5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soaking wet cabin filter

smashweights

Reaction score
Had a huge rainstorm the last two days and this morning I get in to drive and nothing is coming out the cabin air vents no matter what I set them to and all the manual vent settings were wide open. I could hear the fan running. I popped the glove box and pulled the cabin air filter and it's soaked with water. Turned the AC back on without the filter in and it blows at full strength so clearly the filter was blocking airflow. I have never had this in a vehicle before. What should I be looking to fix here? Doesn't seem like this should happen...

smashweights

Reaction score
AC condensate drain is dripping and I put a bottle brush up it without and issue or junk. How does water in the area in front of the windshield drain? Could it have come in from the external air intake somehow?

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Any debris or leaves around the cowl? Could also be that the recirculation door is stuck open, I believe the default position is closed

smashweights

Reaction score
Any debris or leaves around the cowl? Could also be that the recirculation door is stuck open, I believe the default position is closed
Pardon my ignorance, but what cowl? You referring to the plastic grid between the hood and windshield? We have lots of oak and cedar around us so it's always a mess I clean out periodically. Here's a few screen captures from using my phone to get a view inside. Looks like water spots below where the filter is and the bottom of the filter was the wetter portion.

Attachments

• PXL_20220527_220701129_exported_19458.jpg
    PXL_20220527_220701129_exported_19458.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 145
  • PXL_20220527_220701129_exported_14036.jpg
    PXL_20220527_220701129_exported_14036.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 142

smashweights

Reaction score
Now that I think about it, Thursday after the storm I recall hearing an odd sloshing sound from the front passenger side area that I thought was due to the puddles around but sounded different than water hitting the wheel well covers...

smashweights

Reaction score
So this happened again. Big storm this morning. As I pulled out of the driveway I heard an odd sloshing from the front passenger area just after pulling out. Backed up. Pulled the air filter and wet again. Left the AC off for a minute or two into the drive then started it back up. No more splashing sound. There has to be something causing the AC intake to allow water from outside to get sucked into the filter. I'm pretty sure I had recirc on too. Is there a drain on the outside for the windshield base that might be clogged and letting water pool?

Yet another minor problem with this truck...

HemiDude

Reaction score
First time I have heard of this problem. Not aware of any external drains for the cowl area, I will try to remember to look at mine after work and see if it gives me any ideas

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
usually issues like this are caused by debris that block the water drains in the engine bay. you even said before, "lots of oak and cedar around us so it's always a mess I clean out periodically". Do you have the same material backed up in the engine bay area? Look around the engine bay around the lower windshield cowling area, there are usually water drains in this area where water drains out from the top of the cowl area. see if it is blocked with debris which can cause water to rise and backfeed into the vehicle.

Sascwatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had noticed that the cabin filter in my 2020 was multi coloured from car wash soap before, so now I make it a habit to put the hvac controls into recirculate before the truck is washed.

The hvac system intakes air just under the hood where it meets the windshield cowling, I couldn’t find any debris blocking the drains in that area so I just assumed it wasn’t able to keep up allowing water to spill over the top into the hvac system. Maybe there is drain holes inside the intake aswell that can clog.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So this happened again. Big storm this morning. As I pulled out of the driveway I heard an odd sloshing from the front passenger area just after pulling out. Backed up. Pulled the air filter and wet again. Left the AC off for a minute or two into the drive then started it back up. No more splashing sound. There has to be something causing the AC intake to allow water from outside to get sucked into the filter. I'm pretty sure I had recirc on too. Is there a drain on the outside for the windshield base that might be clogged and letting water pool?

Yet another minor problem with this truck...
Woah. Never experienced that one! Let us know if you find the culprit (e.g. blocked drain hole).

HemiDude

Reaction score
I don't see anything on my cowl trim that would keep water in there. The plastic trim has some clips holding it in place, but it doesn't appear tight enough to keep water in by itself.

I would suggest removing that cowl trim and cleaning that entire area, and blow it out with an airhose. If you find any debris or fine particulates under that trim, I would cut some mesh or screen material (with holes smaller than the cowl trim) and attach it to the under side of the cowl trim. Then be sure to keep the cowl trim cleaned off regularly, as it will collect more buildup than the stock setup.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hey there,

We see that you have received some great advice from your fellow forum members! However, if these suggestions do not address your concern and you decide to visit your dealer, our team would be happy to offer additional assistance throughout that process! We're available via private message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Glock10mm

Reaction score
Sounds like time for a trip to the dealer, I've always wondered if I should switch over to recirc when I drive through the car wash, I go through twice a week with the A/C blasting, with the A/C on the air doesn't stink, but If I run with it off the air blowing stinks like dirty feet. I've replaced my cabin air filter twice and it was dirty but definitely not wet.

smashweights

Reaction score
So looking at the layout, I'm wondering if these tiny holes are all that let's the water drain from the cowl? There was some debris in them and I wonder if water pools here then as I start to drive sloshes over into the cabin intake, which is just below here.

Attachments

• PXL_20220714_231812456.jpg
    PXL_20220714_231812456.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 119

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So looking at the layout, I'm wondering if these tiny holes are all that let's the water drain from the cowl? There was some debris in them and I wonder if water pools here then as I start to drive sloshes over into the cabin intake, which is just below here.
Those will let it drain down below the wiper cowl, but underneath that plastic panel might be more debris not allowing water to drain to ground.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
That sux big time! Please keep us posted on the outcome.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I think mine got wet when I was washing my truck off from the mud bog I did because whenever I turned to air on for the next few days it smelled like the mud I was washing off the truck. Never pulled it out to look at it though

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Those holes are drains. If you have an air compressor try using compressed air to blow through the holes and clear out the drain. You mentioned that you do periodically have to clean debris from the cowl and it wouldn't take much to clog those holes

2019REBEL

Reaction score
I clean those holes out with a high tech device aka a toothpick ;)

Users who are viewing this thread