5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Slight vibration

ddonia

Reaction score
Maybe I am just desperate to get this fixed, and my brain is just telling me what I want to hear, but maybe this is something? Today I disconnected both ATMM’s to see if they may be causing the issue. My truck has never been smoother....no wobble at speed and very little to almost no vibration in the gas pedal and floorboards under load and engine speeds between 1500-2000 rpms. Has anyone else tried this? Would some of you be willing to give it a try to see if you see an improvement as well? I’m going to leave it this way for a few days to continue testing. Am I nuts?

Jasonml24

Reaction score
Maybe I am just desperate to get this fixed, and my brain is just telling me what I want to hear, but maybe this is something? Today I disconnected both ATMM’s to see if they may be causing the issue. My truck has never been smoother....no wobble at speed and very little to almost no vibration in the gas pedal and floorboards under load and engine speeds between 1500-2000 rpms. Has anyone else tried this? Would some of you be willing to give it a try to see if you see an improvement as well? I’m going to leave it this way for a few days to continue testing. Am I nuts?
Nope your not nuts at all. Quite honestly if that’s the fix I’d be thrilled. Maybe that would explain it sometimes doing it and sometimes not. This truck is the nicest brand new truck I’ve ever owned and I’ve had some really nice new trucks, but this vibration really takes it down a notch for me. I’ve talked to a good friend of mine that’s a 20+ year tech, that unfortunately hasn’t got to ride in my truck to feel it, but he has his theories on what it could be, but nothing conclusive since he hasn’t had the chance to feel it for himself. Please keep us posted with your end results.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Automatic transmission motor mounts???? Thats all I can come up with... and i cant imagine just taking them off LOL... much less getting less vibration...

Man I hope hes talking about something easy that I can say Doh! To

Smoot178

Reaction score
ATMM -

Edit: Unplugging these did not resolve my 70+ MPH vibration. It would make sense to me that these could cause issues with RPM related vibration if defective though. Unfortunately mine is speed related.

Last edited:

ddonia

Reaction score
Active Terrain Management Module?

Sorry, "active tuned mass modules". There are two of them on the new Ram's, attached to the frame. From what very little I know about them they work with the active noise cancellation system to quell vibration into the cabin by way of the frame itself.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
ATMM -

Edit: Unplugging these did not resolve my 70+ MPH vibration. It would make sense to me that these could cause issues with RPM related vibration if defective though. Unfortunately mine is speed related.
When did u unplug them

Arkansas Jeff

Tracking order
Tracking order
Reaction score
Keep us updated. It would be great have this problem finally figured out and fixed.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Sorry, "active tuned mass modules". There are two of them on the new Ram's, attached to the frame. From what very little I know about them they work with the active noise cancellation system to quell vibration into the cabin by way of the frame itself.
Roger that... ok I dont know anything about these ATMM things at all. But from what i was just reading, i am not sure they would be what was affecting or causing my vibrations. The vibes are not isolated to when MDS goes to 4 cylinders. It was the basic 60 to 70 mph speed only vibration.

Im glad you pointed that out tho, because if I ever get vibrations when the MDS kicks on, I know where I am looking first!

I should note, last night i dropped tailgate for a good 70-something miles, on the highway.

I noticed what I felt was less vibration, smoother ride. Maybe it was turbulence shaking that bed around with the gate closed, who knows.

My front wheels were out of alignment, and dealer realigned all 4. They also balanced all 4 wheels.

I believe my vibration is almost all gone. I think I can possibly attribute the rest that remains, to Bridgestones.

I recommend having dealer check your alignments, if you are having vibrations. Even if it doesnt fully solve your vibrations, at least you will be straight and good on your tires.

Smoot178

Reaction score
When did u unplug them
Today after the other guy posted.

Is your driver's side ATMM module tilted on it's axis a bit? My passenger side looks normal and is squared against the frame but the drivers side is tilted up a bit.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Today after the other guy posted.

Is your driver's side ATMM module tilted on it's axis a bit? My passenger side looks normal and is squared against the frame but the drivers side is tilted up a bit.
I cant check as easily.. i am without garage currently. Wish i could just go unplug stuff on a whim. I have a parking lot.

Smoot178

Reaction score
I cant check as easily.. i am without garage currently. Wish i could just go unplug stuff on a whim. I have a parking lot.

It's really easy, you don't need a lift by any means. Just lay down next to the truck and look under, they are very easy to access. I did it in my driveway. There are 2 plugs, I removed both. I think one goes to a sensor and the other to the actual mass module.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
It's really easy, you don't need a lift by any means. Just lay down next to the truck and look under, they are very easy to access. I did it in my driveway. There are 2 plugs, I removed both. I think one goes to a sensor and the other to the actual mass module.
Ah... i remember seeing them when i took running boards, didnt know what they were. Like u, i have no RPM related, ajd since you tested it, im taking your word for it.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Ah... i remember seeing them when i took running boards, didnt know what they were. Like u, i have no RPM related, ajd since you tested it, im taking your word for it.

Mine goes back into the shop tomorrow. Will post results, though it might take a few days.

zman9119

Reaction score
I'm went in this morning. Will update if \ when they figure anything out. They only had one tech working so not hopeful on anything for today.

Smoot178

Reaction score
Dropped mine off this morning too for visit #4. I took the shop manager and tech for a ride. Vibration at 70, got worse up to 85. They validated I wasn't crazy and took her in.

They sent me to Enterprise for a rental. Got a 2019 1500 Classic SLT. It's got 17" Goodyear Wranglers. I have been putzing around all day in the rental and couldn't get any vibration up to 90 MPH. Can't even adjust the seat up and down but damnit, no vibration. Almost makes me sick.

On a lighter note, this dealership has 84 bays! Holy ****!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/