5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spirited Driving in the Rebel?

ryco25

Reaction score
Anyone ever spend time using the truck for what its not meant for - spirited driving? This quarantine has got me stir crazy so my release of choice is going for spirited drive down some twisty, technical forest backroads near me. As I don't have an extra sports car in my garage, I pretended the Rebel was one.

I must say - this truck handles exceptionally well for what it is. I beat on it for about an hour last night, keeping it just below the limit where physics says no more. The suspension does exceptionally well in keeping the truck balanced with not too much body roll, the transmission knows what gears I want, the Hemi of course puts the power down, and the brakes do a great job of slowing this beast down. Kept my exhaust cutout shut so as not to alert everyone in the neighboring area, and it was a peaceful yet aggressive drive. Re-fell in love with my truck again last night, its just so good. Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee and an Expedition before this; this truck does the best on those roads.

Anyone else take their trucks through the backroads? Its a good time. IMG_0807 copy.jpg

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you can, not in a small sports car way, more in a large GT type of way.

I remember watching Top Gear and Jeremy Clarkson driving the previous gen V8 Raptor (Hennessy Modified I think), he loved that truck. He was driving it up on some rural roads in Canada and remarked how it reminded him of his old Aston Martin or some other similar V8 grand tourer. The sound, power and comfort.

I think the Rebel is that way as well on the road. I have a pretty windy road I like to ride my sportbike on, but sometimes I'll take my Rebel there, and it's reminds me a large performance sedan. It's too tall riding of course, but handles well for having T/A tires, and that good power with a great sound. Its actually quite fun.

Here is one of my favorite British car reviewer here in America reviewing the RAM. Not a Rebel, but still close on how it handles the canyons. He talks about the driving feel at about 9:40m.

Last edited:

Cease11

Reaction score
Every other weekend. Hopefully get out to the desert this weekend D6274EB8-7DE9-41EB-908D-F67D07C96A31.jpeg A01176C0-B621-446E-A3C2-D396BE2B614A.jpeg l

A buddy of mine picked up a big horn 4x4. In this picture he’s only had it for 2 weeks and already scratched from bushes

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spirited road driving? A bit. It definitely feels much more stable in corners than my old Titan. If I wanted more I'd get the Hellwig rear sway bar, but I want to keep the suspension softer for off road-ing a bit. My neighborhood is clearing lots for new houses so I went and found some mud to do a few donuts. One thing I've found after doing that was that I did not plan ahead with my step bars I bought. They got completely covered in mud to where I had to spray them off or risk falling if I used them getting out.
20200317_073005.jpg

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Spirited road driving? A bit. It definitely feels much more stable in corners than my old Titan. If I wanted more I'd get the Hellwig rear sway bar, but I want to keep the suspension softer for off road-ing a bit. My neighborhood is clearing lots for new houses so I went and found some mud to do a few donuts. One thing I've found after doing that was that I did not plan ahead with my step bars I bought. They got completely covered in mud to where I had to spray them off or risk falling if I used them getting out.
View attachment 50590
they're protecting your paint tho! that's the main reason i got mine lol

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
they're protecting your paint tho! that's the main reason i got mine lol
I'm 5'10" with a 6'1" dimensioned torso (aka short legs). Once I put my leveling spacers in I need the steps or I have to jump to get in/out. My oldest also uses them to climb into the truck so I don't have to pick him up.

anthraxius

Reaction score
Took mine about 12 mi into Pike national forest right in over a foot of snow. Handled awesome...

2019ramrebel12

Reaction score
Took mine about 12 mi into Pike national forest right in over a foot of snow. Handled awesome...
Where did you go in the forest? I'm staying in Black Forest at my folks' house for a couple weeks. Took my Dad's jeep out on some good trails Woodland Park earlier this week.

anthraxius

Reaction score
Where did you go in the forest? I'm staying in Black Forest at my folks' house for a couple weeks. Took my Dad's jeep out on some good trails Woodland Park earlier this week.
Sorry was Arapahoe forest, near goose creek trailhead. There's a bunch of forest roads out there which are well taken care of, but it was covered in snow so pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread