5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spray-in Liner vs Drop-in Liner

Starkhaus

Reaction score
I’m weighing out the options and want to see your guys opinions on the topic.

If I were to do drop in I like the look of DualLiners

Spray in also looks more bang for the buck and has very little cons to it.

What do you think?

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Drop-in liners kinda suck. They are hard plastic that is super slippery, they actually remove a bit of space in the bed due to their size and shape, while trapping water and scratching the paint under them, increasing the chance of rust.

Spray-in liner is better in that it takes up less space and actually protects the metal under it and less likely to contribute to rust. Negative is that the Factory and Line-X type spray-in liners cost more and still kind of slippery. They also have a sand paper like surface that tends to damage delicate items, like say furniture.

If you don't need side protection, you should also consider heavy duty rubber mats that are designed for your truck. These mats fit & look great, protect the paint on the bed, offers a nice grippy surface so your stuff doesn't move around, you don't really need to tie anything down with the tail gate up, smooth/soft surface that doesn't harm anything, doesn't trap water, and usually only cost about $100. I had one of these on my F150 for 4 years, never cleaned it during that time, and when I traded the truck in and removed the mat, the bottom of the bed still looked new.

The perfect setup for an open bed is a spray-in liner with a heavy duty rubber mat. But if I was on a budget and wanted the best bang for the buck, I would get a Dee-Zee Rubber Bed Mat.

Last edited:

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a drop in on my 4th gen. 4 years and no complains, however it is often noted on this forum that it traps water. I traded the truck so can't confirm this

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Spray in and/or a bed mat.

Had drop in liners on some previous trucks and they sucked. Scratches + water = rust... and I remember one would shift with the wind just enough to make an irritating noise. Took forever to figure that one out.

beetlespin

Reaction score
I have the drop-in from Ram. It is not slippery. They do something with the plastic that gives it a rough finish and it definately keeps things from sliding around.

I have had many trucks and for each of them I have purchased a drop-in. They are easy to clean and the ribbing keeps your stuff up off the bed a bit if you get water back there. I have a folding cover on my bed and like all covers I get a couple of drops of water in the bed after a downpour. I have never had anything get wet due to the ribbing. It is one advantage to a drop in knowbody mentions.

They are easy to clean after a load of mulch and are strong enough for a load of patio block. Grab a hose and spray it out after you are done and it looks like new again.

The only issue I had was getting one from the dealer that wasn't dented. Due to the size when they ship they get banged around and the corners can get pushed in.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Drop-in liners kinda suck. They are hard plastic that is super slippery, they actually remove a bit of space in the bed due to their size and shape, while trapping water and scratching the paint under them, increasing the chance of rust.

Spray-in liner is better in that it takes up less space and actually protects the metal under it and less likely to contribute to rust. Negative is that the Factory and Line-X type spray-in liners cost more and still kind of slippery. They also have a sand paper like surface that tends to damage delicate items, like say furniture.

If you don't need side protection, you should also consider heavy duty rubber mats that are designed for your truck. These mats fit & look great, protect the paint on the bed, offers a nice grippy surface so your stuff doesn't move around, you don't really need to tie anything down with the tail gate up, smooth/soft surface that doesn't harm anything, doesn't trap water, and usually only cost about $100. I had one of these on my F150 for 4 years, never cleaned it during that time, and when I traded the truck in and removed the mat, the bottom of the bed still looked new.

The perfect setup for an open bed is a spray-in liner with a heavy duty rubber mat. But if I was on a budget and wanted the best bang for the buck, I would get a Dee-Zee Rubber Bed Mat.
I agree 100% on the rubber mat👍🏻 When I had one, nothing ever moved in the bed of the truck. The factory spray in is very slippery and items are always moving around back there😩 But with the rubber mat, it’s hard to just drag items out, heavy coolers with rubber feet! But I’d rather have that then items shifting my whole drive! Good luck with whatever u decide😁

mkling

Reaction score
I’ve been using just the rubber mat for about the last 20 years. Love how stuff doesn’t slide around. My new truck I just ordered with factory spray in liner. First time I’ve had spray in but I plan on also getting a new rubber mat for it hoping it’s a good combo.
Never cared for drop in liners but if I was hauling a lot of gravel or something they’re nice for shoveling out of.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I’ve been using just the rubber mat for about the last 20 years. Love how stuff doesn’t slide around. My new truck I just ordered with factory spray in liner. First time I’ve had spray in but I plan on also getting a new rubber mat for it hoping it’s a good combo.
Never cared for drop in liners but if I was hauling a lot of gravel or something they’re nice for shoveling out of.
Spray-in + rubber mat is a great combo for practicality and longevity.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the Ram drop-in and like it. :) Wish it was more hard and slippery so I could slide cargo in and out easier. Wonder if the Penda is harder plastic. :unsure: Don't understand people wanting a soft rug or mat that makes it harder to use the bed. If I need a mat someday for an unforeseen purpose, I can still throw something in on top. Spray-in would be my second choice, but is pretty permanent. :( A drop-in will be easy to replace if I tear it up, and would be easy to remove if I ever decided to change to spray-in, but it would be hard to go the other way. And it's easy to make changes to a drop-in if I want to add accessories like utility rails, or the bed extender I'm hoping will be delivered next week. :cool:

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
My 11 ram had the factory Mopar drop in liner and it was fine. My 21 ram has the factory spray in liner and it's fine too. The drop in liner in my opinion is better for protecting the bed when large heavy objects such as a washer and dryer because it a hard layer that will help prevent dents or gouging in the metal bed. They can be a little slippery but it's nothing a rubber mat can't cure. They are also known to trap moisture underneath causing rust in the bed. In my opinion the spray in liners look better but will not prevent an item from denting or gouging the bed and they are a little less slippery. It really comes down to what you'll be putting in the bed and what's more appealing to you and your budget

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've been putting drop in liner with a mat in my trucks since the '80's and never had the bed rust, I have run caps for the last 25 years though. if you throw a log, cinder block or brick in bed it doesn't dent or scratch the bed, bed sides or wheel wells. If I haul sand or mulch, I take it out a rinse the bed and liner, takes about 15 minutes. Below is a pic of my latest liner with the storage on the rear sides, 5-gal fuel containers and milk creates fit nicely in them. This a pic before the mat and ARE Z2 cap.

1665342581815.jpeg

Starkhaus

Reaction score
I've been putting drop in liner with a mat in my trucks since the '80's and never had the bed rust, I have run caps for the last 25 years though. if you throw a log, cinder block or brick in bed it doesn't dent or scratch the bed, bed sides or wheel wells. If I haul sand or mulch, I take it out a rinse the bed and liner, takes about 15 minutes. Below is a pic of my latest liner with the storage on the rear sides, 5-gal fuel containers and milk creates fit nicely in them. This a pic before the mat and ARE Z2 cap.

View attachment 140698
What liner is that?

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered it from https://www.atoautosports.com/ in Towson/Parkville, MD In January of 2022. The part number they have listed is #rugD64U19N and the description:
Rugged Liner (kit) 19-C 6.5FT Ram 1500 (w/light) under rail net liner without Rambox.

I did a little searching and looks out of stock or maybe discontinued. Good Luck.

pkman

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered it from https://www.atoautosports.com/ in Towson/Parkville, MD In January of 2022. The part number they have listed is #rugD64U19N and the description:
Rugged Liner (kit) 19-C 6.5FT Ram 1500 (w/light) under rail net liner without Rambox.

I did a little searching and looks out of stock or maybe discontinued. Good Luck.
I have this same liner. It is discontinued, but my local dealer found one in a warehouse last February. I like having my hitch and tow strap handy at the rear of the bed without getting in the way.

Starkhaus

Reaction score
BedRug seems solid paired with a tonneau cover with some good weather stripping

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Love my bed rug, took a 15 minute nap on it after installing.
Also have my Mopar Bed Mat on it. Nothing moves back there.
Had a spray on liner for my 3rd Gen and loved it, but stuff still slid around if not secured. Wanted something different this time around, and the bed rug with the bed mat is perfect.

Users who are viewing this thread