5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Real World MPG Numbers

Runagun

Reaction score
It's a mixed bag having a too good filter vs not enough. The biggest issue is if the filter isn't filtering well. The combustion process will be dirtier and making your oil even more contaminated.

CogitoErgoLevo

Reaction score
I added AEM filter and removed carbon filter last week.
The carbon filter was super easy to remove, I used flat screwdriver and popped the 6 plastic rivets and done.

The goal was to reduce pumping losses and potentially improve mpg by 0.5-1. We will see if that happens.
I so far noticed that ECO light comes on earlier and for longer than before but it is too soon to be sure.

aimlowrobin

Reaction score
My "real world" numbers based off of 6 RAMS driven about 800k (ish) miles and a 7th RAM with just 1k.

I have never seen a single truck hit 18 mpg for any triple digit miles, even if I tried really hard to make it happen. The miles I have put on etorque motors have shown a touch worse mpg than the nonetorque.

I always land right around 14.5-15 mpg average combined while lifted and 35s. Right around 16.5-17 before or without mods.

Doesn't seem to matter if I tow an empty light atv trailer or a heavy load, mileage drops down to 9-11.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Decided to delete the charcoal filter yesterday. Power is the same, maybe a slight mpg increase. Seems like mds comes on more often.

1D32319

Reaction score
This is average per the computer as of today. It is within 0.4 MPG of hand calculated mileage at each fillup. After the next tank, I'm probably going to quit hand calculating and call the computer damn close enough.

Still bone stock as far as fluids and running gear. Mix of hilly 45 mph roads, some interstate highway(uphill going north, downhill going south), and increasing traffic from the summer people. 299 miles of it was towing between ~1300-5000 pounds.

I'm getting better mileage with this thing than I was with my lightly modified 08 6 cylinder Tacoma.

Towards the end of the summer, I'll be putting on slightly larger and heavier tires that are compatible with the winter so it will go down.

IMG_0221.jpg

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
This is average per the computer as of today. It is within 0.4 MPG of hand calculated mileage at each fillup. After the next tank, I'm probably going to quit hand calculating and call the computer damn close enough.

Still bone stock as far as fluids and running gear. Mix of hilly 45 mph roads, some interstate highway(uphill going north, downhill going south), and increasing traffic from the summer people. 299 miles of it was towing between ~1300-5000 pounds.

I'm getting better mileage with this thing than I was with my lightly modified 08 6 cylinder Tacoma.

Towards the end of the summer, I'll be putting on slightly larger and heavier tires that are compatible with the winter so it will go down.
I wish I was closer to 18. This is mine with 60% hwy / 40% city. I don’t drive it hard, I guess the Limited is a heavy truck.
AAC8C994-ACD3-4EB6-A45C-B10341B0C81A.jpeg

Last edited:

SSW

Reaction score
Last week I drove a 210 mile round trip through Reno NV to Truckee CA to Lake Tahoe , around the west side of the lake to Carson City then back home. Started with a full tank and then refilled. 10.2 gallons. I realize that most of this was highway but at least 20 miles was in town , stop and go driving. Mileage was less than my previous ECO Diesel but I'm pleased with the performance of my 2021 Laramie, 5.7 hemi.

2wd

Reaction score
Boss Mode MPG's. I'll take it for an old school pushrod V8. I really love the Toyota Tundra which is a truck I almost bought instead of the Ram. It's funny getting more highway range with my 26 gallon tank than a tundra with a 38 gallon.

image1.jpeg
IMG_1045.jpg

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Just took a 250 mile mostly Interstate trip yesterday. Had to pull over and idle for an hour because of heavy rain, then another 1.5 hours of bumper to bumper traffic for wrecks. Still managed 18.4 mpg. I was well on my way to getting 21 to 22 mpg doing 80 most of the time.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New to this but I reset my trip B when I filled up. This has been my current MPG on this truck and this includes a 30 min idle with my little girl chilling in it while I loaded up feed.

Attachments

• 284627F0-001F-483D-B854-F1A92275F2FD.jpeg
    284627F0-001F-483D-B854-F1A92275F2FD.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 41

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Last week I drove a 210 mile round trip through Reno NV to Truckee CA to Lake Tahoe , around the west side of the lake to Carson City then back home. Started with a full tank and then refilled. 10.2 gallons. I realize that most of this was highway but at least 20 miles was in town , stop and go driving. Mileage was less than my previous ECO Diesel but I'm pleased with the performance of my 2021 Laramie, 5.7 hemi.
I had to breakout my calculator to figure out what you were getting. 20.58, damn good at that elevation and climbing up I80 to Truckee.

Amerinamese

Reaction score
My current tank of gas. Running 87 octane.
eaaa9fe4ae13100755fc632975e1149c.jpg

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

kenthelawnguy

Reaction score
on a trip I got 546 miles out of a tank of gas and after doing the math I got 18.1 mpg. I have a 2021 limited 3.21 with e-torque . I did around 85-90 percent highway driving and average speed was 70 mph. I hit a lot of hills going through Kentucky and Tennessee on the way to Mississippi.

JimD007

Reaction score
I drive a 2019 Ram 1500 classic crew cab with the short box, V6, and 3.21 gears. It is 2 WD. A Tradesman. Basic truck. I've only driven it a little over 12,000 miles and the mileage has gone up from about 20 mpg to a cumulative mpg of 23.3 mpg at the moment. I keep a notebook in each of my vehicles and write down the odometer reading, gallons, and cost (and date) each time I fill up. So my mpg is from my resulting spreadsheet. I haul things sometimes but have not yet towed anything with my truck. Individual tanks have indicated over 25 mpg but I don't put too much weight in that, different pumps shut off at different times. Sometimes I look at the average of the last 3 tanks to try and average this out. But the cumulative mpg (total mines divided by total gallons) seems the most significant to me. Mine went up initially but seems to have plateaued. I've made two trips of a thousand miles each way but the rest of the miles have been relatively short trips of a hundred miles or less.

Users who are viewing this thread