5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spare tire hanger with aftermarket wheel - Is this safe?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wanted a true full size spare to match my Fuel Blitz 18x9 with Yokohoma Geoland X-AT 295/70R18 tires, so I plunked down a big ol' hunk o' cash to get a matching wheel and tire. My plan is to go to a five-tire rotation, so this blunts the pain by effectively extending the lifespan of my tires by 20%. At least, that's my excuse.

I've got two issues, the first being that the tire doesn't fit under the bed, even deflated to 30 psi (I could try going lower, but I don't think it'll make much difference). 295/70R18 works out to 34.3", but the X-ATs are oversized, which a published 34.6" diameter. That extra 0.3" may be all that's keeping the tire from fitting. Nonetheless, I think I can make it work, even if it involves grinding down the hitch receiver a bit.

The second issue is the one I'm more concerned about: The hub bore diameter of Fuel wheel is 106.1 mm vs 77.8 mm stock. The spare tire hanger is meant to fit the stock bore, of course. I'm able to hoist the Fuel wheel (aside from the fitment problem), but it looks a bit precarious. When hoisting the stock spare, the hanger more or less automatically centers itself, while on the Fuel where, you have to carefully center it, and even then, it lifts unevenly.

What do you think of these possible solutions?

1. Hub centric ring to hold the tire in place on the hanger. I'm thinking of an aluminum ring with a lip.
  2. Replace the entire spare tire hanger, cable and all.
  3. Use some sort of adapter for the exiting hanger to make it fit the larger hub bore.
  4. Don't sweat it; once I have the tire hoisted with enough tension, it's going to stay in place.
The black wheel in the photos is the stock wheel; the silver is the Fuel wheel.
tempImagem7Xzqp.jpg tempImageCZkUKy.jpg

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a custom wheel/hub centric spacer from the good folks at US Wheel Adapters. If you talk to Doug there, be sure to ask him, "How much for one rib?"

It was a little pricey, but better than losing a wheel on the highway or mountain.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So, how much was it for one ring? 💰💰I hope it was cheaper than this set of 4 I bought. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08MZC8DB9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1
It was a lot more!

But what I ordered wasn’t a huh ring, it was a wheel and hub centric space. I thought about just using a ring, but I wasn’t sure if it would stay in place with the hanger. See my link above to AJB’s post to see what I’m talking about.

If a huh ring would work…drat, I just spent more money than I need to.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I don't think a hub centric spacer would stay in place, but it didn't look like you needed anything to hold the new spare in place anyway. Oh well, it's secure now.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think a hub centric spacer would stay in place, but it didn't look like you needed anything to hold the new spare in place anyway. Oh well, it's secure now.
It sorta holds it. But I had to guide it on the way up, and once it fell off while cranking it up. It just felt too precarious.
The solution I picked is probably overkill, but I'll fret about it for a little while, which is better than fretting constantly about the spare slipping off the hanger.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It sorta holds it. But I had to guide it on the way up, and once it fell off while cranking it up. It just felt too precarious.
The solution I picked is probably overkill, but I'll fret about it for a little while, which is better than fretting constantly about the spare slipping off the hanger.

Yeah, it would bother me thinking about that bracket getting cattywampus from vibration, etc. and spitting out your spare tire/wheel.

Jack.

Reaction score
Thats crazy im having the same issue, i always think about it while going down the highway. Mine hangs up very similarly to yours as well.

Jack.

Reaction score
I ordered a custom wheel/hub centric spacer from the good folks at US Wheel Adapters. If you talk to Doug there, be sure to ask him, "How much for one rib?"

It was a little pricey, but better than losing a wheel on the highway or mountain.
can you link me the exact one that you got?

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I posted more about this in the What did you do to your Ram today? thread, but I had a friend help me fit the spare by trimming the hitch receiver.

This is without the wheel spacer. It feels decently secure, but I’ll feel better (albeit a little poorer) once I put the spacer in on Monday.

8E9250DE-130A-4B71-AD4A-F1E567B7FD96.jpeg F8282965-C3D4-45D4-A232-AD15CAC9CCB9.jpeg

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So it turns out, the wheel spacer had already arrived by the time I did the test fit. I checked the mail and discovered the it arrived a couple days early.

It’s a slip on, which is what I wanted and expected. In retrospect, I can see how a bolt on might be a little easier to align, but this wasn’t bad because I already had hoisted the wheel. When I lowered it, it came down front first with the rear hung upon the hitch. This allowed me to (carefully, as I wouldn’t want the heavy tire and wheel to fall down on my arms) feed the wheel hoist through the spacer.

It’s secure. I feel good about this, even if it was an expensive solution.

D2F3E95B-2D1D-4C06-B67E-A0B5CBBEF1B5.jpeg 2A3E106D-334E-4AE3-968D-AD7F65C864C8.jpeg
D22C0A06-F868-4E68-910B-B49B2EDFE834.jpeg

Jack.

Reaction score
So it turns out, the wheel spacer had already arrived by the time I did the test fit. I checked the mail and discovered the it arrived a couple days early.

It’s a slip on, which is what I wanted and expected. In retrospect, I can see how a bolt on might be a little easier to align, but this wasn’t bad because I already had hoisted the wheel. When I lowered it, it came down front first with the rear hung upon the hitch. This allowed me to (carefully, as I wouldn’t want the heavy tire and wheel to fall down on my arms) feed the wheel hoist through the spacer.

It’s secure. I feel good about this, even if it was an expensive solution.

View attachment 137377 View attachment 137376
View attachment 137378
Ah nice! So you didn't go with a bolt on one. I'll be placing my order monday!

ramain

Reaction score
How did you manage to fit the 34.6" spare tire underneath? I'm on a similar boat to see if I can do fit a 285/65/R20 (34.6x11.2) spare.

Users who are viewing this thread