5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SMH.. Slow leak on rear tire

rammin03

Reaction score
So as it says, been tracking a slow leak on Vader, came home tonight and did the normal look over trying to find something stuck in it. No luck. Got the soapy water solution out and saw nothing on the tread or the rim bead. Spray the valve stem and saw nothing to indicate a leak. Thinking I was beat I resorted to just filling it back up. Strange thing when I loosen the cap, it has a small pressure to it and blows bubbles. Ha, I found a bad valve! Nope.... As I put air in it the valve stem bends a little and a bunch of air sounds out around the wheel/valve edge. It would appear the valve is not seated in the wheel correctly. A little side pressure and she leaks. 1100 miles and I guess I am lucky it did not blow out all the way. Moral of the story, dont assume the tire is punctured, check everything. Off to the dealer in the morning I guess.

rammin03

Reaction score
Confirmed today it is a bad Valve stem, guess what was not in stock? They hope to have the valve stem tomorrow, glad it was verified. The factory wheels and stems were not even on my radar when starting to look at this. I can tell you I will not forget it in the future. The service tech watched me put light pressure on it and heard the leaking air, started shaking his head right away. Keep your stems in mind if you cannot find a puncture! Also, there is another post like mine above that is word for word from a new user, kind strange? Reported it to the admins

Crawpapa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m not too surprised they don’t have those in stock, as that’s just something that probably doesn’t happen very often. I bet if you lost a lugnut they’d have 100’s of those! At least it’s only a one day wait.

rammin03

Reaction score
They don't have in stock valve stems?
What the actual F?
Yeah I was a little surprised myself. I dont know for sure if its the entire sensor either, I thought the TPMS valve stem was metal but these are rubber. Guess I will find out Friday.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I’m not too surprised they don’t have those in stock, as that’s just something that probably doesn’t happen very often. I bet if you lost a lugnut they’d have 100’s of those! At least it’s only a one day wait.
What are you talking about?
Half the time you get new tires they give you new valve stems. Local tire shops always trying to charge you for new valve stems.

Yeah I was a little surprised myself. I dont know for sure if its the entire sensor either, I thought the TPMS valve stem was metal but these are rubber. Guess I will find out Friday.
The TPMS screws onto the valve stem (or the other way around) 2 different parts.

I bought a valve stem for like 6$ off amazon with next day shipping (not for my Ram)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Half the time you get new tires they give you new valve stems. Local tire shops always trying to charge you for new valve stems.

The TPMS screws onto the valve stem (or the other way around) 2 different parts.

I bought a valve stem for like 6$ off amazon with next day shipping (not for my Ram)

I'm certain my local dealership doesn't have any valve stems in stock. They have no equipment for doing tire work, and send all their tire work to a nearby tire shop.

Crawpapa

Ram Guru
Reaction score

True, but if you went to a dealership for tires, more than likely they’d have to order them - just like I’m saying for the stems. What I meant is that the stems don’t usually fault like what you’re dealing with.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Confirmed today it is a bad Valve stem, guess what was not in stock? They hope to have the valve stem tomorrow, glad it was verified. The factory wheels and stems were not even on my radar when starting to look at this. I can tell you I will not forget it in the future. The service tech watched me put light pressure on it and heard the leaking air, started shaking his head right away. Keep your stems in mind if you cannot find a puncture! Also, there is another post like mine above that is word for word from a new user, kind strange? Reported it to the admins
Admins took care of the duplicate post and member who did it has been removed.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its the whole ire pressure sensor
No you can get a complete sensor with a stem or just a stem from the dealer.

I'm shocked they didn't have a sensor, take the stem off the sensor and get the truck fixed today.

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
OP said valve stem.
He didn't say the TPMS. 2 differnet things.

Here is the part number for the valve stem kit 68058766AA
$63 for just a stem is ridiculous when you can get a stem with a TPM sensor for $39. What is Ram thinking?

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Lol, that’s strange. Wonder if the prices are wrong.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Ratchet

Reaction score
Plenty of aftermarket stems that will work with the OEM TPMS sensors. Street price is usually around $8 plus install. Any reputable tire store can remedy this for you in less than 20 minutes.

rammin03

Reaction score
Plenty of aftermarket stems that will work with the OEM TPMS sensors. Street price is usually around $8 plus install. Any reputable tire store can remedy this for you in less than 20 minutes.
Understand, this is a warranty issue at 1100 miles or I would have went to a local Tire Dealer that does great work. Honestly I did not know if it was a stem issue or a wheel issue this morning.

Ratchet

Reaction score
Gotcha. Never been a fan of the dealer touching my tires or wheels. But that's me just being me. :) The only reason I mentioned aftermarket is that I have lost count how many I've had to replace for customers.

Users who are viewing this thread