5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So I called FCA about Harman Kardon system.

Medic604

Reaction score
Just got back from the 3rd dealer for the Low Bass problem. The dealership actually took me out and let me talk to the Tech. He noticed the problem, he flashed the amp (TSB 08-123-18) as i sat there and talked to him. After the flash still Low Bass, he checked for other updated and he found one that he said needed to be downloaded to an USB the uploaded to the truck, I'm going back to have that done. As I waited for the paperwork and the truck to be pulled around I asked if i could listen to a Limited that was on the lot. I got the key and this one sounded alot better. I checked the software version, bootmico version and eq version where all newer. I showed the Tech and he said he hopes the download will update to the new version.
Photo is from the dealers Truck.

Attachments

• 20190502_100937.jpg
    20190502_100937.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 165

zx3junglist

Reaction score
So, picked up my truck yesterday after they did the 08-123-18, and it was night and day better. At high levels it feels like it's working hard, pushing sound out. I'm thrilled. This is what it was meant to sound like. I can't believe how bad it was before, just anemic and from 27 all the way to max it sounded the same.

John

Reaction score
I'm glad they listened to the customer and were able AND WILLING to fix it!

John

redmondson

Reaction score
I just had this update done this morning. I had to advise them of the TSB (08-123-18). Update is for production date 08/28/18 and before. OMG. Night and day difference!! Now it truly does sound like a 19 speaker system. Way better than my 2014 Titan’s Rockford Fosgate factory system!

AresSK

Reaction score
Do these types of bulletins get updated by the dealer automatically when you take your truck in for other issues or are these only installed upon request?

Thanks.

Kidder

Reaction score
I just had this update done this morning. I had to advise them of the TSB (08-123-18). Update is for production date 08/28/18 and before. OMG. Night and day difference!! Now it truly does sound like a 19 speaker system. Way better than my 2014 Titan’s Rockford Fosgate factory system!
Guess I'm going to need to go to the dealer and listen to one to ensure I will like the overwhelming bass. My build was before August.

zx3junglist

Reaction score
Do these types of bulletins get updated by the dealer automatically when you take your truck in for other issues or are these only installed upon request?

Thanks.

Not only did I need to request it, they acted like they had no knowledge of the TSB (perhaps they didn't) and were more interested in convincing me that it was fine than they were trying to locate the TSB. Decided to push the issue and printed the TSB for them to look at and pleaded with them to apply it. If it wasn't for my research and persistence I'd still have a garbage soundsystem.

zx3junglist

Reaction score
Guess I'm going to need to go to the dealer and listen to one to ensure I will like the overwhelming bass. My build was before August.

Some sound engineer here (forgive me - I forget who) suggested that after you have it applied, set the EQ like this
BASS -6
MID -2
HIGH -4

I would generally agree. I think it sounds good this way - try it out.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Some sound engineer here (forgive me - I forget who) suggested that after you have it applied, set the EQ like this
BASS -6
MID -2
HIGH -4

I would generally agree. I think it sounds good this way - try it out.
I’ve been running -5, -2, +2(?) for a while now. Maybe my high-frequency hearing is going ;) Regardless, it’s the first vehicle I’ve owned where a negative bass EQ setting improves the overall balance significantly.

redmondson

Reaction score
I wouldn’t consider the bass to be overwhelming by any means. Everything is just louder and crisper. Plus, you can always turn down the bass if it’s too much for your liking.

EskimoPolo

Reaction score
Can someone please point out where exactly the 19 speakers are inside the cabin? I am not counting 19. Thank you.

Rick J

Reaction score
Can someone please point out where exactly the 19 speakers are inside the cabin? I am not counting 19. Thank you.
Several threads on this if you do a search

The unity speakers count as two speakers since they contain a tweeter - so that is 14 speakers, plus 4 6x9's in the doors, plus the sub is behind the rear passenger seat.

19 Speaker System
  • 7 Unity speakers
    • 3 in IP, 2 in upper front doors, 2 in rear headliner
  • 4 6x9” woofers
    • 1 in each lower door
  • 10” enclosed subwoofer
    • Behind rear passenger sea

Loyal Ram

Reaction score
Look at the stock corner speakers I replaced with Infinity the quality of the stock speakers in my opinion may have a lot to do with the problems. BA31A1B5-3588-4B66-A45D-0B1B1F34593E.jpeg 40FAFC0F-38D9-42D4-99B1-570035199450.jpeg

DennisY

Reaction score
Hey! Those are Reference speakers! Those are supposed to provide super accurate sound! (Joking, sort of. In the pro-audio world, yes, that's what it means. Over the years in the consumer world, the term has been misused in branding though [literary license?].) I found info and specs on this speaker here: https://www.infinityspeakers.com/speakers/REFERENCE+3032CFX.html

Your pictures are the top of the dash left and right speakers?

Infinity is a brand under Harmon by the way. And Harmon is a subsidiary of Samsung. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harman_International

What model speaker did you use to replace the factory Harmons? I'd like to look up the specs and see some pictures. Also, how do you like them in comparison to the stock speakers?

Tonywhats

Reaction score
What's up guys, great information. Is it safe to assume this issue with HK will be fixed on the 19 Ram? I have two options, one with Alpine and one with HK. Can get either for basically the same price. Sounds like most people are happy with the fix of the HK system but it's still not that much better if at all compared to Alpine.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

maddog49

Reaction score
What's up guys, great information. Is it safe to assume this issue with HK will be fixed on the 19 Ram? I have two options, one with Alpine and one with HK. Can get either for basically the same price. Sounds like most people are happy with the fix of the HK system but it's still not that much better if at all compared to Alpine.

Even if you bought a old hk it's a 15 minute software update. Not exactly something worth getting a lesser system for. It's fixed on all newer build models from this year per the service bulletin. The hk is noticeably better than the alpine in these trucks.

Tonywhats

Reaction score
Even if you bought a old hk it's a 15 minute software update. Not exactly something worth getting a lesser system for. It's fixed on all newer build models from this year per the service bulletin. The hk is noticeably better than the alpine in these trucks.
Excellent, that's what I needed to hear. For me it's not even more expensive because the dealer with the HK is giving me a very similar deal. I was leaning that way already, gonna go HK. Thanks.

Z mann R2

Reaction score
I don’t see how y’all can be at -6 -2 -4 because I try that and it sounds like ****

this is my best setting and she SCREAMS for metal:

FDABA852-C688-4EDD-9BAB-54FC50496AB0.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/