5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Small rust spots on hood

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
A lot of people think that new paint on factory vehicles doesn’t need to be messed with, but it’s amazing how much crap is bonded to the paint by the time the consumer takes it home. A proper, full detail, to include claying on a new vehicle will make a big difference in how long it stays looking good.
I agree, my paint on my 97 feels better than this truck. When you run your hand down my new truck it feels like they washed and dried it with sandpaper.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I just turned 92 and learned something new...gotta get me some Iron-X and use my walker to get to the front of my truck

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I agree, my paint on my 97 feels better than this truck. When you run your hand down my new truck it feels like they washed and dried it with sandpaper.

Agree, it might look fine to most, but it will look better after getting all the junk off the surface. All it usually takes to convince someone is to get out the ‘ol plastic sandwich baggie and have them run their fingers over a panel, then clay it and tell them to do it again.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Why not clay bar a new truck? I've clay barred every new car or truck I've purchased since 2000.

I think because clay baring can be quite invasive, in many cases you may need to do minor paint correction afterwards. A lot of detailers recommend you clay bar only if you plan on paint correction as well.

KRField

Reaction score
I think because clay baring can be quite invasive, in many cases you may need to do minor paint correction afterwards. A lot of detailers recommend you clay bar only if you plan on paint correction as well.

If you want to clay (and you should even new paint) but no plans to machine polish then use this (https://www.theragcompany.com/ultra-clay-towel/) or some ultra fine clay and zero pressure. You do not need to scrub with it. Be sure to liberally apply the lubricant as well.

Best way to see if you need to clay is when washing grab a plastic bag or if you are wearing gloves after you wash the panel before rinsing glide you hand over it. If it feels rough then it’s time to clay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shuga

Reaction score
Why not clay bar a new truck? I've clay barred every new car or truck I've purchased since 2000.

A clay bar is for emergency use. Use Iron X it lifts out the contaminates without the mar

DirtNazzty

Reaction score
Don’t Claybar a brand new truck!!! Get Iron X. It removes all the little rust particles.

Lol why not clay bar a new truck? I have detailed cars for a living for over 17 years now and worked at a brand new Dodge dealership for many years, we clay'd cars all the time straight off the truck before they even went on the lot. Every car has rail dust, white and silver just show it alot worse than all other colors!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A clay bar is for emergency use. Use Iron X it lifts out the contaminates without the mar

Iron X lifts out the iron contaminants only. If you want to use that method only, then go for it. Others may have some hard water deposits from the crappy parking lot washers at the dealers. Others in the south may have had the truck sitting on the dealer's lot, got dusty, then had an afternoon rainstorm just before the sun came out to bake that dust into the clear. Iron-x isn't designed to be used this way.

Lastly, when you have vehicles that have won multiple platinum awards at national car shows, and received best paint awards, I may listen to your suggestions, but right now, I think I'm doing ok with my process.

Below is the reflection on my 33 year old factory paint. Many may recall that the late 80's were known for paint delamination on GM vehicles.

Attachments

• Refinish copy.jpg
    Refinish copy.jpg
    284.8 KB · Views: 13

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Iron X lifts out the iron contaminants only. If you want to use that method only, then go for it. Others may have some hard water deposits from the crappy parking lot washers at the dealers. Others in the south may have had the truck sitting on the dealer's lot, got dusty, then had an afternoon rainstorm just before the sun came out to bake that dust into the clear. Iron-x isn't designed to be used this way.

Lastly, when you have vehicles that have won multiple platinum awards at national car shows, and received best paint awards, I may listen to your suggestions, but right now, I think I'm doing ok with my process.

Below is the reflection on my 33 year old factory paint. Many may recall that the late 80's were known for paint delamination on GM vehicles.
Agree.

What I do on vehicles with rough paint is Iron X type product first, then clay bar.

I do agree and have experienced first hand micro abrasions from the clay bar, which it’s pretty normal since you are a removing and sliding abrasive particles around the paint
Since I always follow up with a machine polish it’s not an issue, just be aware that it could still mar the finish to degree.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Scott, is that a 1987 Camaro IROC-Z in your avatar photo that you are referring to? I had a 1989 IROC up until about 3 years ago. I had the somewhat rare rear window louvers as well but I had removed them from the vehicle. I included the louvers with the Camaro when I sold it.

Attachments

• DSCN0707.JPG
    DSCN0707.JPG
    230.5 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN0789.JPG
    DSCN0789.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 10

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

I had an '87 Z28 in that color with a dark red interior...loved that car.

Lit_AF

Hardware Geek - Pro Detailer
Reaction score
Lubrication is key when claying.
FCA paint is normally hard too.
It's totally fine to clay a brand new vehicle, it comes with full contaminates package from the dealer too lol.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
It's totally fine to clay a brand new vehicle, it comes with full contaminates package from the dealer too lol.
LOL. Exactly! It's a feature... :p

GreenGoblin

Reaction score
I was so excited to see I got the contaminates package with my new truck at no extra cost!

MayhemMOORE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Strip washed the new truck yesterday then sprayed down with an iron remover. There was a ton of purple dots all over as it began to react, way more than I even thought by looking pretty closely at it. Got the roof, hood and windshield clayed last night and plan on trying to get the rest done today.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In response, yes that is a 1987 IROC-Z. It's a fully loaded, all original, 21k mile car. I've had it for almost 21 years now and it's been a show car all of it's life. As I mentioned, it's got 8 platinum awards at national shows, multiple 1st place awards, a best 996 out of 1000 point judged show, Hemming's Muscle Machines feature car a few years back, etc, etc.

Regarding the truck, my top surfaces sounded like sand paper as I dragged the clay bar across it. I do have very fine micro marring, or what looks like buffer swirl in a few places, so I plan to do another round of polishing this weekend. I may also consider ceramic coating since my truck sits outside.

Attachments

• passenger side 012.jpg
    passenger side 012.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 12

Cgo

Reaction score
Anybody else's hood have spots like this? Truck only has about 1000 miles on it and decided to do a good detail today and I'm noticing little spots like this all over my hood. It havent taken a clay bar or anything to it yet but these look like rust spots that are coming through from under the paint not something that has settled onto the paint. Any ideas?
73166ccbbd5988340247877f3c60c46d.jpg
4b1db37b00b0d3117707a8f5f223585b.jpg
f96e02f0cde81bc72b4849eb09d6d99c.jpg

Rail dust. I always use IronX, great stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread