5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

Smoot178

Reaction score
Got the truck back again. Vibration at 70+ is gone. Vibration at 60 is back, but is constant (and not on a curve), and is aggressive.

The dealer now believes their road force machine is ****ed. They said, and I quote, "We tested 16 wheels off stock vehicles and only one tested within specifications, and only barely at 20PSI". That's what I have on there now.

Last edited:

ericd

Reaction score
Mine is having the exact issue as described. It seems to be getting worse. I tried to read every post but forgive me if i missed this. Mine goes away the second the air ride switches to Aero mode. Could it have anything to do with the air ride?

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Maybe I am just desperate to get this fixed, and my brain is just telling me what I want to hear, but maybe this is something? Today I disconnected both ATMM’s to see if they may be causing the issue. My truck has never been smoother....no wobble at speed and very little to almost no vibration in the gas pedal and floorboards under load and engine speeds between 1500-2000 rpms. Has anyone else tried this? Would some of you be willing to give it a try to see if you see an improvement as well? I’m going to leave it this way for a few days to continue testing. Am I nuts?
Any further update on if your still not experiencing the vibration/ wobble once you disconnected the ATMM’S ?

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Mine is having the exact issue as described. It seems to be getting worse. I tried to read every post but forgive me if i missed this. Mine goes away the second the air ride switches to Aero mode. Could it have anything to do with the air ride?
Some, like myself that don’t have air ride are still experiencing this issue.

ddonia

Reaction score
Any further update on if your still not experiencing the vibration/ wobble once you disconnected the ATMM’S ?

@Jasonml24 I have not been driving much due to the holiday up did go out earlier today and did not experience any wobble at speed or the vibration between 1500-2000 rpm under light load. Next week I will be back to my normal driving patterns and can really give it a better test but so far so good.

Jasonml24

Reaction score
@Jasonml24 I have not been driving much due to the holiday up did go out earlier today and did not experience any wobble at speed or the vibration between 1500-2000 rpm under light load. Next week I will be back to my normal driving patterns and can really give it a better test but so far so good.
Thanks for the update and hopefully this is the answer. I’m taking mine back in the first part of January and I wanna be able to give them something to look at. Fingers crossed for all of us experiencing this.

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the update and hopefully this is the answer. I’m taking mine back in the first part of January and I wanna be able to give them something to look at. Fingers crossed for all of us experiencing this.
I've also been wondering if this could be the cause. I like the idea behind the ATMMs, but if execution isn't perfect, it can be yet another source of distraction from enjoying the vehicle. Fortunately, I haven't had these issues.

zman9119

Reaction score
wobble at speed

As a former 3rd gen Ram owner (specifically 2003), the word wobble and Ram scare the **** out of me when used close together.

As for my vibration issue, still at the dealership and no updates. At least I have this lovely Chevy Impala with 100k+ miles to drive as a loaner :rolleyes:.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As a former 3rd gen Ram owner (specifically 2003), the word wobble and Ram scare the **** out of me when used close together.

As for my vibration issue, still at the dealership and no updates. At least I have this lovely Chevy Impala with 100k+ miles to drive as a loaner :rolleyes:.
At least you scored with the loaner:)

zman9119

Reaction score
At least you scored with the loaner:)

Would have been happy to take my old truck back seeing as it was still there. Would have really confused people thinking my truck is shrinking, then back normal, then shrinking again. Truck shrinking could be a real cold weather issue...

Smoot178

Reaction score
The holiday is really screwing with my problem. I called the dealership today and asked for an update, and they said Hunter has not yet inspected their machine. My patience is slowly degrading. I am going to call Chrysler today and see what they have to say.

Edit: I am scheduling a new appointment at a closer dealer for Monday. Chrysler has been helpful on the phone.

Last edited:

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealers are like any franchise business. Some are really good and customer service-centric, and others, not so much. There are also some franchises that close down...and you know precisely why. ;)

zman9119

Reaction score
Agree on the holiday(s) screwing with the time frame. No update on my end. FCA advised that the dealership "...did not give an eta on when repairs would be done as they are working on addressing the vibration concern."

:(

zman9119

Reaction score
Does anyone have any STAR case numbers that might be of help on this?

Dealership observes the issue, but cannot find anything and says its just "normal truck feeling" on the '19s...

Longhorn5G

Reaction score

Dealership observes the issue, but cannot find anything and says its just "normal truck feeling" on the '19s...
I told my dealer that my truck was fitting the exact symptoms of a bad alignment and/or imbalanced tires.

I told him that the floor and seats shake at highway speeds, thats a sign of something wrong with the rear end. I told him its one or the other, so check and fix both, please.

I then told him that my steering wheel seemed off center, that i have to hold to right to stay straightish.

So I said, when you couple that with the floors and seats wobbling, theres something def wrong with alignment.

They did alignment and said, looks like you kniw what your talking about! As he showed me all the red numbers from the alignment. And they rebalanced wheels. Problem went 90% away. I blame the other 10% on the tires just simply being bridgestone.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score

My points are: if they really are simply only looking at it, and not ACTUALLY checking wheel balance or checking alignment, then thats a problem. My alignment was VERY off, amd it was brand new, like 1300 miles or something. They cant visually inspect an alignment or look at wheel balance, alone.

Maybe sometimes its just how confident one sounds in their warranty complaint. Maybe its also how much room you give them to blow you off. Im not saying you did or didnt give them that room... im just saying that one persons exact transcript and method for getting a fix may not work, even if you use the same exact words...all boiling down to how you say it...

Me? I am never in a mood for niceties... ever. "How are you today sir?"

Oh me? Well I am having to take time out of my already busy life to hand deliver a brand new car back to its seller because its wobbling like its 14 years old. So other than that, i might have been good today.

Their mood changes and realizes you are already annoyed.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
I then anectotally tell them I have a 20+ year old BMW sitting in my garage that I have less issues with right now, as compared to this Ram. I tell them something just doesnt make me feel very good about that.

I tell them what I believe the problem is, and if they debate me, i then state that I have owned more than THIS car in my life, and although I am not a mechanic, i know the difference between whats a PROBLEM, and whats JUST HOW A TRUCK DRIVES.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Does anyone have the 20" LIMITED rims and have this issue?

Edit: Dropped at my local dealership for visit # 5. The service writer had the tech ride with me and we had a long discussion about the issue. He is going to take a more holistic approach to the issue and try to see if this is a defect with the model, the rims and model, or just the rims and tires, and so on. If he can get permission from his boss, he will also swap a pair of 20" LIMITED rims (that's all they got on the lot, no 22's) from a vehicle that is known good by driving it before doing the swap.

If I had to make a super uneducated guess, I bet there is some sort of defect either with the tires or 22" rims. I am betting that a set of 20's will resolve my issue. I would be happy with the 20's if it fixes my issue AND results in better ride quality from the thicker tires. I don't care about having big rims, the truck just happened to come with them.

Last edited:

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Have you discussed alignment with them.

I have 20s and bridgestone alenzas.

I had them do an alignment... it was a good bit out of spec. They put it within spec and rebalanced tires. Overall, like 90% better.

This is something more, and I dont want to cause a debate about it... but after the bedliner... i think it all but completely went away. I really dont think its just in my head either. Because i am really talented at feeling vibrations and wobbles.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
The way the air works, from what I understand, is that the flow over the top creates a circular bubble in the bed... and that hard bubble (think, rolled haystack) then acts as another piece of body for the new air to glide over and on down to the top of the tailgate.

Of course that happens around 50mph and higher. Slower speeds cant generate that kind of air flow.

My figuring and theory is that the haystack of air, was affecting the bed in some way.

Now that the cover's there, that variable of the haystack has been eliminated to a large degree.

Users who are viewing this thread