5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Maxsteel2

Reaction score
I recently bought a 19 ram and wanted to change my mirror caps from black to chrome. Everyone on this site suggested taking it to a dealer and saying you had to remove the glass (mirror) first. I knew this couldn’t be true and I did it in 10 mins with no risk of breaking a mirror!

Just thought I’d share my experience.
There are 4 clips (as shown in the pic I’ve attached) holding the cover on. You will need a skinny and long flathead. Turn your mirror all the way in and you will be able to see the left/top and far left clip. You can pry them inward (they bend and are hard to break) enough that they’ll stay out of the way when removing. Turn mirror all the way out and repeat for that side. Slide your screw driver in behind the cover from front of the mirror in the end closest to the truck. It should start to pop right off. EXCEPT there’s one little screw holding it on that serves practically no purpose. Rip off the cover and remove the broken screw piece with pliers and you can now slap on any cover of your choice and the 4 clips will safely secure the cap!!

Attachments

• 59B5FD40-96F0-4ABF-A084-B497B4F30554.jpeg
    59B5FD40-96F0-4ABF-A084-B497B4F30554.jpeg
    74.7 KB · Views: 396

Klute

Reaction score
I was thinking of upgrading this too.

What new cap did you use OEM/Aftermarket?

Maxsteel2

Reaction score
I was thinking of upgrading this too.

What new cap did you use OEM/Aftermarket?

Ordered these on eBay user name “Deluxe Automall” they fit nice and flush look factory. When putting them on you may have to use my original take off method and give the clips on the outside edge a nudge and they’ll snap right in flush!

Attachments

• 3FE5FC2F-1E9A-4C48-8C4C-88C76C498E63.png
    3FE5FC2F-1E9A-4C48-8C4C-88C76C498E63.png
    274.1 KB · Views: 215

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ordered these on eBay user name “Deluxe Automall” they fit nice and flush look factory. When putting them on you may have to use my original take off method and give the clips on the outside edge a nudge and they’ll snap right in flush!

You have me thinking about this again. I always hate to not reuse whatever factory attachments they used but I wonder how much one screw will save your cover when all the tabs fail?
From taking it apart, was there any spot that would lend itself to a good double sided tape as a screw alternative?

Colbeer

Reaction score
I recently bought a 19 ram and wanted to change my mirror caps from black to chrome. Everyone on this site suggested taking it to a dealer and saying you had to remove the glass (mirror) first. I knew this couldn’t be true and I did it in 10 mins with no risk of breaking a mirror!

Just thought I’d share my experience.
There are 4 clips (as shown in the pic I’ve attached) holding the cover on. You will need a skinny and long flathead. Turn your mirror all the way in and you will be able to see the left/top and far left clip. You can pry them inward (they bend and are hard to break) enough that they’ll stay out of the way when removing. Turn mirror all the way out and repeat for that side. Slide your screw driver in behind the cover from front of the mirror in the end closest to the truck. It should start to pop right off. EXCEPT there’s one little screw holding it on that serves practically no purpose. Rip off the cover and remove the broken screw piece with pliers and you can now slap on any cover of your choice and the 4 clips will safely secure the cap!!
Great post! Before I saw this I was ready to send my new covers back for credit as I was not going to risk breaking the mirrors; and no dealer/body shop in my area would touch it. Just put the new covers on while "working from home" and they look great.

trixdesigns

Reaction score
Use the giant suction cup method. Works great, you don’t rip anything off, and the tool only costs like $4

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

copekyle

Reaction score
Looking for help here. Stupid me caught the garage as I was backing out and ripped off this cover. Looking at the 3 clips on the bottom, I broke all 3 of them on the mirror side. Any tricks to repair? I really don't want to buy a new mirror just for these stupid clips.

Julio13

Reaction score
I just replaced mine without breaking screw position mirror so screw is almost visible it’s a t15 torx. Using a torx 15 screwdriver you will be able to grip it it will not be straight you are catching it sideways but will come out mine was magnetic so screw if careful will stick to it and make it out then pry with flat head screwdriver the four clips and it’s off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread