5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Split tailgate tonneau

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey guys, i just purchased a Ram last night, wanting to install and mx4 or undercover ultra. I noticed with my split tailgate that there was this type of bracket up toward to cab.

I wasn’t sure if this was part of the Bedliner group option, or part of the split tailgate option. Could any of you with the bed group option let me know if you have this corner bracket?

Thanks!

Attachments

• A84234BB-CA06-47B7-843A-FFF8A15CAE78.jpeg
    A84234BB-CA06-47B7-843A-FFF8A15CAE78.jpeg
    80.6 KB · Views: 397
  • 61B9EFBD-A768-4482-B6E0-52E16B1E6D29.jpeg
    61B9EFBD-A768-4482-B6E0-52E16B1E6D29.jpeg
    227.3 KB · Views: 388

Zeronet

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bracket comes with the split tailgate. Probably a reinforcement. Let’s see how a tonneau wil fit. I know mine wouldn’t. Might need a specific cover for that.

Is the tailgate thicker than a standard tailgate?

Last edited:

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The bracket comes with the split tailgate. Probably a reinforcement. Let’s see how a tonneau wil fit. I know mine wouldn’t. Might need a specific cover for that.

Is the tailgate thicker than a standard tailgate?

From my measurements at the dealer, no it does not look any thicker, but i will check again today.

I test fitted my side rail from my GMC’s ultra flex and it would not fit with that bracket. Guess we will have to wait until aftermarket starts making the split specific tonneau.

Question, with your split tailgate did it come with the REAR fold out step? Not the corner one but the one that folds from the beneath the hitch. I thought it came with the tailgate package and may never got installed at the dealership.

flynfish

Reaction score
I ordered running boards from RealTruck today and asked them about covers. They said their R&D dept is aware of the issue and working on something for the split tailgate. No ETA or anything...at least they are aware.

Alxmlr789

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I ordered running boards from RealTruck today and asked them about covers. They said their R&D dept is aware of the issue and working on something for the split tailgate. No ETA or anything...at least they are aware.

I think i made them aware haha. They just told me to remove the brackets at first until i sent them photos, then the sales guy was like oh, uh yeah don’t take those off.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
For my amusement, I played around with the online configuration and found some interesting things

After selecting the split tailgate it won’t let me add ram box or the Delmonico red paint. That was on the limited tab.

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
That is both curious and interesting about the split tailgate, rambox and Delmonico Red. On July 25 I ordered a 2020 Limited with all three of those options -- Dual Function Tailgate, RamBoxes and Delmonico Red paint and the order was accepted by RAM. On what site were you doing the online configuration?

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The official ram building site, I was building a 2019, not 2020. Maybe they are on allocation

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
Just prior to the tailgate becoming available, RAM had said it would Not be available with the RamBox option. Then RAM put paint color restriction on the tailgate -- Black, white or granite crystal. As we moved into July, the factory began to loosen the restrictions on the paint colors, adding more. As far as I know, since 2020 ordering has opened there has been no restriction on the tailgate and the RamBox options being ordered on the same vehicle.

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
I ordered the 2020 with Rambox and Multifunction tailgate. Order placed 8/28/19

Kstod21 Congratulations -- I ordered mine on July 25 and delivery is scheduled for next Monday!

On Order - 2020 1500 Limited, CC, Short Bed, 4x4, 5.7 e-Torque, 3.21, Delmonico Red Pearl, Body Color Bumpers, RamBox, Dual Function Tailgate, Bed Utility Group, Off Road Group, Trailer Brake Controller, 33 gal. Tank, Level 1 Equipment Group, Pano Sun Roof

kstod21

Reaction score
Sweet! I know you're excited! I just ordered it and I'm geeking out trying to stay patient. Congratulations! Looks like we ordered nearly identical trucks. I really debated between the Delmonico Red and the Patriot Blue. Both are sharp. I plan to get a Tonneau cover on it...still deciding which one.

I ordered a 2020 Limited CC Short bed, 4x4, 5.7 e-Torque, 3.95 Patriot Blue Pearl, Body Color Bumper group, Rambox, Dual Function Tailgate, Bed Utility Group, Off-Road Group, Trailer Brake Controller, 33 gal Tank, Level 1 equipment group, Dual-Pane Panoramic Sunroof.

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
Sweet! I know you're excited! I just ordered it and I'm geeking out trying to stay patient. Congratulations! Looks like we ordered nearly identical trucks. I really debated between the Delmonico Red and the Patriot Blue. Both are sharp. I plan to get a Tonneau cover on it...still deciding which one.

I ordered a 2020 Limited CC Short bed, 4x4, 5.7 e-Torque, 3.95 Patriot Blue Pearl, Body Color Bumper group, Rambox, Dual Function Tailgate, Bed Utility Group, Off-Road Group, Trailer Brake Controller, 33 gal Tank, Level 1 equipment group, Dual-Pane Panoramic Sunroof.

Thanks for the reply. I have found it difficult to contain my enthusiasm while waiting. I went with the 3.21 gears. My order went to KZ status (Ready to be shipped) on 8-19. It was due in my train this weekend here in San Diego and then has to be off-loaded and scheduled on a truck transport for dealer delivery. I have contacted Ram Chat several times to keep up with my order status. They are cordial and helpful. I plan to change tires to the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W All Terrains in the same size. They are XL instead of SL like the OEM Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA tires and also are 117 load rated instead of the stock tires at 113. They are the same diameter as the stock tires so no speed errors and only weigh a few pounds more each. There are many reviews on them, including on YouTube, and pretty much everyone is very high on them. The have a 55,000 mile warranty which is not common for an all terrain tire.
Please let me know if you find a tonneau that works with the multi-function tailgate. I haven't looked yet so am not aware if a bed cover that works with the RamBox option works with both the conventional tailgate and MFT.

kstod21

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I have found it difficult to contain my enthusiasm while waiting. I went with the 3.21 gears. My order went to KZ status (Ready to be shipped) on 8-19. It was due in my train this weekend here in San Diego and then has to be off-loaded and scheduled on a truck transport for dealer delivery. I have contacted Ram Chat several times to keep up with my order status. They are cordial and helpful. I plan to change tires to the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W All Terrains in the same size. They are XL instead of SL like the OEM Falken Wildpeak A/T3WA tires and also are 117 load rated instead of the stock tires at 113. They are the same diameter as the stock tires so no speed errors and only weigh a few pounds more each. There are many reviews on them, including on YouTube, and pretty much everyone is very high on them. The have a 55,000 mile warranty which is not common for an all terrain tire.
Please let me know if you find a tonneau that works with the multi-function tailgate. I haven't looked yet so am not aware if a bed cover that works with the RamBox option works with both the conventional tailgate and MFT.
I wanted the 3.21 too but it was grayed out on my order sheet once I selected the ORG so it was the 3.55 or the 3.92. The inconsistency across the country with what people can order has been surprising. The Falken looks like a good tire but I don't have any experience with them. Once I get some use out of the stock tires, I'll replace with the BFG A/T. They have been really great tires for me and they look great too. So far, I'm not finding anyone with any tonneau issues with the tailgate. I've got it narrowed down to the Retrax Pro or one of the Bakflip models for Rambox bed. Leaning toward the Bakflip. I have been relying on my sales guy for updates. How do I check the status through Ram Chat? I'm not familiar with what that is.

SoCADesertRat

Reaction score
Am puzzled by defaulting to 3.92. When I ordered I selected 3.21 first and then when I selected the ORG. The E-Locker was included like expected but the ratio did not change from 3.21. If I would have ordered the E-Locker separately it would have defaulted to 3.92. Maybe a quirk or something new. I have run E rated BFG KO2's on my 2006 Chevy Duramax (325,000 miles on the odometer) for several years and love them, but are too heavy and aggressive for my 1500 and want I want to do with it. On the tonneau issue, Lomax specifically states that their trifold will not fit the MFT. Do Retrax and BakFlip fit the MFT? For the Chat, go to the Ram Trucks Website and find "Contact". There you can see their 800 number for Customer Service and the "Chat" link. Use either. They are open 24 hours M-Sa. Just ask for your order status. You will have to give them name, address, phone, email, VIN or VOC. Cheer and thanks. Gib

kstod21

Reaction score
Am puzzled by defaulting to 3.92. When I ordered I selected 3.21 first and then when I selected the ORG. The E-Locker was included like expected but the ratio did not change from 3.21. If I would have ordered the E-Locker separately it would have defaulted to 3.92. Maybe a quirk or something new. I have run E rated BFG KO2's on my 2006 Chevy Duramax (325,000 miles on the odometer) for several years and love them, but are too heavy and aggressive for my 1500 and want I want to do with it. On the tonneau issue, Lomax specifically states that their trifold will not fit the MFT. Do Retrax and BakFlip fit the MFT? For the Chat, go to the Ram Trucks Website and find "Contact". There you can see their 800 number for Customer Service and the "Chat" link. Use either. They are open 24 hours M-Sa. Just ask for your order status. You will have to give them name, address, phone, email, VIN or VOC. Cheer and thanks. Gib
I'll have to call and ask about the MFT for each.

DavidNJ

Reaction score

The retail Falklands have great reviews. The Nitto Ridge Grappler seems to be everybody's new favorite.

With the ORG your truck should be able to fit a 34 inch tire with the same vertical clearance as the OE 32 inch tire without the ORG. Examples would include a 275/65–20 and 295/60–20. that size should also fit the under bed spare tire carrier. The speedometer is easily recalibrated either by the dealer or with the relatively modestly priced tool.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/