5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire WARNING

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats what I’m going to do ill random search eBay every once in awhile and find a cheap spare and throw either the same or a cheaper tire on it when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
After buying four new 295/70R18 tires I figured I better replace my now-to-small spare.
So, I bought a used LT 295/70R18 Falken Wildpeak A/T3W 129/126R with 15/32" tread left off of Ebay.
It was two hundred dollars. It measures just over thirty-four inches and just fits without any grinding or cutting.

The installers mounted it on my OEM spare steel wheel.

I didn't care to have a matching tire, as it's just a spare with a similar tread pattern. But, I did want a quality spare so I didn't have to limp around and look stupid while fixing a flat. I do carry a plug kit and small compressor too.

I saved one hundred-fifty dollars compared to buying a matching spare tire.

View attachment 149123
Stupid question.
Did you mount the tire so the bracket is sitting on the outside facing part of the wheel?

I have mine mounted facing up so crap doesn't hit the outside of the wheel or the valve stem.

Personally I have a 265/65R18 as a spare which is very similar to my OEM 285/45R22 (1.6% smaller diameter)

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stupid question.
Did you mount the tire so the bracket is sitting on the outside facing part of the wheel?

I have mine mounted facing up so crap doesn't hit the outside of the wheel or the valve stem.

Personally I have a 265/65R18 as a spare which is very similar to my OEM 285/45R22 (1.6% smaller diameter)
Yes, my spare is mounted face down. The installer put it that way after swapping tires.
I understand the concern, but I'll just leave it like this - it is easier to check air pressure.

Your spare sounds good enough for its purpose. I think I read that anything less 3% difference in circumference is acceptable.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Yes, my spare is mounted face down. The installer put it that way after swapping tires.
I understand the concern, but I'll just leave it like this - it is easier to check air pressure.

Your spare sounds good enough for its purpose. I think I read that anything less 3% difference in circumference is acceptable.
Yeah mine is fine. Much better then the temp use spare they give us for some reason.
I never bother checking my spare's air. I just fill it up when I use it.
It was 26psi earlyer so i filled it up to 36, but I try to avoid ever driving on it anyways.

Ram-a-Kin

Reaction score
Are you guys running the same tire model for your spare or just a cheapo tire in the same or close in size?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I bought the same tire as I have in 265/70R18 size used and put it on the spare rim that came with my truck for now. I will probably get a 22” steel rim at some point.

Last edited:

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought the same tire used in 265/70R18 size and put it on the spare rim that came with my truck for now. I will probably get a 22” steel rim at some point.
There's not much point getting a different spare rim to match your fancy wheels' diameter.

The most important thing is having a good quality non-temporary tire with a similar tread pattern and circumference.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
There's not much point getting a different spare rim to match your fancy wheels' diameter.

The most important thing is having a good quality non-temporary tire with a similar tread pattern and circumference.
Also good luck lifting up a 22" steel wheel on the side of the road after getting a flat.

cskindt

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why even bother carrying a spare if you are paying for AAA and are going to have them do your tire.. Just get a free tow to get your tire fixed\replaced...
Because you will get tired of waiting for them to show up and just change it yourself. (y)

skyhawk42

Reaction score
So I finally attempted this and it was a fail. BFG 35x12.50 on a 10” wide wheel doesn’t clear. It hits the back of the hitch and I cranked it pretty hard. It when up but with it pressed hard into the hitch and the track bar it squeaked like crazy shift weight in the truck with out even driving. Has anyone tried moving the bumper/hitch back at at all? Wondering if that’s possible. I don’t like the idea of grinding the weld down on the back side of the hitch

Jaylon35

Reaction score
I am sitting along the highway as I type this. My worst fear happened on my limited today...hit a pot hole and bent a 22" wheel.......pulled out owners manual...found jack....lowered spare from rear.....jacked up front corner of truck....
Changed tires.......that's when I was dumbfounded by FCA.
Because the spare is a steel (thin) wheel and the 22's are thicker alloy the LUG NUTS WILL NOT TORQUE DOWN!!.....studs are too long......lugs to shallow...whatever!!

$65K TRUCK DOES NOT HAVE SERVICABLE SPARE TIRE.....WAITING FOR TOW....MISSED MY FLIGHT OUT

Is it just me or is this inexcusable from an engineering stand point

#FixItAgainTony
Should I add some washers in my glove box?

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Holy old post comment. I remember seeing this when I joined. I don't think anyone else ever had the same issue and OP never confirmed it either

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
No because OP didn't know wtf they were doing.

The spare works fine, the tread on the tire is a joke and you can change it out with a regular tire to make it close tot he same diameter.
Lugs go on fine, my M18 had no problem making sure it fit fine, maybe he was trying to make it hand tight or changed his factory lugnuts with aftermarket wheels, who knows.

Just take your spare off and 1 lugnut and take a look for yourself if you are concerned.

ramm440

Reaction score
Hi all ! I just bought a 2023 ecodiesel 4x4 and looked at my spare that is a 245/70/18 Temporary use only tire. Will a normal tire mount on the steel rim? Temp looks like my hair all thinned out! The other 4 tires are 275/65/18

H2OMAN

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi all ! I just bought a 2023 ecodiesel 4x4 and looked at my spare that is a 245/70/18 Temporary use only tire. Will a normal tire mount on the steel rim? Temp looks like my hair all thinned out! The other 4 tires are 275/65/18
Yes. You can fit one of those tires on that rim.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just get an old rim and newer tire.
Doesn't need to match as a spare.

I have my old Silverado's worn tire on the spare rim.

Users who are viewing this thread