5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH.. Slow leak on rear tire

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha. Never been a fan of the dealer touching my tires or wheels. But that's me just being me. :) The only reason I mentioned aftermarket is that I have lost count how many I've had to replace for customers.
Right. Never let a dealer touch a tire.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not too surprised they don’t have those in stock, as that’s just something that probably doesn’t happen very often. I bet if you lost a lugnut they’d have 100’s of those! At least it’s only a one day wait.
really?..dealers don't put tires on vehicles anymore? wow....

Crawpapa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t know. I haven’t used a dealer to install tires in a long time. My brother was a Parts Department manager, and told me a while ago they don’t keep tires in the store - if a customer needs tires he orders them for next day delivery. Some dealerships seem to not have the equipment need to replace and balance tires though - just from me walking around and looking into the bays.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We charge $88 to mount and balance 4 tires. If I had to guess we have 60 sets of tires in stock. Mostly oem replacement and can get almost anything next day from multiple venders. Last year we purchased 2 tire machines and 1 updated road force balancer. Yes dealers do tires.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
Makes no sense in a customer service industry that they try to provide. Those dealers are probably the ones without a water leak tech.
Back in 2006 when I had a nissan suv the dealer sent the tires out to get replaced. They didn't do them in house. Don't know what they do today

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Makes no sense in a customer service industry that they try to provide. Those dealers are probably the ones without a water leak tech.
Small town dealerships like those in my town don't have things like tire shops or body shops. When that kind of work needs to be performed they have an actual tire shop or body shop do the work. Pretty common around here.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Small town dealerships like those in my town don't have things like tire shops or body shops. When that kind of work needs to be performed they have an actual tire shop or body shop do the work. Pretty common around here.
The next 3 closest dealers near me are in towns with under 2200 people and they have tire equipment. Body shops I get.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
The next 3 closest dealers near me are in towns with under 2200 people and they have tire equipment. Body shops I get.
That's great, good for them. What does that have to do with dealerships where I live?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's great, good for them. What does that have to do with dealerships where I live?
Just stating small town dealers can do tires too. Has nothing to do with town size but I am glad your small town dealer can take care of all your needs.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We charge $88 to mount and balance 4 tires. If I had to guess we have 60 sets of tires in stock. Mostly oem replacement and can get almost anything next day from multiple venders. Last year we purchased 2 tire machines and 1 updated road force balancer. Yes dealers do tires.
yup, I was being sarcastic...I can't imagine a dealer NOT doing tires at LEAST occasionally...not having a valve stem on hand is ridiculous...

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yep. Last time I had a tire get cut, I went to the closest dealer to get it replaced under the tire and wheel coverage. Small town dealer that also sells Chevys. They only stock a few dozen cars. Had tires in stock, and had me in and out in less than 2 hours.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Yeah I was a little surprised myself. I dont know for sure if its the entire sensor either, I thought the TPMS valve stem was metal but these are rubber. Guess I will find out Friday.
There are different types of valve stems with TPMS. Some are metal, some are rubber, some just the stem or sensor are replaceable, some are one piece.

rammin03

Reaction score
There are different types of valve stems with TPMS. Some are metal, some are rubber, some just the stem or sensor are replaceable, some are one piece.
It was a rubber valve stem and they transferred the sensor. Did not catch the price but it was pretty quick.

Users who are viewing this thread