5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SPIED: 2019 Ram HD Pickups...

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like the 2019 Ram HDs will get a minor refresh to hold out till the new trucks replace the current generation, when they move to the Warren Truck Assembly in Warren, Michigan from Saltillo, Mexico. But it looks like they are getting an update to look more like the all-new Ram 1500.

(see attachment)

"Camouflaged Ram heavy-duty prototypes have been running for quite a while. With these slips of the front camouflage, we finally get a sense of some key design changes and how they relate to the recently released 2019 Ram 1500.

"Our latest photos reveal some significant changes to the grille shape and detailing on the updated Ram 2500/3500 front end. These prototypes are still wearing the Laramie-style grille (which may or may not continue in production), but the grille frame and its surrounding design elements are thoroughly overhauled.

(see attachment)

"The simple outline of the current Ram HD grille has been significantly stylized, with a raised center portion eventually curving to create what appears to be a brow effect over the headlights. The new look brings the HD into harmony with the redesigned 2019 Ram 1500, while still giving the HD its own bolder look. The Ram HD grille frame also appears to have some notched details at the top and bottom — almost like teeth — which enter the grille space.

(see attachment)

"The new shape of the grille will likely require a totally new hood design, and may also require revised front fenders to accommodate the grille's wider coverage. As of now, it still appears that the existing Ram HD headlights may carry over, but new units could still be added as testing progresses. If new headlights are part of the redesign, then expect the same shaped housing with new internal elements, instead of totally redesigned units.

(see attachment)

"One of our sources snapped a couple rear shots of one of the prototypes wearing the new grille design, and we see some taillight changes compared to current Ram HDs. The new taillights appear to have been lifted from global Rams, which would provide a cheap way to offer some changed rear lighting to the updated Ram HDs. Despite the foreign taillights, the rest of the vehicle has no other global-market cues (non-U.S. side marker lights, etc.) and it's wearing the U.S.-spec third brake light on the top of the cab (red lenses versus the black frame with clear bulbs on global Rams).

(see attachment)

"The changes revealed here might serve as a mild refresh to the 2019 Ram HD trucks until full next-generation Ram HDs enter production at Fiat Chrysler Automobiles' Warren Truck Assembly Plant in Michigan in late 2020."

KGP Photography images

Attachments

• pasted-from-clipboard.png
    pasted-from-clipboard.png
    289.2 KB · Views: 331
    245.5 KB · Views: 253
    269.3 KB · Views: 246
    215.6 KB · Views: 232
    461.6 KB · Views: 261

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks like they are going further with the refresh than I expected. I bet it will use a different grille design, that looks like the current grille cut and fit into the opening as a placeholder.

DSOOBY

Reaction score
Jared Balfour said:
Looks like they are going further with the refresh than I expected. I bet it will use a different grille design, that looks like the current grille cut and fit into the opening as a placeholder.
Agreed, in no way does the nostril girll make sense with that surround. I would expect the "industrial" look of the surround to be applied to the redesigned grille. Headlights will probablly have a similar look to the middle grade LED headlights in DT, but reworked to fit the old housing. Just speculation though.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. 2019 Ram 1500. 2018...March 16th for full info, pricing.Ram 2500 is usually one year after, but not this time (2 years)2020 Ram 2500 will still be 4th generation 2019 calender.2021 Ram 2500 5th gen. 2020 calender year.What model can you buy today (2018) and when would a 2019 Ram 2500 be available.Which one of the above is this about (2019)Bring on the updated Powerwagon.Can't wait for the redesign Powerwagon beside the new Rebel.

Thinking out loud.

D

Deleted member 85

I wonder if they'll change the headlights to the styling of the DT. Besides losing the cross hair grille, another iconic thing about the DS Ram was the headlight design. It won't look all that different if the lights aren't adjusted also.

My 0.02

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
BobbiBigWheels said:
I wonder if they'll change the headlights to the styling of the DT. Besides losing the cross hair grille, another iconic thing about the DS Ram was the headlight design. It won't look all that different if the lights aren't adjusted also.

My 0.02
Doubtful.

Chirp08

Reaction score
Either the headlights or the grille is changing.. the openings on the the grille are designed to line up with the headlights, a styling cue they kept going with the DT design as well. There is no way they are going to have the grille openings on either side of there ram aligned above the headlights like that.

What would be interesting is if they went vertical with the lights similar to the super duty style and truly separated the HD line from the 1500. With the massive height of the grille in those pictures its certainly a possibility.

Users who are viewing this thread