5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sound System Problems

Jasonml24

Reaction score
That's good to hear that your truck has been issue free. It looks like doing this "hard reset" may be the trick for some problematic trucks with weird issues.

Would you be able to contact your salesman to ask how the hard reset is performed?
I talked to my salesman this morning and asked him what exactly was done to my truck. His claim was they hooked it up to their computer and reset the unit. I then asked him about what he said to me about doing a “hard reset” and he said yes you can and that there is a sequence of button pushes and that he was gonna talk to one of the techs and verify the sequence. Supposed to get back to me. That’s all I can come up with so far.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
You know, the only thing I haven't tried, and apparently its a common thing with FCA vehicles - was to disconnect both positive and negative terminals on the battery, and connect both positive and negative wires together. I wonder if that's the answer?

I've tried all the other possible resets, but no results or resolution.
Salesman just got back to me and he’s telling me the hard reset is taking the positive and negative cables off for 20 minutes. He originally said it was a button sequence on the radio itself. Now he’s telling me this is what they did to mine to fix the issue. Hope this helps.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Salesman just got back to me and he’s telling me the hard reset is taking the positive and negative cables off for 20 minutes. He originally said it was a button sequence on the radio itself. Now he’s telling me this is what they did to mine to fix the issue. Hope this helps.

Thanks! I’ll give this a shot tomorrow and will post if the issue comes back. So far I’ve only been disconnecting the negative terminal.

Rich

Reaction score
There's no difference in disconnecting both battery posts or just one. Either way, the battery is disconnected. But this is only if you fully disconnect one battery post.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
I've disconnected both positive and negative terminals on the battery for just over 20 minutes. I can say it has the same result as only disconnecting the negative terminal for a second or two (as expected). We'll see if the issue comes back (which I'm sure it will).

What I've been doing is when the issue comes up (upon starting the truck), I shut it back down and disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for a few seconds, then reconnect. What this does is it brings uConnect back to the start-up screen (where you have to press accept). This manages to remedy the issue for the time being, especially when I know I'm in for a long drive. And yes, it sucks carrying a 7mm socket/ratchet in the centre console for this exact purpose.

I'll post an update for the results.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
I've disconnected both positive and negative terminals on the battery for just over 20 minutes. I can say it has the same result as only disconnecting the negative terminal for a second or two (as expected). We'll see if the issue comes back (which I'm sure it will).

What I've been doing is when the issue comes up (upon starting the truck), I shut it back down and disconnect the negative terminal on the battery for a few seconds, then reconnect. What this does is it brings uConnect back to the start-up screen (where you have to press accept). This manages to remedy the issue for the time being, especially when I know I'm in for a long drive. And yes, it sucks carrying a 7mm socket/ratchet in the centre console for this exact purpose.

I'll post an update for the results.
I wish I could’ve had a better answer for you because I know how frustrated I was with that issue. For whatever reason mine has been fine since and supposedly that was what they did to remedy it. Hopefully you’ll luck out like I did.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Well that didn’t work at all, the issue literally came back after the first start LOL.

What I am noticing is that it’s happening more often when the weather is at or around freezing. When it was sub-freezing temperatures it didn’t happen as often, or at all. It actually only happened when my truck was facing the sun for some time, warming up the cabin.

Anyway, back to the waiting game FCA...

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Well that didn’t work at all, the issue literally came back after the first start LOL.

What I am noticing is that it’s happening more often when the weather is at or around freezing. When it was sub-freezing temperatures it didn’t happen as often, or at all. It actually only happened when my truck was facing the sun for some time, warming up the cabin.

Anyway, back to the waiting game FCA...
At this point they just need to replace the whole unit.

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
At this point they just need to replace the whole unit.

Wish that was the answer. Other members have replaced either the radio or amp, or even both, but the issue returned. Given that this is happening to RAMs and Jeep Wranglers, I think it’s a software issue.

DBailey

Reaction score
I had the same problem this morning. Car was iced over this morning - unusual for SoCal. Have had truck for a month. This is the first time had this problem. Finally turned it off on ride to work. Feared the commute home but radio worked fine. Tried FM, AM, XM and google car play same issue music stopped for a second or two then played for second or two this morning. Did notice when in FM it had a buffering comment then 1 2 3 4. Also interesting the replay played the stop and go as well. Hoping it was truly a buffering issue. Try to get it into the shop next week if possible. Just got the battery cable recall notice as well.

DBailey

Reaction score
Radio did the same thing this morning. Temps are in the 30's and low 40's. Tried warming the car for 15 minutes then turning it off and on again. Did not help. Noticed the radio seems to work when in ACC mode and not RUN. Drove truck to lunch and radio worked fine and again on the drive home it worked fine. Temps were in the low 60s. It should be noted I also started both days using the key fob. I can not confirm I got the Uconnect accept screen either day. Too new and not paying close enough attention to everything but will now. On a side note stopped at RAM dealer Tuttle Click in Tustin (not the one I bought the truck from) and they could not get their test reader to work. Stated they could not work on the truck since their was an aftermarket part on the vehicle. Appears the dealer I bought from, Huntington Beach Ram, had put on an after market part (Not sure what it is) I didn't want anything added but dealer puts items on their new cars as a means of marking up pricing before they put them on the lot. Having conversation with Dealer on Saturday and RAM eventually. Frustrated a RAM dealer sells me a NEW truck that another RAM dealer will not service - poor business practice and RAM needs to address with their dealers either service them or don't allow aftermarket parts be put on by the dealers.

HogNot

Reaction score
Sorry that I have not updated my post for sometime now... I am still having this problem and it is very frustrating to have such an expensive vehicle that won't even play music. I am TOTALLY disgusted with RAM and I am a longtime Mopar Fan! I've done the hard & soft resets plus it's been to the dealer 4 times and they've had it for weeks at a time with no success with repairing this issue. All RAM has been telling me now for over a month is that they are developing a software update that should remedy this problem yet they have no estimate when this update will come out. Probably shortly after the warranty expires! Maybe I'm just paranoid but I believe that there may be some dishonest dealings here also; one of the very basic requirements to obtain a resolution using New York State's Lemon Law is that the vehicle has had at least 4 failed attempts made by the dealer. When I picked up my RAM after the third attempt they didn't have a copy of the invoice for me. They said they were having a printer problems and would mail it, never received it. When getting the truck after the 4th attempt they gave me an invoice that combined the 3rd & 4th attempts which made it appear as 1 attempt, so I have no proof that 4 attempts have been made, just 3. So as it stands now the Lemon Law is not an option.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you c an go back and just ask them to produce separate invoices. Tell them you need them to account for your time out of work, etc.

I am also not a lemon law expert but think in NY it has to amount to over 30 days in the shop, over a short period of time (3 months) and/or 3 or more vists for a major mechanical issue. I don’t think a radio issue will qualify. I’m just going off of memory. I could be wrong. Def read up on it. Frustrating as heck though. Good luck

RAMBS

Reaction score
Good to see others are having this problem. Had to make a 4 hour drive this week with no radio or phone connection. Let the truck sit overnight and it is working now. I'm having the same intermittent off and on as described earlier in this thread.

Yedi

Reaction score
My truck started this yesterday for the first time. Owned since last October, has 6500 miles on it now. Never an issue all winter. Yesterday I got weird static sound from speakers, turned off, went away....almost sounded like the amp was fried. Still had sound just quieter, and full of static. Today there was no sound at all, any source. Let truck sit for 2 hours z and it works now. Not cool. Hope Ram figured this out

RRSBighorn

Reaction score
I've only had my truck for a few months (has ~3500 miles) and until this point, haven't had any issues. But a couple of days ago, my Alpine 9 speaker system started having issues. I thought it was cutting out on one station, but it happened on all stations, Am FM or XM. When I got home and investigated what was going on, it seems that the drivers side front quadrant speakers are not working (going in and out), I get sound from all of the other quadrants. Has anyone had this issue? Is it probably an amp problem because it's more than one speaker?

Diamondback

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sounds dangerous! Hope it has no effect on the alternator or any other circuits.

It sounds dangerous but it isn't -- there isn't any power since you disconnected the battery -- you touch the 2 leads (BLACK AND RED) together to discharge all capacitors inside the vehicle.

That's why I'm hesitant on trying it. Looking at the comments, it looks like its mainly older vehicles. I'm not sure if our trucks even apply to it.

I'm holding off until I hear what that hard reset can be...

The hard and soft resets are done with knobs inside the vehicle ..

RIC3BOY

Reaction score
Still no resolution on this. I’ve had this issue hit me twice in a row this morning, even when the truck sat for at least an hour in between starts to allow the uConnect startup sequence reset (splash screen appears with the “Accept” button).

At this point, I believe this is a rear camera issue based on the answers posted in the JL Wrangler forum (same issue as us).

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
It happened to me twice in the past. I found a solution that blew my mind. Worked every time for me, took 3 seconds and i didn't even need to leave the driver seat. when you can't hear anything, you need to press the center buttons(Radio control) on the back of the steering wheel (Buttons that switches between the channels and the sources) press each one of them a few times and i'm pretty positive it's gonna work for you too... next time it happens, try it and let me know.
P.s: I don't know why it helps with this problem but it does and since i found it, it doesn't bother my anymore.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've only had my truck for a few months (has ~3500 miles) and until this point, haven't had any issues. But a couple of days ago, my Alpine 9 speaker system started having issues. I thought it was cutting out on one station, but it happened on all stations, Am FM or XM. When I got home and investigated what was going on, it seems that the drivers side front quadrant speakers are not working (going in and out), I get sound from all of the other quadrants. Has anyone had this issue? Is it probably an amp problem because it's more than one speaker?
Did you ever figure out what the problem is with the drivers side speakers cutting out? I now have the same issue. Could it be the ANC module?

Users who are viewing this thread