I will be forced to take them out and recreate it. I really dont like hearing things from you guys like " they reproduced it but couldnt find anything loose so did nothing". When I have time I will take it back I suppose. I hate when they waste my time and say nothing is wrong. FCA has serious dealer service issues. If only BMW had a pick up truck line. Their service is impeccable.

RAMpage

Reaction score
Incompetent is a nice way to put it...

Mine is back at the dealer right now actually - driving a loaner which has zero of the issues my truck has - so the dealer's theory about it being "normal" is out the window.
Hopefully they get the squeaking fixed because driving on a dirt road last weekend for a few hours was driving me insane. Non-stop squeaking for the entire thing.

I wish VW sold their trucks here - not sure why they don't? Always had a good experience with their dealerships.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not quite sure how brake pads would cause squeaks over bumps? Interesting...
Known issue. FCA redesigned the calipers to tighter tolerances, as the originals (in my case), had some play which caused the pads to shift and cause a "chirp" sound when stepping in and out of the truck (with engine off), or going over speed bumps, etc.

Cheers,

RAMpage

Reaction score
Known issue. FCA redesigned the calipers to tighter tolerances, as the originals (in my case), had some play which caused the pads to shift and cause a "chirp" sound when stepping in and out of the truck (with engine off), or going over speed bumps, etc.

Cheers,

Not known to my dealer haha :)

The squeak on mine sounds the same as when I changed bushings on a previous car to higher performance ones... rubbery squeak constantly.

CaptainCJ35

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Some cases are more severe than others. For me, it was minor and resolved itself after about a month. There are "anti-rattle" clips that help seat the break pads in the caliper. These metal clips are right up against the caliper (metal) and squeak/chirp during certain impacts on the road surface.

To confirm it for myself, I sprayed WD-40 silicon in the tiny gap between the clip and caliper, and then went for a drive. Sure enough, the squeak chirp was gone... but as the WD-40 evaporated it came back. Just was I was going to the dealer for an oil change/tire rotation (free, part of the deal when I bought the truck) and to have the squeak addressed... it went away the day before. And hasn't been back.

Somewhere on here, a member has a case # for this issue. I don't think there's a TSB# yet, but I might be wrong, and is worth checking out other posts on this issue.

Users who are viewing this thread