5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Special Ordering a New Truck

ant0064

Reaction score
For those that have special ordered a truck, I'm looking for some advice since I've never done it. Did you order through a dealership and if so how long did it take to come in? As far as negotiation on a trade, did it make it more difficult? What about dealer incentives? What's the average turn around time between order date and when you can drive it home?

Any other info or tips will help...thanks!

cobrar97

Reaction score
I always order my vehicles. I don't want a truck that's been sitting on the lot getting acid rain on it and being driven around by who-knows-who. Especially in the winter months, test drives are quite messy for the interior. Anyhow, to answer your questions:
Yes...you are only going to be able to order through a dealership. To get your best price, you going to want to have one "spec'd out". Go on Ram's website and build one exactly like you want it and document all those options. You can now present this "spec" to all the dealers, and it will allow you to compare apples-to-apples when it comes to price.
When requesting your price for your spec'd truck, ensure that ALL dealers are giving you a price that's PRE-INCENTIVE. Since the incentives that will apply are going to be those that are available when the truck arrives, they may not be the same incentives available today. With that in mind, you want the PRE-INCENTIVE prices from dealers. The incentives will be what they are when the time comes to take delivery of the new Ram.
Get prices quotes from numerous area dealers to get your best price. I got prices from 21 dealers. Luckily the FCA brands have dealers all over the place, so they will need to fight for the sale a little. The truck I ordered had an MSRP of $68,690. I received dealer prices ranging from a high of $62,616 down to $59,396 (that's a $3220 difference in dealer pricing....which is huge to me). Whatever the incentives are at time of delivery will come of that final number.
Your trade should have NOTHING to do with the new Ram cost at all. That's a math games dealers will play when they know they can. I generally get my best new vehicle price before even talking about a trade at all...as it's a separate issue. In the end, the dealer you choose may be $300 in price higher than your lowest new-truck price, but they may give you $500 more for your trade...so it'll be a combo of the best deal in the end. Since you are ordering the truck, it will literally be the exact same truck (to the VIN number) no matter whom you buy it from.
Some orders take longer than others with no rhyme to reason. I ordered a Limited the last week of February. As of today, this past Tuesday, it's already been built and is waiting to be loaded on a truck for delivery to the dealer. That's pretty fast. I've seen records of orders that were placed long before mine and those folks are still waiting for their truck to be built...and I can't say why.
Also...after getting close to ordering, make sure you go to Ram's website and request a PRINT brochure. It will take about 2-3 weeks to get it, but your name will be registered in their system. You can then call their incentive department at 800-227-0757 (option 1) and get a special rebate code that's good for $500. You provide that to the dealer when the incentive paperwork is getting done. From the time you register with Ram, you have like 3 months to call-in for that code...so don't get a brochure now if you aren't going to buy for a while.
Another incentive that's not listed on the website is 38CK5. It's a $1000 conquest incentive if you own a Ford or Chevy truck now. You don't even have to be trading it in...just prove that you own it. Ram has been renewing this rebate for quite a few months now. It will expire at the first of the month, but will most-likely be renewed again.
Anyhow...I think I've answered everything. Hoping to hear that you get one ordered up.

Turin

Reaction score
[A]fter getting close to ordering, make sure you go to Ram's website and request a PRINT brochure. It will take about 2-3 weeks to get it, but your name will be registered in their system. You can then call their incentive department at 800-227-0757 (option 1) and get a special rebate code that's good for $500.
Hold the fort, what's this? I've been following these forums for months and don't recall seeing this nugget of information before. I've already ordered, my truck is built, but it hasn't made it to the dealership yet. I wonder if there's still time to get in on this.

cobrar97

Reaction score
Hold the fort, what's this? I've been following these forums for months and don't recall seeing this nugget of information before. I've already ordered, my truck is built, but it hasn't made it to the dealership yet. I wonder if there's still time to get in on this.
Ha...I would say so. Get yourself "registered" (as they call it) on Ram's website and you'll be good to go. When you call the number, they'll ask you for your full name. As long as you are registered in their system; they'll give you a special rebate code for $500. This program comes and goes, but it's currently a GO.

RAMRhode

Reaction score
Also search for thread here for Allstate rebate for 250. And dont forget to consider that your employer may offer a friends and family pricing which is 1% below invoice. Another option is Costco and an evironmental group (sorry, forget name and maybe someone here can direct you) that offers same discounts). Keep in mind that 0% financing may be much more than dealer rebates being offered. Finally, sell, don’t trade in!

cobrar97

Reaction score
Also search for thread here for Allstate rebate for 250. And dont forget to consider that your employer may offer a friends and family pricing which is 1% below invoice. Another option is Costco and an evironmental group (sorry, forget name and maybe someone here can direct you) that offers same discounts). Keep in mind that 0% financing may be much more than dealer rebates being offered. Finally, sell, don’t trade in!

RAMRhode is right about selling versus trading. Sometimes (for most people) selling outright can be much better than trading. I didn't even think to mention that, because in my case, I'm generally better to trade. In many states (mine being one of them), your trade-in value reduces the sales tax impact on your new vehicle by the amount you are given for your trade in. So you'll want to check that math. In my case, I am trading in a 2016 F-150 Limited with 13,000 miles that's in showroom condition. Trade in value is $42,000 for it. My sales tax rate is 7.25% or $3045. So I'd need to sell my truck outright for $45,045 just to break even versus trading. For the small amount more I "might" get, it's not worth the hassle. Finding someone that either has the cash or can get the financing for a used $45,000+ truck isn't easy in most cases. So sometimes trading is better. But if you have something that's 6 years old with average mileage (or live in a state where there's no sales tax advantage), selling outright will almost always be the better deal.

cobrar97

Reaction score
Also Turin...check out the 45CKCD Ram Bonus Cash. It's for $250.00 and is active until April 1st. It's a little-known bonus that doesn't show up on Ram's website. Your dealer should have caught it, but who knows. Every little bit helps.

enemjay

Reaction score
I've read in other threads on this forum that you can lock in the incentives when placing an order and also add any additional incentives when you take delivery (if new incentives become available at that time). I haven't experienced this myself but just sharing what I've read.

Turin

Reaction score
Also search for thread here for Allstate rebate for 250.
Yep; I did see that one before. It's technically BonusDrive, not Allstate, but you can submit via the Allstate link.
And dont forget to consider that your employer may offer a friends and family pricing which is 1% below invoice. Another option is Costco and an evironmental group (sorry, forget name and maybe someone here can direct you) that offers same discounts).
TreadLightly. For a $100 donation (and after a 30 day waiting period) you can get an affiliate code for 1% below invoice. Not a bad deal but you can do better if you shop around.

cobrar97

Reaction score
I've read in other threads on this forum that you can lock in the incentives when placing an order and also add any additional incentives when you take delivery (if new incentives become available at that time). I haven't experienced this myself but just sharing what I've read.

This is only valid of "some" incentives. For each incentive, there's a sheet of paper (which I've never been able to find online) that outline the specifics of that incentive. Dealers will have these available. The sheet will be very specific as to if the incentive can be "locked" at time of order or not. Most of the good ones Ram has specified as not being able to be held onto. Sorry to say.

As far as any of the 1% under invoice programs...they are no good. You should be able to get better pricing than that on your own without any trouble.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Yes, some dealers will lock in the current incentive, but if the incentives are better at the time you take delivery, you can take the better incentives instead. My dealer allowed this.

Another tip is to not even bother going to a dealership until you are serious about negotiating the final details and want to meet the staff and feel comfortable. I listed out all my specs I wanted, and requested dealers respond to my email with a POC showing everything and my price. I very quickly weeded out certain dealers and narrowed it down to just a couple before settling on one. I didn't go into the dealer I chose until test driving one last time before walking back in and starting paperwork.

cobrar97

Reaction score
Another tip is to not even bother going to a dealership until you are serious about negotiating the final details and want to meet the staff and feel comfortable. I listed out all my specs I wanted, and requested dealers respond to my email with a POC showing everything and my price. I very quickly weeded out certain dealers and narrowed it down to just a couple before settling on one. I didn't go into the dealer I chose until test driving one last time before walking back in and starting paperwork.

That's exactly what I did. In fact...I haven't set foot in a dealer until taking delivery of the vehicle for the last 6 vehicles I've bought. I do everything online until it's time to pick it up. My local dealer is not aggressive on price at all, but if I want to look at one in person in the beginning (when I'm trying to decide if I even want to move forward) or test drive one, I just go to the local dealer. I'll give them their shot at the price (which they're never even in the ballpark), and then I go about my way.
If a dealer won't price your vehicle without you coming into the showroom...move on, there's plenty out there.

Turin

Reaction score
Also Turin...check out the 45CKCD Ram Bonus Cash. It's for $250.00 and is active until April 1st. It's a little-known bonus that doesn't show up on Ram's website. Your dealer should have caught it, but who knows. Every little bit helps.
Isn't that the same thing as a dealer coupon? (Where dealerships get some number of coupons per month from FCA and can use up to three on any given purchase.) I'll ask, though. Thanks.

cobrar97

Reaction score
Isn't that the same thing as a dealer coupon? (Where dealerships get some number of coupons per month from FCA and can use up to three on any given purchase.) I'll ask, though. Thanks.
Yes...it's the same code.

alow

Reaction score
Great advice above. I'll add to look into the options you want and if the website says the combo is unavailable, ask when you get to the dealer. Sometimes the dealer can order combos the website wont do. Remember, you are custom ordering for a reason. Get exactly what you want. Also get the value of your current vehicle priced out via carmax or atleast bluebook and have that for when you have completed your negotiations for your new truck. As above, dont negotiate trades when you havent come up with a solid price on your new Ram.

Pitcom

Reaction score
Ha...I would say so. Get yourself "registered" (as they call it) on Ram's website and you'll be good to go. When you call the number, they'll ask you for your full name. As long as you are registered in their system; they'll give you a special rebate code for $500. This program comes and goes, but it's currently a GO.
I dont see anywhere on the site to register. What I do see is a reauest to have a brochure mailed to your address. Is that what you are referring to? Thanks

Saints

Reaction score
Also...after getting close to ordering, make sure you go to Ram's website and request a PRINT brochure. It will take about 2-3 weeks to get it, but your name will be registered in their system. You can then call their incentive department at 800-227-0757 (option 1) and get a special rebate code that's good for $500.
I just tried to call to get a code and they said no and didn’t really know what I was talking about.

Cmerkert

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have done that. Locked in 6 incentives for $4,750 in Feb. Truck just got finished being built yesterday. Awaiting delivery. Dealer said I would be able to lock and add any new ones.

WasatchBack

Reaction score
I just tried to call to get a code and they said no and didn’t really know what I was talking about.
Just request the brochure online. You may or may not get a coupon code with the brochure, or via email automatically.

MTRHEAD

Reaction score
I requested a brochure early on and got it about 2 months after i took delivery. Definitely check into the bonus drive thing. It got me $500 on my jeep but then they dropped it to $250 when i bought my Ram. I also got $500 off for a Sams Club member. I had my trade in cleaned, waxed, ready to put on the lot and my dealer told me he had a $250 coupon he could give to anyone and gave it to me because of the condition of my trade.

Users who are viewing this thread