5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sloooowwww take off

ram0686

Reaction score
I had a pedal commander and didn't care for it. When I had my Silverado, I had a BlackBear Tune and loved it. I agree with the above poster. Tune is better upgrade over a pedal commander etc.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had a pedal commander and didn't care for it. When I had my Silverado, I had a BlackBear Tune and loved it. I agree with the above poster. Tune is better upgrade over a pedal commander etc.
Same here on my old Sierra 1500HD.

Sv250

Reaction score
I knew this going in. I was hoping that the slow take off was more from computer control than slow truck. I know unlocked pc headers etc will help a bit. They will also kill the ext. Warranty i paid a chunk of change for.

As for the pc, It has improved my normal diving feel a lot. On sport 2, it feels as it should. When i would give it a little throttle stock , the truck didnt want to move so i had to mash the pedal to wake it up. Now it feels like its ready.
Worth$300.....not really. Good $100 upgrade.
At least i know now.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That has nothing to do with DELAY. The only thing a throttle controller can change is sensitivity. Yeah you set it to sport, and now your 10% throttle input jumps to 100% instead. Big whoop. Just floor the pedal yourself next time. It will NOT change the fact it takes about a quarter of a second for the engine to actually start pushing the damn truck, which shouldn't be happening. This is the slowest responding vehicle I've ever driven.

Well; there is a video on youtube showing the sprint booster in action. It does not just change sensitivity, it changes the speed at which the throttle body opens. When you floor it without SB attached, the throttle body takes (say) 250 ms to go from almost closed to wide open. When you floor it with SB attached, the throttle body opens instantly, just like a mechanical lever opening a valve; absolutely 0 delay, and speed is directly equivalent to the speed you press.

So if that video (using test equipment of course) is accurate, the SB will definitely improve speed as well as sensitivity. The question is; are they rigging the test/video?

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well; there is a video on youtube showing the sprint booster in action. It does not just change sensitivity, it changes the speed at which the throttle body opens. When you floor it without SB attached, the throttle body takes (say) 250 ms to go from almost closed to wide open. When you floor it with SB attached, the throttle body opens instantly, just like a mechanical lever opening a valve; absolutely 0 delay, and speed is directly equivalent to the speed you press.

So if that video (using test equipment of course) is accurate, the SB will definitely improve speed as well as sensitivity. The question is; are they rigging the test/video?
Yeah, I saw that same video and it's what convinced me to finally try a throttle controller. Either the video is rigged, or different vehicles will have different effects. Regardless of the reason, there is 0 difference on these trucks in terms of responsiveness with either the PC or the Vitesse controller. Tried both, got rid of both. I like them for what they are (the Vitesse especially since it's significantly cheaper), but I'm not going to trust my throttle input to some cheap *** modifier that could fail and be disastrous when it doesn't fix my biggest complaint (sluggish response).

silver billet

Reaction score
Yeah, I saw that same video and it's what convinced me to finally try a throttle controller. Either the video is rigged, or different vehicles will have different effects. Regardless of the reason, there is 0 difference on these trucks in terms of responsiveness with either the PC or the Vitesse controller. Tried both, got rid of both. I like them for what they are (the Vitesse especially since it's significantly cheaper), but I'm not going to trust my throttle input to some cheap *** modifier that could fail and be disastrous when it doesn't fix my biggest complaint (sluggish response).

To be fair, the SB claims they are the first manufacturer to do this kind of thing, and they (according to them) do it right, they're not a cheap knock off. I'd be interested in hearing if others have tested the SB vs other options and noticed any difference.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To be fair, the SB claims they are the first manufacturer to do this kind of thing, and they (according to them) do it right, they're not a cheap knock off. I'd be interested in hearing if others have tested the SB vs other options and noticed any difference.
I just don't see it. Plugging into the pedal somehow being able to adjust the throttle blade speed? From what I've gathered, the pedal just sends a signal of its position. The throttle blade movement is controlled from somewhere else as a result of the pedal position reading.

Hockeydad

Reaction score
I have the SB and it works pretty good. Race might a little to much for every day driving but good if some hot dog pulls up next to you. And it’s all about just pushing a button and with SB you can program and take the unit out.

M3Master

Reaction score
That 2.7L is faster than it should be. My dad has one. I traded my 2019 F150 Limited for my new Ram. The Limited had the 450hp/510tq Raptor motor. My dad's was much more fun to drive.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t have this big lag. If I do get a slower response then normal. i just do app/tb reset next ignition on cycling.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I
That 2.7L is faster than it should be. My dad has one. I traded my 2019 F150 Limited for my new Ram. The Limited had the 450hp/510tq Raptor motor. My dad's was much more fun to drive.
I had a 15’ 2.7 F150 (before they updated the engine and added 25# more tq). It was stupid quick even with a 3.55 rear gear set. FCA needs to “wake up” the hemi, its been languishing too long at its current hp/tq output rates.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Oh boy, this video again. I haven't tried a Sprint Booster, but I have tried a PC and Vitesse. They were identical in the fact that they could not eliminate the throttle lag. I highly doubt SB is any different - likely need a tune or PCM linkage of some sort (Pulsar perhaps). Basically what I'm trying to say is not every vehicle will act the same with these kinds of products. And a test bench is hardly indicative of real world reaction when a whole freaking vehicle and all the other electronics are at play. This video looks like a damn 4am infomercial.

ssick92

Reaction score
I think video shows it a little better and is on the v3. Shows that it's not just remapping your pedal, but it actually opens the throttle body faster. Allegedly... It's one thing for them to show it on a display meant to showcase this ability, but I'm curious if it actually functions that way in the real world.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree, and, that 2.7 eco could outrun any almost V8 according to other more leadfoot owners when I was on the F150 forum.
Nope...I already smoked one last week here in Vegas, and I have the 3.21 axle ratio. Now the 3.5 Ecoboost would smoke us ANY day

Sv250

Reaction score
Nope...I already smoked one last week here in Vegas, and I have the 3.21 axle ratio. Now the 3.5 Ecoboost would smoke us ANY day
Well we have one as a work truck. 4 of us drining 2020 rams. The 2.7 beat all of them.

ny2az

Reaction score
l have the Vitesse ... l'm completely happy with it... removed the lag it had on initial roll off... not going to say its faster ... but the response is definitely better ....

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well we have one as a work truck. 4 of us drining 2020 rams. The 2.7 beat all of them.
I don't know if it made a difference...I had my TC off and gear limit set to 8. But I definitely smoked this guy's 2.7 Ecoboost...not by a lot but enough to tell that he couldn't keep up with my Hemi. Next time I'll try with Tow/haul mode on (basically sport model) Maybe your work truck is tuned or something...?

Sv250

Reaction score
The ecoboost rental beat my limited 4wd 392 gears and tc off.
It also beat a 2wd with 321 gears
A 4x4 bighorn with 321 gears
And a laramine 4wd.

Every one of them thought something eas wrong with my truck til they got spanked..
I was diving the ecoboost racing the other 3. None of us could believe it.

Rams are just slow. I have to get used to that.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think video shows it a little better and is on the v3. Shows that it's not just remapping your pedal, but it actually opens the throttle body faster. Allegedly... It's one thing for them to show it on a display meant to showcase this ability, but I'm curious if it actually functions that way in the real world.

That video is another crock of **** and makes me trust them even less. They don’t start the truck in the same spot lmfao. 471FD2F2-EE2A-435C-8D56-DA06837DF102.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread