5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sleeping in the truck ideas, back seat mattress

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was searching on this forum about a topic what the best ways are to sleep in a truck but there does not seems to be a topic about this yet.

Not that I will often do this, but it can be interesting to carry it around as a backup sleeping place. I was wondering what you guys do if you want to sleep in the truck. I was searching amazon and googled around a bit and found those inflatable air mattresses or those memory foam things.

but actually often they are quite expensive...for example this one:
or crappy quality.

Also the size looks small, probably cause it is made to fit every car, even they mention it is for a Ram 1500.

And more in detail: Is it more convenient to sleep on the floor (folding up the back seats), using a normal roll up mattress or sort of yoga mat, or to sleep on the back seats using those special in-car air mattresses? Or folding down the driver or passengers seat and sleep like that.
Do you also know if you can lock the truck when being inside and not let the alarm go off? Or being able to use the heating or cooling with the truck's engine off?

Thanks in advance for the ideas and opinions to come.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I’ll let you know when I get my 19 back (back order on the heater core, going on 2 weeks without my truck) but I do 14 hour drives fairly regularly. My 14 was a bit tough to sleep in, the 19 has a ton of room in the back and I’m looking forward to trying it out. I just used a sleeping bag when I’d snooze for a couple of hours in the drivers seat. Would definitely consider some kind of mattress for the 19. And yeah, heat would be a great option.

yankeefan31569

Ram Guru
Reaction score
couple of these might work, dog cushion, at least its something

Attachments

• EE2E817B-1C49-42E8-838F-018A9EEC2315.jpeg
    EE2E817B-1C49-42E8-838F-018A9EEC2315.jpeg
    116.6 KB · Views: 97

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You won’t have hot or cold air with the engine off for very long, so depending on temp, you’ll have to run the truck at intervals to keep it either hot or cold. The only way around this is a generator or large inverter and some type of portable hvac device. I would shy away from an inverter though because of the potential to quickly kill the battery.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
the dog cushion is maybe not a bad idea, if you find it in a certain rectangular size. or just a decent sleeping bag and perhaps sleeping on the back seats or on the ground when you fold up the backseats and even but the front seats more to the front. Although you still have the center console in the way.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
If it's just for me I'd carry a bed tent and a cheap air mattress and sleep in the bed. Most of them are quick to set up. There's not a lot of advantage to sleeping in the cab versus a bed tent unless predators are your concern (both 2 and 4 legged varieties). Although it might be better in the cab during a significant storm.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When they were in stock at Sam’s Club, I purchased two of these. They unzip. You can unzip one of them to cut the foam down so they fit perfectly on 100% of the rear floor area. The dog has never complained and neither have I on hunting/fishing trips when I needed a place to rest.

AV8OR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
DuckDuckGo - self inflating mattress

Also search REI using - mattress

Green Streak

Reaction score
Just an FYI here. I slept in the back of my Rebel crew cab on a fishing trip for 4 nights in a sleeping bag with a pillow with the seats folded up. You can lock the doors. The only uncomfortable piece I kept hitting was the side pieces of the factory under seat storage box thing. The front was folded down but the hard plastic sides I had to work around with my head and feet. I laid on my side with a pillow and slept like a baby. Despite 8 hour fishing days and sleeping in the truck at night, I had no soreness at all. For reference, I’m 6’2” and 43 years old

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
When they were in stock at Sam’s Club, I purchased two of these. They unzip. You can unzip one of them to cut the foam down so they fit perfectly on 100% of the rear floor area. The dog has never complained and neither have I on hunting/fishing trips when I needed a place to rest.

This is indeed a good idea. I found something similar, with a zipper, on a more European friendly website (German Amazon) and if you indeed buy 2, it is a good solution

DuckDuckGo - self inflating mattress

Also search REI using - mattress

Just an FYI here. I slept in the back of my Rebel crew cab on a fishing trip for 4 nights in a sleeping bag with a pillow with the seats folded up. You can lock the doors. The only uncomfortable piece I kept hitting was the side pieces of the factory under seat storage box thing. The front was folded down but the hard plastic sides I had to work around with my head and feet. I laid on my side with a pillow and slept like a baby. Despite 8 hour fishing days and sleeping in the truck at night, I had no soreness at all. For reference, I’m 6’2” and 43 years old
maybe a combination of a self inflating mattress on the floor combined with a sleeping bag or blanket and pillow will do the job too. I am 6'6" but the times you probably sleep in the truck are when I drank too much to drive, which not often happens but when you drink too much, you always sleep easier ;)

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Any of you peeps seen these? good in a pinch (i travel for work and Met a guy who had this and he said its good in a pinch... Inflatable and you can store it in the under seat storage spot. (or in a rambox). they come with a plug in compressor too. you can find them on etrailer and Amazon. I think the OP showed something similar but aliexpress is shady last i heard. the etrailer ones are only $45 to... not too bad if it works.

1645913274544.png

Last edited:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You won’t have hot or cold air with the engine off for very long, so depending on temp, you’ll have to run the truck at intervals to keep it either hot or cold. The only way around this is a generator or large inverter and some type of portable hvac device. I would shy away from an inverter though because of the potential to quickly kill the battery.
Or just use a sleeping bag so you don't have to worry about temp control in the cab

41magmag41

Reaction score
they make a bed tent, 90.00 or there abouts {sportsman guide} and an air mattress that fits between the wheel humps as an option.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Any of you peeps seen these? good in a pinch (i travel for work and Met a guy who had this and he said its good in a pinch... Inflatable and you can store it in the under seat storage spot. (or in a rambox). they come with a plug in compressor too. you can find them on etrailer and Amazon. I think the OP showed something similar but aliexpress is shady last i heard. the etrailer ones are only $45 to... not too bad if it works.

View attachment 121827
Indeed something like that I saw too, but I was wondering if there would be larger ones as the back seat of a Ram is way bigger/more spacious then that of a regular vehicle.

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Indeed something like that I saw too, but I was wondering if there would be larger ones as the back seat of a Ram is way bigger/more spacious then that of a regular vehicle.
i think on some of them they offer "quad cab" and "crew cab" sizes... not sure if its a perfect fit tho.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I tested getting in the back floor with the seats folded up and I can do it but I sleep on all four sides and flip around a lot. It was ok, but not ideal. And I'm only 5'7", 145#.

Those of you who've slept in the back floor, how tall are you and how did you sleep back there? I've got something coming up where I'll either sleep in the cab or the bed and am leaning towards the bed right now. I could flip my bed extender open and put some screen over it if bugs are an issue.

Last edited:

Green Streak

Reaction score
I tested getting in the back floor with the seats folded up and I can do it but I sleep on all four sides and flip around a lot. It was ok, but not ideal. And I'm only 5'7", 145#.

Those of you who've slept in the back floor, how tall are you and how did you sleep back there? I've got something coming up where I'll either sleep in the cab or the bed and am leaning towards the bed right now. I could flip my bed extender open and put some screen over it if bugs are an issue.
I slept on my side with legs bent in a sleeping bag. Pillow under my head and pillow between my legs. Seems like I had a little more leg room sleeping with my head on the passenger side lying on my left side. Good luck.

eTorqueCoasting

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was searching on this forum about a topic what the best ways are to sleep in a truck but there does not seems to be a topic about this yet.

Not that I will often do this, but it can be interesting to carry it around as a backup sleeping place. I was wondering what you guys do if you want to sleep in the truck. I was searching amazon and googled around a bit and found those inflatable air mattresses or those memory foam things.

but actually often they are quite expensive...for example this one:
or crappy quality.

Also the size looks small, probably cause it is made to fit every car, even they mention it is for a Ram 1500.

And more in detail: Is it more convenient to sleep on the floor (folding up the back seats), using a normal roll up mattress or sort of yoga mat, or to sleep on the back seats using those special in-car air mattresses? Or folding down the driver or passengers seat and sleep like that.
Do you also know if you can lock the truck when being inside and not let the alarm go off? Or being able to use the heating or cooling with the truck's engine off?

Thanks in advance for the ideas and opinions to come.
I'll go through all the comments shortly, but want to chime in. I have a '21 Crew cab, I've slept or napped in my truck quite a few times. The front passenger seat (non-powered) folds almost flat, so you can definitely sleep there. Not sure about my driver's seat, as it set where I like it and I don't want to move it. The back is definitely roomy enough, I've stretched out back there a few times and had some really good sleep.
The problem is, at least in my truck, it's not well insulated. If it's cold outside, you will be cold, if its hot out, you will be hot. I have the panoramic sunroof, so I don't know if that plays a part or not, though I imagine it does. A blanket is usually enough for me in winter.
You can lock doors while you are inside. You will need to unlock doors if you are in back. And no climate controls while engine is off. Not even heated seats.

mophead

Reaction score
If you get tired enough or old enough you can sleep anywhere. I slept in the passenger seat (better than sleeping with the steering wheel in the way too) of an International single cab dump for 18 years in plowing snow. No room, no seat adjustment, bucket seat with plow and salt controls impeding from the middle. Knees om dash, arms in lap only. Alternately I'm old enough now that I've developed a button on my butt. If I sit, I can sleep.:geek:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread