5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So tired of overthinking my 1st world problem of air suspension or not!

Bhbdvm

Reaction score
Currently I have a Longhorn on order with the box checked for 4 corner air suspension and also the off road package. I keep wondering how much I need it and how it will affect the "potential" of adding a leveling kit or small lift. I'm 52 and do not have a history of lifting or leveling my trucks but I have often thought about but never gone through with it. With air suspension essentially you lose the ability to lift or level and maintain the full range of the suspension. However, as you know, the suspension has the advantage of load leveling whether if weight is in the bed or a heavy trailer. I currently have an Airstream that I pull but not near as often as i'd like. But I use a weight distribution/anti-sway hitch for that so it's not like I would depend on the air suspension to a large degree in that circumstance. Overall use of my truck is a daily driver ocassional home projects, camping, carrying mountain/road bikes, large breed dog, etc. I don't haul stone or sod or mulch all the time in the bed. I think the air suspension has value but not sure how much for me other than ride (coils springs are nice anyway) and occassional assistance with load. My reason for not wanting the air suspension is because of a pipe dream in my head that I may want to level or put like a 3 inch lift in the future, mainly because of the looks with a bolder stance. I looked up 3 year old Rams on the used car market and air suspension adds ~$900 in value at trade in (of course costs me $1,600 now). Call me stupid or indecisive or whatever but I am tired of overthinking this first world problem. Truth is, i'm certain i'd be happy with either choice. Any input is appreciated or things I have not considered.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
After a couple of years, air ride turns into a liability, not a luxury. It's far more problematic than a standard coil suspension and can end up just being an added cost to remove in the future should you want to reconfigure your trucks suspension.

I'm biased due to a previous experience with air ride trucks, and will never own one again.

If you want load level and also the ability to mod... do what @jamesfg did, add airbag assist.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On the other hand, if you plan to keep a long time Ram has the lifetime warranty that is darn reasonable given the tech on these rigs. And you can always buy it later.
I love the air suspension on my Limited and it's one of the key reasons I bought Ram. I'm the same age as you and don't plan to put a lift on it - I can just flip the toggle and I'm as lifted as I need to be. Are there other trucks in Texas looking down on me? Of course, but I'm not playing that game.
You can level the air suspension by using custom links on the sensors.

The air suspension is key for me because I can drive around nice and high enough to see everything but I can also drop to fit in the garage at the airport and when loading up bags of mulch.
The one thing I've not had the pleasure of doing yet is backing up to a trailer lowered and raising the truck to hitch up. Just thinking about that makes me smile!

At the end of the day you can't go wrong either way. Longhorn has all kinds of awesome tech that is useful and makes driving safer/more enjoyable but will fail someday. Air suspension is just another one.

syddog 2000

Reaction score
I have used my truck to haul stone and mulch etc. I can say I am a believer in the air suspension. I would haul the same in my 2015 with coils and it would squart with 4-500 lbs. in the rear as well as giving a poor ride while doing it. With the air it levelsnitself and the ride quality remains excellent. To me this feature rates as one of the best.

LossPrev

Reaction score
I was going to justify the air suspension for the load leveling but then realized I need to use weight distribution/sway control so is there really much of a benefit with a travel trailer like your Airstream?

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was going to justify the air suspension for the load leveling but then realized I need to use weight distribution/sway control so is there really much of a benefit with a travel trailer like your Airstream?

I would think so, but it may take more time to tweak everything. With coil suspension, the WD hitch is just moving weight to the front of the tow vehicle but with air suspension, it is also leveling front/rear. I've not towed with air suspension but as long as you are not over weight it should give extra capability.

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I drove Rams with and without air ride and for me it was a must have mostly because of the comfort factor. Very subjective but I enjoyed the air ride much more. I don't tow or haul stuff but my truck is my daily driver on my 80 mile daily round trip so comfort is important. I'm a bit annoyed there is no "kit" to level the air ride but I've done my share of lifting trucks and there are always consequences to going that route where you have to constantly pay attention to other parts in the truck that could potentially fail because of the lift. I also got the Mopar lifetime maximum care warranty for piece of mind. I've been very happy with the air ride and even went completely airborne in my truck by accident and the air ride has been just fine.

You can't go wrong either way.

Yedi

Reaction score
The air suspension is the best option you can add and a reason I have stayed with Ram. Get it you won't regret it. I have had 1 Ram without it and it rode very nice, the air suspension is the next level of ride quality.

totally agree. the ride is amazing, and leveling for towing is a no brainer. I put all my worries aside when I got the extended 150,000 mile warranty with zero deductible from my dealer. every piece of the air system is covered..

Accountant

Ram Guru
Reaction score
And if you get the off road package you will be 1” higher than stock so that’s a good option.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I've driven both, and I thought the non air suspension rode better. If you plan on keeping it for 5+ years it will save you tons of money in repairs (compressors, air struts, tanks, lines, sensors, and the list goes on). My mom has a 2018 with air suspension and the novelty of lifting it up and down wears off pretty quick.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Lots of good responses on this subject. Basically comes down to what is most important to you. Pros and cons to both. Personally, I knew I would lift mine so I did not want the air. I will install in coil air bags on the rear for hauling and towing to keep it level. Just my opinion of course. Congrats on the Long Horn order also, you will love it. I thought hard about the Limited but went with the Long Horn for the fact of the air suspension being standard on the Limited and I wanted two tone paint. Best of luck!

warvet

Reaction score
Built and ordered my longhorn with everything the Limited has except air.............after test driving both air/non air for a day each.

I don't think anyone can decide for you because no matter what anyone tells me, air was not needed when the coils are so spectacular. I think both camps are going to be, pretty much, "for" their own decisions based on their needs.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Built and ordered my longhorn with everything the Limited has except air.............after test driving both air/non air for a day each.

I don't think anyone can decide for you because no matter what anyone tells me, air was not needed when the coils are so spectacular. I think both camps are going to be, pretty much, "for" their own decisions based on their needs.
Well said, I did the same!

warvet

Reaction score
I thought hard about the Limited but went with the Long Horn for the fact of the air suspension being standard on the Limited and I wanted two tone paint. Best of luck!

Very similar reasons/choices we made in ordering our Longhorns. I just had to have Black/New Saddle interior and that 'real' wood--------man, the interior is what makes ppl go ....'D$#$$" and I've had black interior in my last 3 black trucks and the limited I test drove had black interior....the other limited interior choices, I didn't like.

I played with the air suspension in my garage for a few hours and I just kept asking myself .............do I really need this? And as I heard it going up and down, I pictured my Harley riding buddy who had his air suspension go out when we were riding back from Key West Florida to Miami at 3am in the morning. He had a compressor go out and an air line leak and it kept us in Miami an extra day before we could head back home to NC (we enjoyed that extra day though--lol)

And I couldn't get over that feeling when the truck dropped into aero mode.

But if I towed or hauled alot, I probably would have gotten it. I'm sure guys are very happy with their air suspensions and they come in handy

billyraff

Reaction score
I passed on air suspension, and love every second of driving my laramie. Everyone can't figure out how a truck is so smooth

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Very similar reasons/choices we made in ordering our Longhorns. I just had to have Black/New Saddle interior and that 'real' wood--------man, the interior is what makes ppl go ....'D$#$$" and I've had black interior in my last 3 black trucks and the limited I test drove had black interior....the other limited interior choices, I didn't like.

I played with the air suspension in my garage for a few hours and I just kept asking myself .............do I really need this? And as I heard it going up and down, I pictured my Harley riding buddy who had his air suspension go out when we were riding back from Key West Florida to Miami at 3am in the morning. He had a compressor go out and an air line leak and it kept us in Miami an extra day before we could head back home to NC (we enjoyed that extra day though--lol)

And I couldn't get over that feeling when the truck dropped into aero mode.

But if I towed or hauled alot, I probably would have gotten it. I'm sure guys are very happy with their air suspensions and they come in handy
Seems our thinking was absolutely the same concerning the Long Horn. I too have had a few black trucks with black interiors including my most recent. I do like the Black in the Limited but when I ordered the dealership had a Long Horn on the showroom floor with the black new-saddle. I have never been a fan of the two tone interiors but after seeing this I had to have it. Like you, the interior detail and the wood I thought was top notch like no other vehicle I have seen.

Hammer1

Reaction score
Air suspension is not a new technology, it's been around for a long time and it's on the finest automobiles made. If you didn't order it you still get a great riding truck, but ask yourself why Benz, Porsche, Land Rover and many other fine vehicles opt for air suspension? I'll tell you why it's better. If you want to compare drive one of each over railroad tracks and it will speak volumes to you.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm replacing my Mercedes GL 450 with air suspension with a Limited with air suspension. It can add another level of refinement to an already great truck.

Users who are viewing this thread