5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Simple Upgrade To HK Subwoofer

Andoskyy

Reaction score
Hi All,

I love the HK system, but thought the sub was pretty muddy/boomy. I took out the stock enclosure and gave it a knock...and wow...thing is an absolute echo chamber. No wonder it sounded so lousy.

I stuffed the enclosure with polyfill and added some random scraps of sound deadening material to the enclosure.

Very, very noticeable improvement in sound. Well worth the hour of work...would 100% recommend!

Attachments

• 20190308_142652.jpg
    20190308_142652.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 599
  • 20190308_142646.jpg
    20190308_142646.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 600
  • 20190308_134601.jpg
    20190308_134601.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 602

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hi All,

I love the HK system, but thought the sub was pretty muddy/boomy. I took out the stock enclosure and gave it a knock...and wow...thing is an absolute echo chamber. No wonder it sounded so lousy.

I stuffed the enclosure with polyfill and added some random scraps of sound deadening material to the enclosure.

Very, very noticeable improvement in sound. Well worth the hour of work...would 100% recommend!
Where all did you stuff the poly fill? And are the silver strips the sound deadening you added?

Andoskyy

Reaction score
In every crevice of the enclosure except where the subwoofer driver itself goes.

yes, the silver is the sound deadening material. You can use anything...Dynamat, Noico, fatmat, etc

Tench

Reaction score
Wow. That’s barely a subwoofer. No wonder it sounds like crap. I was hoping to replace the driver, but a real sub wouldn’t fit. Even a 3 inch deep low profile sub wouldn’t work.

BNeal

Reaction score
Following this thread. Not quite sure by the pics you posted that i fully understand what you did, but would love to improve the sound of the sub.

Ramtrx

Reaction score
So, did the existing amp provide enough power, or did you have to add an addition amp?
The amp will work. It’s not too strong but will work. Also the stock system is absolute garbage for a Harmon karmon. It’s appalling the amount of money they charge for these trucks with a redesign of the truck and The stereo is still crap.

BNeal

Reaction score
The amp will work. It’s not too strong but will work. Also the stock system is absolute garbage for a Harmon karmon. It’s appalling the amount of money they charge for these trucks with a redesign of the truck and The stereo is still crap.
Ok, so on a scale of one to five, where do you rate the improvement with the sub you installed over the HK?

Ramtrx

Reaction score
Personally, I installed new speakers and wire for each speaker. I also installed 2 12” pioneer shallow mount subs. They are absolutely amazing. My system is top notch for doing it myself. I couldn’t stand the stock sub. I eliminated it. I did leave it in place though.

jastevenson

Reaction score
I unplugged my sub and am so much happier. The speakers are actually pretty good, but the sub drowns them out and is complete garbage.

Even if the sub was good, the system isn’t worth what they charge, but I highly recommend unplugging it because it sounds so much better. The bass is adequate without it for most people, I’d say.

Tench

Reaction score
Hi All,

Do you know the diameter of the subwoofer hole?

jljbtm

Reaction score
Is that where the rattle is coming from in mine? only on certain Base notes

Schwartz36

Reaction score
Hi All,

I performed the polyfill and sound deadening “fix” to my sub today. Lot’s of polyfill and covered almost every inch of the front and back of the enclosure with 80mil deadening material.

Yes, I can hear a difference. Yes, it’s a little less boomy. Yes, I can move my bass EQ up a little bit.

But, NO, I don’t recommend this as a solution. Still just an awful, lifeless sounding sub with absolutely ZERO punch. I prefer the sub unplugged over the stuffed and covered sub.

I can’t decide what I’m going to try next. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions of feedback from those of you that have tested.
  1. Swap out the OEM 6X9’s with CDT CL-69S and leave the sub unplugged
  2. Try a powered slimline sub like the Kicker Hideaway or the Crutchfield house brand
  3. Try a non-powered slim sub using the factory amp.

Schwartz36

Reaction score
Except go back to Ford I guess! @RamCares

Yeah, I agree, it’s not a warranty issue. I’d love to find out that it‘s something that will someday be addressed in a software update that changes the DSP and or EQ options/setting. Probably wishful thinking.

Seriously tho, this is my first RAM and I’m so happy with the truck overall. With one major exception. The SQ in my 1500 limited, specifically the subwoofer, is unacceptably BAD. RAM should do something resolve it...

Users who are viewing this thread