5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

sketchy dealer in California!

stevier2987

Reaction score
so last week on Friday I bought my truck brand new, bighorn sport 2019 it had 300 miles on it.... Which I didn't even think much of.... The dealer website said it was a brand new ram, as well as the window sticker and on cargurus.... Well yesterday the dealer calls saying I need to come back and sign some papers stating that the truck is a used truck after all..
Stating that it was an "unwind" sale and they just realized that.... However all the papers I signed in the finance office said the truck was brand new.... Any smart lawers/banker types understand what this means.......... And what will due to my apr on my buy

Jhill

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If they don't take care of you and keep your costs even sweeter than you paid, I would give it back and get all your money back. They screwed up and you are in drivers seat. You bought it as a "new" truck and it isn't . It was misrepresented. I am no lawyer but it should be a big deal new vs used. If they don't sweeten deal than back out and get a "new" truck with like 15 miles. You can get new trucks close to or under invoice now that they are more plentiful. Make sure you get a 33 gallon tank if you can. A real important option as they do use a fair amount of fuel. If they are pissy about it, see if you can walk away and go to a different dealer. The "dealers association" in your city/state should understand this is wrong. Good Luck!!!! They are great trucks though. :) I would talk to someone knowledgable before signing anything more. They want you to take the fall for their screwup and maybe mess up your financing. ........my feeble 2 cents

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well I think it’s a bit premature to say they are scetchy. They called you when they found out. An unwind can happen for many reasons. The car is still new if it was never titled. It can’t be an unwind forced from the bank of finance on the previous deal.

I would go back and take this chance to take advantage of anything you may not have gotten in the first go round and this time you’ll have a cooler head because you aren’t on your first date with the truck so to say.

Not many get a chance to fix some things they found they missed or didn’t have they thought they might have

stevier2987

Reaction score
Well I think it’s a bit premature to say they are scetchy. They called you when they found out. An unwind can happen for many reasons. The car is still new if it was never titled. It can’t be an unwind forced from the bank of finance on the previous deal.

I would go back and take this chance to take advantage of anything you may not have gotten in the first go round and this time you’ll have a cooler head because you aren’t on your first date with the truck so to say.

Not many get a chance to fix some things they found they missed or didn’t have they thought they might have
Ok sounds good
If they don't take care of you and keep your costs even sweeter than you paid, I would give it back and get all your money back. They screwed up and you are in drivers seat. You bought it as a "new" truck and it isn't . It was misrepresented. I am no lawyer but it should be a big deal new vs used. If they don't sweeten deal than back out and get a "new" truck with like 15 miles. You can get new trucks close to or under invoice now that they are more plentiful. Make sure you get a 33 gallon tank if you can. A real important option as they do use a fair amount of fuel. If they are pissy about it, see if you can walk away and go to a different dealer. The "dealers association" in your city/state should understand this is wrong. Good Luck!!!! They are great trucks though. :) I would talk to someone knowledgable before signing anything more. They want you to take the fall for their screwup and maybe mess up your financing. ........my feeble 2 cents
will do thx for opinion!!!

stevier2987

Reaction score

Yeah it's just wierd that no one new about this issue now they want me to go back and sign stuff right b4 Christmas.... And the finance guy tells me I should have known ... I'm like how everywhere I saw said it was new there wasn't a sticker saying anything else... Saying I could b in trouble for driving around like its my fault it's crazy...

harleyrae

Reaction score
Read your original paperwork. Then read the paperwork they are offering. How does the paperwork differ? Did they give you a good deal that you are happy with on a used truck? Is it going to be certified preowned? I personally would just walk away unless there was something on the table that I couldn't live without.

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
Legitimate mistake or not, they would have to work hard to get me to keep that truck. The value of a new truck drops by thousands of $ as soon as you drive it off the lot and they know it and should pass that along. I'm sure it's as good as new with only 300 miles, but if you are the 2nd owner, I would think the retail value is much less

blankenbuhler

Reaction score
^^^ What he said! If you bought a "used" truck, you are due a lot of depreciation. Do not sign anything unless they are making it financially beneficial to you.

A lawyer once told me that a contract needs to be beneficial to BOTH parties. Anything you sign is a contract. Do not sign anything that says you acknowledge it is a used vehicle (which is beneficial to THEM) unless they give you a nice stack of $$$ (which is beneficial to YOU).

The choice should be: they reimburse you to your satisfaction, or they "unwind" this deal w/you.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it wasn't registered or titled I think it's still a new truck. You could still get some free oil changes or something for your inconvenience.

SuperShortMag

Reaction score
If it wasn't registered or titled I think it's still a new truck. You could still get some free oil changes or something for your inconvenience.

But if that was the case, why would he need to go back? Something doesn't sound right

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
But if that was the case, why would he need to go back? Something doesn't sound right
No idea, could be something over looked in the signing process. If the truck was previously registered then I'd be looking for compensation. Lots of new vehicles are test driven hundreds of miles, or driven that far in a dealer swap so the mileage is much ado about nothing.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Maybe TFL had it for one of their tests and they hard drove tested that thing. Gauntlet towing, smashing through mud, whatever.

Or maybe it had like thirty 10 mile test drives.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maybe TFL had it for one of their tests and they hard drove tested that thing. Gauntlet towing, smashing through mud, whatever.

Or maybe it had like thirty 10 mile test drives.
My truck had 330 miles on it when I bought it. The GM of the dealership had been driving it for a month.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yeah it's just wierd that no one new about this issue now they want me to go back and sign stuff right b4 Christmas.... And the finance guy tells me I should have known ... I'm like how everywhere I saw said it was new there wasn't a sticker saying anything else... Saying I could b in trouble for driving around like its my fault it's crazy...
Thats the strangest thing Ive heard. How can you know? Its not your responsibility to know. New trucks can have up to I believe 3-4k miles and still be new. Thats why demos are still technically sold as new. So its impossible for you to know. They know though through their internal system. If they are being idiots I would just leave and deal somewhere else unless your trade is gone or something.

Take your time and get what you want.

Longhorn5G

Reaction score
Did you finance through them? Because if so, this seems similar to "yo-yo financing".

Seems like, if you did finance thru them, they will next say that your financing must change to a used financing, which would liely be higher APR.

If you financed thru them, that means their cut is likely bigger (someone correct me if i am wrong please).

Motive would have been to get u out the door on something agreeable to you. Then, bring u back after you have come to rely on the vehicle to get you more likely to the worse loan terms, which favor them.

Maybe its what they're up to, maybe not.

https://www.hg.org/auto-dealer-fraud.html

stevier2987

Reaction score
^^^ What he said! If you bought a "used" truck, you are due a lot of depreciation. Do not sign anything unless they are making it financially beneficial to you.

A lawyer once told me that a contract needs to be beneficial to BOTH parties. Anything you sign is a contract. Do not sign anything that says you acknowledge it is a used vehicle (which is beneficial to THEM) unless they give you a nice stack of $$$ (which is beneficial to YOU).

The choice should be: they reimburse you to your satisfaction, or they "unwind" this deal w/you.
well I got the truck for 40k, it was going for 35.6K but with tax and license stuff.. so it was a good deaL.. should try to get them to lower the price??? ALSO I called my bank and they said the interest rate would be a new car APR! I was preapproved thru my credit union and that's who financed the truck

Users who are viewing this thread