5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soon to be 2020 Ecodiesel owner from Mass

CKSlack

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Newbie here from MASS... please don't hold it against me... I'm originally from Texas
:)

Ordered a new 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Limited and I've been researching issues that some have reported over the years. Hoping that 3rd time is the charm for Gen3 release. As soon as I take delivery I'll post my experiences and contribute where I can.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Newbie here from MASS... please don't hold it against me... I'm originally from Texas

Ordered a new 2020 Ram 1500 Ecodiesel Limited and I've been researching issues that some have reported over the years. Hoping that 3rd time is the charm for Gen3 release. As soon as I take delivery I'll post my experiences and contribute where I can.
Great! Id think the redesign would have addressed the first gen problems. Look forward to your mpg readings and the tq feel.
Did you buy this for mileage or towing?

CKSlack

Reaction score
Great! Id think the redesign would have addressed the first gen problems. Look forward to your mpg readings and the tq feel.
Did you buy this for mileage or towing?
I little bit of both.... I will be pulling a 16' Triton trailer up and down the east coast. I wanted a 2500 and my nephew has an 18 ED that I drove.... fell in love with the ride, comfort and can't wait to get my **** in it. I will be providing feedback once I get rolling.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I little bit of both.... I will be pulling a 16' Triton trailer up and down the east coast. I wanted a 2500 and my nephew has an 18 ED that I drove.... fell in love with the ride, comfort and can't wait to get my **** in it. I will be providing feedback once I get rolling.
sweet !

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Did you get it under the current "Big Finish 2019" employee pricing program? I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that even new orders will receive employee pricing as long as you take delivery by 01-02-2020.
BTW, whatever custom font color you are using, is almost unreadable if a person has their 5thgenrams preferences set to "dark mode". If you stick with plain old black font, the system correctly converts it to white lettering on the dark background. No biggie, make your posts as custom as you want, just wanted you to know that in dark mode it's nearly unreadable.
Congratulations and best of luck with the new 2020 Ecodiesel!

CKSlack

Reaction score
Did you get it under the current "Big Finish 2019" employee pricing program? I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that even new orders will receive employee pricing as long as you take delivery by 01-02-2020.
BTW, whatever custom font color you are using, is almost unreadable if a person has their 5thgenrams preferences set to "dark mode". If you stick with plain old black font, the system correctly converts it to white lettering on the dark background. No biggie, make your posts as custom as you want, just wanted you to know that in dark mode it's nearly unreadable.
Congratulations and best of luck with the new 2020 Ecodiesel!
Hi Go-Ram
I never changed any font colors... but I did for this post to see how it shows up.... Also got an update that I should be taking delivery early next week... Truck is in this state and at the rail yard right now.... Getting close.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Go-Ram
I never changed any font colors... but I did for this post to see how it shows up.... Also got an update that I should be taking delivery early next week... Truck is in this state and at the rail yard right now.... Getting close.
did you get a 4x4 what gears ?

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You can get the ED with 3.21 as well. Many dealers are incorrectly telling buyers this.
Sat with the dealer today building my truck on the actual Ram order-input screens, we could build a 2020 Ecodiesel with 3.55 gears.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi Go-Ram
Then you should be getting Employee Pricing ("EP"). The current offer "Big Finish 2019" gives buyers employee pricing as long as they take delivery by 01-02-2020. If your deal qualifies, it will possibly save you a few thousand dollars. On a Laramie Longhorn with a $73k MSRP, The "invoice price" (FWP or FFP) is around $67k, while employee pricing (EP) is $64k
Side note: Whereas in your earlier posts your font shows as dark gray lettering on a dark gray background (i.e. unreadable), this post of yours shows up as bright blue lettering on dark gray background. Try it yourself, you can toggle back and forth between light mode and dark mode easily. Where your login name appears in the horizontal bar above, go to the far right and click on the icon of a moon, that switches it to dark mode (it takes a few seconds to reload the webpage). To switch back to light mode, click on the light-bulb icon. After you switch your screen temporarily to dark mode, scroll up and look at your first post and see what it looks like to you in dark mode. Then switch it back to light mode (or leave in dark mode, if you prefer).

Wheeler

Reaction score
Hope you never had hemi or another V8 truck before. I switched from hemi to ecodiesel went back to Hemi less than a year.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hope you never had hemi or another V8 truck before. I switched from hemi to ecodiesel went back to Hemi less than a year.
I wouldn't buy a gas truck unless the fuel economy went way up with a new motor

CKSlack

Reaction score
I'm 6 days into the new truck and have a few likes/dislikes. Very minor and mostly personal. At this time very happy with the purchase and time will tell on the Gen3 motor.... only got about 150 miles on it so far, but averaging 24mpg and that's short highway and town riding and around Boston the highway riding is always stop and go. I will continue to post more as time goes on and look forward to others feedback as well.

The ride and interior can't be beat. This thing is VERY quiet on the highway and handles like a dream
technology is beyond what I could ever want and free wifi for 3 months or (I think 3 GB of data) is pretty cool
1 year of Sirius Guardian to control things like locking the truck, cranking the truck from anywhere you have wifi on the phone is cool.
Ability from the smart phone search for a location on a map and send it to the truck, so when you pop in the truck the Nav is prompting you to click ok to take you to your destination is another great feature.
Tailgate, love it.... easy access without having to reach over the bed... while I haven't had any issues reaching over beds for the past 40 years, it is certainly convenient to be able to swing the door open and no reach... :)
Moon roof is absolutely stunning and huge. and speaking of huge the back seat is very large and I could see myself riding back there on a cross country trip. Very comfy, roomy and heated and cooled seats... very nice.

Dislikes:
Trailer tow mirrors. This may be something I get used to but they are too big. When I ordered the truck I saw that it mentioned "Power Trailer-Tow Mirrors with Manual Fold-Away" I took that to be Power folding mirrors with fold out for trailer towing since the mirror fold up and out for wider view for trailer towing. This is my biggest pet peeve now and I've asked the dealership to price out replacing them with the standard power fold mirrors. While this is on me since I ordered them without researching totally, they are barely able to fit into my stock sized garage door opening. A friend of mines' son has already ripped this same type mirror off the passenger side of his 2018 ED Limited last week. I will be very careful, but if my wife or son jumped in and backed out of the garage... I could see that happening.
Rambox is warped on the passenger side and the regional manager wants to see and document it in person to open up a case with FCA. While its on the front of the passenger side of the rambox I'm hoping it doesn't catch water and leak. Hoping they take care of this asap.

Jako

Reaction score
I'm 6 days into the new truck and have a few likes/dislikes. Very minor and mostly personal. At this time very happy with the purchase and time will tell on the Gen3 motor.... only got about 150 miles on it so far, but averaging 24mpg and that's short highway and town riding and around Boston the highway riding is always stop and go. I will continue to post more as time goes on and look forward to others feedback as well.

The ride and interior can't be beat. This thing is VERY quiet on the highway and handles like a dream
technology is beyond what I could ever want and free wifi for 3 months or (I think 3 GB of data) is pretty cool
1 year of Sirius Guardian to control things like locking the truck, cranking the truck from anywhere you have wifi on the phone is cool.
Ability from the smart phone search for a location on a map and send it to the truck, so when you pop in the truck the Nav is prompting you to click ok to take you to your destination is another great feature.
Tailgate, love it.... easy access without having to reach over the bed... while I haven't had any issues reaching over beds for the past 40 years, it is certainly convenient to be able to swing the door open and no reach... :)
Moon roof is absolutely stunning and huge. and speaking of huge the back seat is very large and I could see myself riding back there on a cross country trip. Very comfy, roomy and heated and cooled seats... very nice.

Dislikes:
Trailer tow mirrors. This may be something I get used to but they are too big. When I ordered the truck I saw that it mentioned "Power Trailer-Tow Mirrors with Manual Fold-Away" I took that to be Power folding mirrors with fold out for trailer towing since the mirror fold up and out for wider view for trailer towing. This is my biggest pet peeve now and I've asked the dealership to price out replacing them with the standard power fold mirrors. While this is on me since I ordered them without researching totally, they are barely able to fit into my stock sized garage door opening. A friend of mines' son has already ripped this same type mirror off the passenger side of his 2018 ED Limited last week. I will be very careful, but if my wife or son jumped in and backed out of the garage... I could see that happening.
Rambox is warped on the passenger side and the regional manager wants to see and document it in person to open up a case with FCA. While its on the front of the passenger side of the rambox I'm hoping it doesn't catch water and leak. Hoping they take care of this asap.
Congrats
Tow mirrors were/are an issue for many along with the rambox based on the forum.
I am wondering how your salesman was when ordering. Did he inform you about the mirrors? How much "researching totally" is on the buyer? Thanks to this forum I felt more informed than my salesman.
The trailer tow package created a lot of unsatisfied owners with the mirrors and it seems to me at this point it should be pointed out to "builders" by the sales people. I don't think it would effect the "sale" but make a more satisfied customer.
Best wishes with your new ride.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
During my time with my salesperson going through the dealer's ordering pages on their computer this month (Dec, 2019), looking at the various configurations I was interested in for my 5th-gen 1500, the ordering system ALWAYS popped up a separate window informing that (A) the trailer-tow mirrors are NOT power-folding, and (B) that the surround-view capability goes away.
It is an unfortunate thing that 95% of humans operating computers willfully ignore pop-up windows, or at the very least skim them so fast and dismiss them so quickly that they fail to absorb the message. If a person's truck salesperson ignores the popups and doesn't inform their customer of the tradeoff, then shame on that salesperson and that dealership. At the same time, the customer/buyer who is about to spend $40k-70k for their truck, should be being diligent and watching the salesperson like a hawk. Caveat Emptor, plain and simple.
Although IMO Ram is being less-than-smart by not including power-fold and surround-view with the trailer-tow mirrors, in fairness, a responsible, thinking person can't fault Ram when Ram's system very clearly throws up all the warnings anyone should need to understand the tradeoffs. You might have a beef with the salesperson, or with yourself, but in my experience ordering a 2020 1500 DT, Ram very clearly and prominently spelled out the tradeoffs at every step of the build & order process.

CKSlack

Reaction score
During my time with my salesperson going through the dealer's ordering pages on their computer this month (Dec, 2019), looking at the various configurations I was interested in for my 5th-gen 1500, the ordering system ALWAYS popped up a separate window informing that (A) the trailer-tow mirrors are NOT power-folding, and (B) that the surround-view capability goes away.
It is an unfortunate thing that 95% of humans operating computers willfully ignore pop-up windows, or at the very least skim them so fast and dismiss them so quickly that they fail to absorb the message. If a person's truck salesperson ignores the popups and doesn't inform their customer of the tradeoff, then shame on that salesperson and that dealership. At the same time, the customer/buyer who is about to spend $40k-70k for their truck, should be being diligent and watching the salesperson like a hawk. Caveat Emptor, plain and simple.
Although IMO Ram is being less-than-smart by not including power-fold and surround-view with the trailer-tow mirrors, in fairness, a responsible, thinking person can't fault Ram when Ram's system very clearly throws up all the warnings anyone should need to understand the tradeoffs. You might have a beef with the salesperson, or with yourself, but in my experience ordering a 2020 1500 DT, Ram very clearly and prominently spelled out the tradeoffs at every step of the build & order process.
Hi Go Ram.... Yeah it was mostly on me about the tow mirrors.... I pretty much put the truck together online and sent the codes to the dealership... That was the one thing I did not research enough... but not a biggie... we are pricing up a swap and if its too crazy of a number I'll have to teach my wife out to get out and fold in the mirrors... :)

That is the only creature comfort item I wished was different/improved on. Absolutely love the ride and interior of the new truck.

Jako

Reaction score
Can't be sure 100% but I believe when I "built" mine in Sept/Oct 2018 it was not so clear on the Ram build and it was from the forum I learned to avoid the tow package because of the mirrors. Living in the NY/NJ metro area there are plenty of Ram dealerships and sales people. I was in a total of 9 dealerships as I continually advanced to ordering. I can't recall any "sales person" that impressed me and most I did not want to deal with their BS. In the process a few where here today gone tomorrow. It was the "sales manger" who got to the bottom line, made the offer and let me "sleep on it" to seal the deal. He had been in the business for I believe 20+ years and did the ordering for the dealership.

To complicate matters sales brochures were not available in any dealership and the e brochure is 40 packages long and requires scrolling up/down and left/right to figure the available packages and differences from trim levels. I actually requested a brochure from Ram via USPS and received an abbreviated version. However that request led to an additional $500 coupon.

Love the truck, got what I wanted through a lot of work on my own. Sales process leaves a lot to be desired.

Attachments

• 2019 Ram eBrochure-Ram-DT-Catalog-2019.pdf
    3.3 MB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread