5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport Hood Delete

Did you (or do you prefer) the sport hood or delete it?

• Like it! Keep the sport hood/ it adds character

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • Delete it! Don't like the appearance, save the $295, didn't need the added horsepower

Votes: 8 21.1%
  • WTF are you talking about?

Votes: 2 5.3%

• Total voters

BizWiz

Reaction score
Something I don't see come up very often in the forums is any discussion of the sport hood. I opted for the regular hood with my Laramie Lvl 2, Sport, ORG. Of all the sport features I wanted ... the hood wasn't one of them. I think it does bring a bold look to the truck but on mine I wanted it to be understated.

Rexx

Reaction score
The sport hoods are really nice. I’ve even considered getting for for my limited.

OtterRam

Reaction score
I love the way the sport hood looks but I also think the delete with the rest of the sport package is a CLEAN look!

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I honestly like the sport hood, it took me a moment to get over the bulge seen while driving it home the first time. But really don't want a truck without it now.

cjfioren

Reaction score
Love the look of my sport hood however I don't like the amount of places water gets trapped in it. The looks outweigh that issue though for me.
If you have a blower for your yard it works wonders. I use it to dry the wheels and also those parts that hold water.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it was an actual functioning air induction hood then heck yeah. Since it’s fake no thanks

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you have a blower for your yard it works wonders. I use it to dry the wheels and also those parts that hold water.
I have gone back and forth on buying an EGO blower for drying my truck. Given that I am in a townhome with no property to maintain I haven't bought one. Eventually I will get one as it'll make drying much easier - especially if ceramic coated.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If it was an actual functioning air induction hood then heck yeah. Since it’s fake no thanks
I agree that it would be better if the hood vents were functional. But even though they're not, I still prefer the looks of the sport hood over the regular hood. I also had the sport hood on my 4th gen because I liked the looks better. Heck, I never would have had a 66 GTO if I was hung up on non-functional hood openings LOL.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree that it would be better if the hood vents were functional. But even though they're not, I still prefer the looks of the sport hood over the regular hood. I also had the sport hood on my 4th gen because I liked the looks better. Heck, I never would have had a 66 GTO if I was hung up on non-functional hood openings LOL.
I’m not saying I wouldn’t buy a truck because of that hood, I’m just saying if I was ordering and had the option to delete it I would .I’d use that money towards something else like step bars or a tonneau cover etc.

I get why people like the look. But to me it’s the same as the fake dual exhaust. If they gave me the option I would delete that and get the single exhaust out the side if it saved me money. But if it was a true dual exhaust I’d want it

Chuck19

Reaction score
I have gone back and forth on buying an EGO blower for drying my truck. Given that I am in a townhome with no property to maintain I haven't bought one. Eventually I will get one as it'll make drying much easier - especially if ceramic coated.
Check out this. I use this for wheels nooks and areas i cant get a towel into and hard to reach areas to dry them. Way better than a leaf blower because it gives you more concentrated air flow. They have larger units if you want to do your entire car but this is good for motorcycles wheels and small cars. With our trucks as big as they are the water spots set in too fast to dry off the entire car with this little guy.

Metro Sidekick High Speed Professional Blower | (chemicalguys.com)

Put me into the category of no sport hood. I just prefer the clean lines of the ram hood. Its very sleek and flowing and the plastic fake inserts just look bulky and take away from that.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m not saying I wouldn’t buy a truck because of that hood, I’m just saying if I was ordering and had the option to delete it I would .I’d use that money towards something else like step bars or a tonneau cover etc.

I get why people like the look. But to me it’s the same as the fake dual exhaust. If they gave me the option I would delete that and get the single exhaust out the side if it saved me money. But if it was a true dual exhaust I’d want it
Believe me, I get it. And I can respect that you're more about function than form. The GTO comment was meant more as a joke. The sport hood serves no function other than looks, and it's worth paying a little extra for some of us. It's kind of like adding a leveling kit on a truck that never goes off-road. People like what they like. There's nothing wrong with that.

Nova90

Reaction score
I like the sport hood, just wish the black plastic inserts were body color painted. That black plastic will eventually turn to grey in the sun.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Yeah, I get that, I mean the RAM 5.7L does have a fake dual exhaust, but a dual looking exhaust is expected for stylistic reasons in this type of vehicle, so I see why they do it. I'm thinking there is another reason other than costs for that, maybe packaging or what not. The hood is also stylistic, at least it doesn't have a fake intake, though fake heat exchangers.

louscrw

Reaction score
I honestly like the sport hood, it took me a moment to get over the bulge seen while driving it home the first time. But really don't want a truck without it now.
Same here. When I took it on the test drive, it took some getting used to. And it doesn’t making parking in my garage any easier either. I have a “side entry” garage that I have to turn left into, and I park on the left side (wife’s car on the right)...that bulge makes it difficult to see her little BMW sitting there. Thank god for the front camera

Users who are viewing this thread