5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slightly louder exhaust

Hiimkyle70

Reaction score
Looking for a way to make the exhaust a little bit louder. Nothing fo loud just a throatier sound with minimal drone. I'd prefer changing the muffler but would look at a cat back system if there are any decent ones that fit this description.

rob989_69

Reaction score
I just installed the flowmaster outlaw that you cut and bolt in. It's loud and has a fair bit of drone. I'll live with it for now but wish I'd have gone with the B2 Magnaflow.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
You'll get a lof opinions on this for sure. I did the Flowmaster FX. I had it narrowed to that and the MagnaFlow. I liked them both but went with Flowmaster as I've never had one on a vehicle before.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just installed the flowmaster outlaw that you cut and bolt in. It's loud and has a fair bit of drone. I'll live with it for now but wish I'd have gone with the B2 Magnaflow.

Do you turn off the MDS when driving? Otherwise most aftermarket exhaust will drone when it switches to 4 cylinder mode. This is the reason why the stock muffler is the size of a oil barrel and there are 3 resonators, including two behind the tips the size of regular mufflers.

Firebird

Reaction score
My Magnaflow just arrived an hour ago, will report back once installed

Kxlexus

Reaction score
Instead of buying the B2 fabrication and similar mufflers go to your local muffler shop. I did and saved over $100, got the same Magnaflow that B2 Fabrication uses and had it installed by a professional who welded it in. Whole lot better deal any way you look at it

rob989_69

Reaction score
Do you turn off the MDS when driving? Otherwise most aftermarket exhaust will drone when it switches to 4 cylinder mode. This is the reason why the stock muffler is the size of a oil barrel and there are 3 resonators, including two behind the tips the size of regular mufflers.
I tried that yesterday on the way home. It definately made it better. I'm falling in love with it more. I'd still do the B2 if I had to do it again. But at this point I'll probably hold off and do a full catback down the road. I really wanted a Borla but didn't want to throw down $1k right now.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I tried that yesterday on the way home. It definately made it better. I'm falling in love with it more. I'd still do the B2 if I had to do it again. But at this point I'll probably hold off and do a full catback down the road. I really wanted a Borla but didn't want to throw down $1k right now.

My buddy almost got rid of his Carven until he realized the MDS thing. I also have the Outlaw and turn off my MDS when I take off, but for some reason I forgot one day and I remember my head hurting and really not liking the exhaust. I realized my Eco light was on and turned my MDS off. For the rest of my drive not only was I happy, but actually enjoyed hearing he exhaust. The MDS sure makes a difference.

You can always try the B2 out by going to a muffler shop and having them simply switch out the mufflers themselves. The Muffler itself is under $100. Before you buy those full systems, makes sure you are actually getting the sound you think you want. I'm not sure they will be worth the $$$ in sound. You can also tune your current sound by having a muffler shop add another resonator or replace the one upstream with a larger one.

dsn112

Reaction score
Instead of buying the B2 fabrication and similar mufflers go to your local muffler shop. I did and saved over $100, got the same Magnaflow that B2 Fabrication uses and had it installed by a professional who welded it in. Whole lot better deal any way you look at it

Not for me. I wanted to do the work at home in my garage, and also the ability to return it to stock quickly without needing to drive anywhere. I will gladly pay for the quality of welds and simplicity of install, but you have to do what works for you.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Not for me. I wanted to do the work at home in my garage, and also the ability to return it to stock quickly without needing to drive anywhere. I will gladly pay for the quality of welds and simplicity of install, but you have to do what works for you.
That was me also. I like the satisfaction I get of doing things myself, and one more reason I keep buying tools :cool:

SD Rebel

Reaction score

Don't you still have to cut the pipe? How do you return it to stock?

louz

Reaction score
I installed the Magna flow cat back. Love the sound MSD ON OR OFF. Don't understand this drone crap everybody is talking about. I turn the radio off, windows open and hear NO difference when in ECO or regular. Nice rumble. Must be a fluke :)

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
A simple clamp, which I have sitting on the shelf with my stock muffler.
I wondered about this, since both pipes are the same diameter. What type of clamp? I would assume welding is needed to prevent leaks.

Kxlexus

Reaction score
I usually prefer to do things myself too. However given the chance to let a professional who has been doing this for 40 years weld this in AND save $100. I’ll choose the pro and the Benjamin every time

dsn112

Reaction score
I wondered about this, since both pipes are the same diameter. What type of clamp? I would assume welding is needed to prevent leaks.

Something like this. It won't leak, and honestly the only reason I would go back to stock is to trade it in, so I am not going to be concerned about a minor leak, though it shouldn't leak.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Something like this. It won't leak, and honestly the only reason I would go back to stock is to trade it in, so I am not going to be concerned about a minor leak, though it shouldn't leak.

Thanks. Good to know (I've kept my stock keg-sized exhaust just in case)...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online