5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some Real World MPG Numbers

flyfingers

Reaction score
Once a week I make a 360 mile round trip from Central Ca to So Cal via Interstate 5 which encompasses the Grapevine; 40 mile stretch entailing a 5 mile section of 6% grade and 35 miles of hills / valleys. Overall it's a 70 mph journey and I've been getting 20.1 - 20.3 mpg according to the computer with wind speed explaining the delta.
This is in a 100% stock '21 crew 4x with 3.21's and the stock Goodyear tires and I run the cheapest liquor store 87 octane fuel I can find. I'm pleased with the mileage but should've got the Granite for a couple more mpg's ...

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Here is my 8000 mile lifetime mpg: View attachment 97123

My Limited is stock with tires inflated at 40PSI instead of recommended 36 (truck feels less sluggish this way)
AEM highflow airfilter with carbon filter delete (i don't know how much of a difference in mpg that makes, if any)
Who said that 3.92s cannot get decent fuel economy?
If I had to guess what helps mpg get this high... I would say, it's the granite crystal metallic paint :unsure:
That’s amazing there! Mine is starting to go down but that’s because I’m realizing how fun this Hemi is! 😅

LakesAZ

Reaction score
On my second tank of fuel, getting low to mid 19s, probably 60% highway, 40% city driving. Very impressed so far for a 5000lb 4x4 truck with 400hp.
Mine weighs 5720 lbs with 3/4 of a tank of gas and the driver.

2 Pulled Hammys

Reaction score
My daily commute is short with stoplight to stoplight driving so my MPG numbers aren't typically great, but when I do get out of town onto the country roads it does a lot better. 14-16 City and 16-18 mixed City and rural/highway roughly. Took our first big trip in the truck last week from Northwest VA to the OBX and Corolla, NC. I was looking forward to seeing how it would do on this trip because of the flat terrain and the mostly rural roads we travel on our route.

Filled up with non-ethanol 89 Octane before leaving. Approximately 2.5 hours of highway at mostly 77mph, and another 2.5 hours of rural 45-65mph driving before we hit the stop and go traffic to cross the bridge into OBX. I snapped a pic when we first hit traffic and it was sitting at 21.7 MPG on the computer. The last 37 miles took just under 3 hours in gridlock traffic. I think the eTorque really helped here, as when we got to Corolla it was still sitting at 20.0 MPG for the drive down. Hand calculation showed computer to be off .9 MPG this trip, and it's usually between .5-1 MPG off when I hand calculate.

YMMV, but overall I'm tickled silly to be able to get 20+ MPG on a trip like this with a full size truck, V8, crew cab, 4x4, and the 3.92 gears.

IMG-3301.jpg IMG-3302.jpg

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My daily commute is short with stoplight to stoplight driving so my MPG numbers aren't typically great, but when I do get out of town onto the country roads it does a lot better. 14-16 City and 16-18 mixed City and rural/highway roughly. Took our first big trip in the truck last week from Northwest VA to the OBX and Corolla, NC. I was looking forward to seeing how it would do on this trip because of the flat terrain and the mostly rural roads we travel on our route.

Filled up with non-ethanol 89 Octane before leaving. Approximately 2.5 hours of highway at mostly 77mph, and another 2.5 hours of rural 45-65mph driving before we hit the stop and go traffic to cross the bridge into OBX. I snapped a pic when we first hit traffic and it was sitting at 21.7 MPG on the computer. The last 37 miles took just under 3 hours in gridlock traffic. I think the eTorque really helped here, as when we got to Corolla it was still sitting at 20.0 MPG for the drive down. Hand calculation showed computer to be off .9 MPG this trip, and it's usually between .5-1 MPG off when I hand calculate.

YMMV, but overall I'm tickled silly to be able to get 20+ MPG on a trip like this with a full size truck, V8, crew cab, 4x4, and the 3.92 gears.

View attachment 100314 View attachment 100315
Awesome! I think gas octane helps out a lot on these trucks. I've noticed it is easier to get 19-20 mpg's when I run 89 or 93 then when I'm running 87. Has anyone else tested this out?

I pumped 93 octane from Costco which I know it's not needed and some say it's a waste of money, but they don't have 89 and the cost of 93 there is the same as 93 everywhere else and I noticed that I was getting 19-21mpg much easier then the previous 87 I had in it. I'm going to try running 93 from Costco from now on and see if my average starts to increase.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Awesome! I think gas octane helps out a lot on these trucks. I've noticed it is easier to get 19-20 mpg's when I run 89 or 93 then when I'm running 87. Has anyone else tested this out?

I pumped 93 octane from Costco which I know it's not needed and some say it's a waste of money, but they don't have 89 and the cost of 93 there is the same as 93 everywhere else and I noticed that I was getting 19-21mpg much easier then the previous 87 I had in it. I'm going to try running 93 from Costco from now on and see if my average starts to increase.

I noticed this on my previous Gen truck, I got better fuel mileage using 89 than 87.
I have only used 93 in this truck primarily because I want top tier fuel and buy fuel at Costco; they only have 2 choices, 87 and 93 and usually the 93 is the same price as 89 everywhere else

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I noticed this on my previous Gen truck, I got better fuel mileage using 89 than 87.
I have only used 93 in this truck primarily because I want top tier fuel and buy fuel at Costco; they only have 2 choices, 87 and 93 and usually the 93 is the same price as 89 everywhere else
Yeah I'm going to stick with 93 from Costco or 89 from now on. It feels much better and the price difference isn't substantial.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
2 Pulled Hammys - That is excellent mileage and it proves to those that insist that they can only get 12 MPG, that it is possible. I don't have a 4x4 and I get about the same mileage as you do.

Mister 4x4

Reaction score
I just picked up my 2021 on 2 Jul, and it was showing about 17mpg on the ecometer. Yeah... well... that's all about to change. After returning back to San Angelo (280 miles from the dealership), I topped off the tank and braced for the impact of real driving.

So... 2.5 weeks of 'normal' driving around town, and I'm sitting at 13.5-ish. I have a 9-10 mile commute (one-way), which is primarily highway driving with super-light traffic, and I run out for lunch every day - so roughly 26-28 miles per day of driving. This was about normal for my 2012 Lonestar 5.7 RWD, so I figure I'm doing OK.

I have the eTorque 5.7, 4x4, Crew Cab, 3.92, 22", bed cover, and about a middle-of-the-road driving style (meaning that I'm not afraid to use the Go Pedal, but usually don't feel the need to). I have the automatic engine shut-off feature turned off (ironic, I know...), I run the A/C all the time, and I bought a 4x4 rather than a 4x2, because I really don't care what kind of fuel mileage I get. I need to get from Point A to Point B, and it's going to burn gas no matter what I'm driving. I have an old Jeep CJ-7 that gets something like 8mpg (if I'm lucky), my '71 Mach 1 gets around 16mpg (AOD & EFI), and my wife's 2015 Camaro only has ~31K miles on it, so it probably loses more fuel thru evaporation than it actually uses since she never goes anywhere.

I've owned 39mpg econo-boxes before, and actually enjoyed driving them like I stole 'em while the fuel prices were ridiculously high and out of control back in the 2000s-2010s (and it looks like we're on a track for that to happen again). But that was then and I'm in a better place now. So basically, I simply don't care what fuel mileage I get, not because I hate the environment or anything like that... quite the opposite (I have 4 cars, and only drive one at a time... that's 3 other cars that are not on the road burning fuel while I'm driving the other). But, if I were truly concerned what kind of fuel mileage I was getting, as if it really mattered, I wouldn't have bought a full-size 4x4 pick-up in the first place.

Gipraw

Reaction score
I run 89 octane. Just finished a trip to Oklahoma and back, about 1k total miles. Cruise set on 84 the whole time, averaged 18.9 mpg. Getting about 14.5 around town with no highway driving.

Whoa_Ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run 89 octane. Just finished a trip to Oklahoma and back, about 1k total miles. Cruise set on 84 the whole time, averaged 18.9 mpg. Getting about 14.5 around town with no highway driving.
That’s pretty darn good. My last trip to Tulsa I averaged around 19.2 going anywhere from 70-88mph.
What gears do you have?

Zig10

Reaction score
I think I reached my all-time best so far on some weekly jaunts to my New England projects recently. It's just about 650 miles round trip, but that includes I-95 and the neverending traffic snarls around NYC and lower CT, and I have been averaging around 18.5 MPG on the dash, 18.2 ish hand calc. It has definitely gotten better as the weather has warmed up.

jmcdtucson

Reaction score
Eco-diesel 4x4 Limited with 3.92. Falken Wildpeak in 275-60-20
22 mpg in town.
I get up to 28 on the highway. But going over 70 mph brings that down to 25 because the 3.92 gearing (I believe).
A/C running all the time although it shouldn't make any noticeable difference with this big engine.
Love the 750 mile range on a single tank of gas :)

Gipraw

Reaction score
That’s pretty darn good. My last trip to Tulsa I averaged around 19.2 going anywhere from 70-88mph.
What gears do you have?

3.21 gears. Would have been over 19, but too much time spent crawling through the construction @ 5 mph

swing4terps

Reaction score
Just took a 320 mile round trip from Baltimore to PA. About 600’ in elevation change; lots of hills and valleys. 19.4mpg per the truck’s calc. Was a little underwhelmed honestly. I was intent on maximizing fuel economy for most of the drive.

My BTS effectively has ORG, as well as 26 gal tank, 5.7 w/eTorque, and 3.92 gears.

Users who are viewing this thread