5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sirius Guardian and Uconnect

Mill4570

Reaction score
The Guardian services only work for me if I have used the truck recently. I spent some time with the Sirius tech support and they can get everything working as long as the truck has been used within an hour or so. It seems that something in the truck is going to sleep and will not let the command go through. I can stand beside the truck (no key fob) with my iPhone and enter a command. The dash will light up with the step on brake and push button, and the 12” screen will come on but stay dark. The Uconnect app will say the command was recdive, but it is not executed. If I start the truck and drive around a few minutes, everything will work, but only for a short period of time. According to Sirius the entire radio will have to be replaced. I’m a little uneasy about this because I don’t have any other issues with the radio / nav system. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it without a new radio?

papac0rn

Reaction score
The Guardian services only work for me if I have used the truck recently. I spent some time with the Sirius tech support and they can get everything working as long as the truck has been used within an hour or so. It seems that something in the truck is going to sleep and will not let the command go through. I can stand beside the truck (no key fob) with my iPhone and enter a command. The dash will light up with the step on brake and push button, and the 12” screen will come on but stay dark. The Uconnect app will say the command was recdive, but it is not executed. If I start the truck and drive around a few minutes, everything will work, but only for a short period of time. According to Sirius the entire radio will have to be replaced. I’m a little uneasy about this because I don’t have any other issues with the radio / nav system. Has anyone had this problem and fixed it without a new radio?
I was reading about this in another thread or forum. Something about the telematics going to sleep. Sounds like a software bug. I am kinda playing with this on my truck with the 8" screen. I used it the first time when we went out for lunch today and had it start the car. It worked fine. It's not a feature I plan to keep when the free trial expires though.

Sent from my SM-T830 using Tapatalk

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s software and there is supposedly an update that fixes it. I had issues for 8 months and no one knew what to do so they swapped the radio. The only difference with the new radio and old was the new one had updated software. I found this out on my own after it was already installed. I argued it was software for months but it fell on deaf ears. Check the recent updates as I believe there is one that resolves the software issue.

Mill4570

Reaction score
It’s software and there is supposedly an update that fixes it. I had issues for 8 months and no one knew what to do so they swapped the radio. The only difference with the new radio and old was the new one had updated software. I found this out on my own after it was already installed. I argued it was software for months but it fell on deaf ears. Check the recent updates as I believe there is one that resolves the software issue.
Thanks for the replies..... According to the ram site, my radio is up to date. Does anybody know how to check the installed radio software??

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies..... According to the ram site, my radio is up to date. Does anybody know how to check the installed radio software??
Press the two outermost icons at the bottom of the screen simultaneously and it will go into dealer mode where you can see the latest software...

Mill4570

Reaction score
Press the two outermost icons at the bottom of the screen simultaneously and it will go into dealer mode where you can see the latest software...
MJP, thanks for your help. I read an older post where you had an identical issue. I saw where replacing the radio fixed the problem, but created others. This is what I am afraid of. I would replace a module behind the rear seat but not the radio. I guess I can say goodbye to Guardian.

Kidder

Reaction score
Sirius XM Guardian sucks. I don't know why FCA decided to go away from Uconnect.
Their customer service is as bad as regular Sirius XM.
I tried resubscribing to Guardian for a few features while I was on a road trip. After 24 hours, they still couldn't figure out why none of the features worked. I got a refund.
I know @RamCares probably won't say why they decided to go with Guardian. Hopefully they ditch them in the future.

Last edited:

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
MJP, thanks for your help. I read an older post where you had an identical issue. I saw where replacing the radio fixed the problem, but created others. This is what I am afraid of. I would replace a module behind the rear seat but not the radio. I guess I can say goodbye to Guardian.
Good luck. I hope it gets sorted out. It’s incredibly frustrating. What pissed me off the most was that a simple a software update could have resolved my issue but FCA was clueless so after 8 months their decision was swap the radio. Anyway, mine works now so I’m over it. Keep us posted.

Mill4570

Reaction score
I talked to the Service Manager at the dealership where I purchased the truck. He said they had not seen this particular issue, but he did explain that swapping the radio has caused problems with other customers in the past. It seems the new radios are not actually new, but refurbished. He is a nice guy and has already fixed several issues with the truck. He runs a great Service Department, but I am not going to get this fixed. I will say good buy to Guardian and do my best to get along without it. I would be curious as to how many customers Sirius Guardian has lost due to this issue. You would think they would be upset with FCA since the problem is theirs rather than Guardian.

Users who are viewing this thread