5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire WARNING

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Everyone gets the same spare unless you get an TRX with that offroad package thing.
Not true.

There are steel wheel spares or aluminum wheel spares. I have a steel wheel factory spare.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Who gets a real spare then?
The ORP group trucks get full size real spare tire. But my spare tire was on a steel wheel. Not 100% sure what option decides if you get the temp spare tire, aluminum wheel, steel wheel, or real full size spare tire, other than the ORG group.

Threesuns1

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The ORP group trucks get full size real spare tire. But my spare tire was on a steel wheel. Not 100% sure what option decides if you get the temp spare tire, aluminum wheel, steel wheel, or real full size spare tire, other than the ORG group.
This was one of the reasons I order the ORP, along with the e-locker, tow hooks, and +1" ride height. Mine came with steel wheel and Falken tire.

Gren71

Reaction score
havent finished the thread but figured id ask anyway...

will an OEM tire fit on the spare rim AND in the space tire space?

Ill be replacing my ires soon (hopefully) id would HATE to get stuck changing into this limp spare while im pulling my camper.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
havent finished the thread but figured id ask anyway...

will an OEM tire fit on the spare rim AND in the space tire space?

Ill be replacing my ires soon (hopefully) id would HATE to get stuck changing into this limp spare while im pulling my camper.
If you have 18" wheels from the factory, then yes. The spare tire wheel is 18". If you have factory 20" wheels, you will have to find an equivalent outside diameter tire for the 18" spare, ore buy a matching 20" wheel. I have a matching 20" Built to Serve wheel with a 34" tire on it under my bed

SShadow1974

Reaction score
Ummm... Is what you are saying that if you have 20" rims and do NOT have the ORP, you have an 18" spare? Does the tire size on that 18" spare make the spare an equivalant size to 275/55/R20?

SShadow1974

Reaction score
You always get the same spare unless you get the ORG or a TRX. Even my Limited with 22s came with an 18 inch painted aluminum spare.
I understand that, but is that 18" rim wrapped in a tire that has the same diameter of a 275/55/20? Because if it doesn't, running that spare is going to cause issues with the speed sensors because that wheel will not spin at the same speed as the rest of your wheels... Which basically makes that spare useless.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand that, but is that 18" rim wrapped in a tire that has the same diameter of a 275/55/20? Because if it doesn't, running that spare is going to cause issues with the speed sensors because that wheel will not spin at the same speed as the rest of your wheels... Which basically makes that spare useless.
Yes, the spare should have a tire equivalent to the diameter of whatever the regular tires are.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Not only will the spare not be the correct size, if you take it out and look at it, it has temp threads. It's not even a regular tire. I believe it's rated for 55mpg top and 50 miles of use before it's trash.
I used the rim and mounted a half tread Silverado tire to the wheel and it's within 1% of my 22s diameter.
You shouldn't be driving around on a spare unless you need it, and the one they give you will work
Use a tire diameter calculator and get a used tire and get it mounted and balenced, or even find a wheel/tire locally and replace the spare if you want.

Ready Go

Reaction score
I ordered my 2024 Laramie G/T with the $0 optional 5-spoke 20x9" wheels and 275/55R20 Bridgestone Deuler H/Ls.
My spare is an aluminum 18x7.5" 12-spoke wheel with a 245/70R18 GoodYear Radial Spare..looks like half tread.
A quick Giggle search shows this tire has 5/32 tread and 31.5" height.
I imagine this aluminum wheel wouldn't have any issues with the OEM lugs.

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I ordered my 2024 Laramie G/T with the $0 optional 5-spoke 20x9" wheels and 275/55R20 Bridgestone Deuler H/Ls.
My spare is an aluminum 18x7.5" 12-spoke wheel with a 245/70R18 GoodYear Radial Spare..looks like half tread.
A quick Giggle search shows this tire has 5/32 tread and 31.5" height.
I imagine this aluminum wheel wouldn't have any issues with the OEM lugs.
It will fit your truck, it's just a differnet size wheel is all. For temp use it's 100% fine.
I had a spare tire so I swapped mine out so now if needed I can use it and drive normal.

Gren71

Reaction score
If you have 18" wheels from the factory, then yes. The spare tire wheel is 18". If you have factory 20" wheels, you will have to find an equivalent outside diameter tire for the 18" spare, ore buy a matching 20" wheel. I have a matching 20" Built to Serve wheel with a 34" tire on it under my bed
thanks! I do have the 18in rims and im looking at a take off spare tire from craigslist for $50 to swap onto the spare rim so its useful if im stranded while towing.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
This is the 18” spare that came with my ORG BackCountry. Blew a tire 3 1/2 miles from the nearest paved road. Drove on the flat till I got to high ground. Fun times.

The factory scissor jack sucks on soft ground. Lesson learned. Always pack essential tools to do the job.

IMG_9763.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread