5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SIM Card?

Nothing2Personal

Reaction score
Does anyone know if we can change out the built in SIM card and use a provider of choice? I have the 2019 RAM Limited with 12" screen in Canada.

Neokane

Reaction score
That would be nice.. Att service is practically non existent in my area.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its an eSim like the new iPhone and Apple Watch and iPads have. No way to change carriers.

shrubs2000

Reaction score
If I need to use by WiFi Tablet in the truck, I just use my cell phone as a hotspot. I don't plan to pay the extra for AT&T.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The in truck wifi stinks anyways since its not LTE. Its limited to HSPA + so it won't reach the speeds. I went with a hotspot in my top console armrest where there single USB is and keep it in there. It charges and works great and its better than the in truck unit anyways. have no idea why RAM decided to allow 4g NOT LTE. Just one of the stupid decision s they made with the 19. I hope they get their stuff together in a few years because I really do miss my ram and want to get back into one after they get it sorted.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The in truck wifi stinks anyways since its not LTE. Its limited to HSPA + so it won't reach the speeds. I went with a hotspot in my top console armrest where there single USB is and keep it in there. It charges and works great and its better than the in truck unit anyways. have no idea why RAM decided to allow 4g NOT LTE. Just one of the stupid decision s they made with the 19. I hope they get their stuff together in a few years because I really do miss my ram and want to get back into one after they get it sorted.
Actually, it is a 4G LTE2 modem. I tried it for a couple of months and got good speeds out of it. Just didn't want to pay the $25 / mo that they charge.

Cheers,

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Actually, it is a 4G LTE2 modem. I tried it for a couple of months and got good speeds out of it. Just didn't want to pay the $25 / mo that they charge.

Cheers,
The modem is but the WIFI is not. IT does not allow wifi to use the LTE Thats why its more perplexing as to why they allow it not to access the LTE for the WIFI. They specifically leave LTE out of any description of the WIFI.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 2.15.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 2.15.24 PM.png
    483.4 KB · Views: 91

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
The modem is but the WIFI is not. IT does not allow wifi to use the LTE Thats why its more perplexing as to why they allow it not to access the LTE for the WIFI. They specifically leave LTE out of any description of the WIFI.
There's no such thing as LTE or 4G WiFi. Two different technologies.

In the article you shared, they are just showing 4G (read LTE) with WiFi hotspot. Poorly worded, but that's what that is.
Actually, current WiFi is Gen. 5, with Gen. 6 systems starting to show up on the market right now. Again, totally different than 5G Cellular technologies. Apples and Asteroids.

The LTE modem, is what connects to the ISP, and your devices use WiFi to connect to the LTE modem in the truck. No different than the system in your house.

So, you have ISP (AT&T this case) <=> LTE Modem <=> WiFi router <=> Endpoint (mobile / tablet / laptop, etc). Think of using your phone hotspot to connect to it, but if the phone does not have a SIM card, you cannot get out to the internet. Same concept.

You can have WiFi enabled all day long w/o service and connect to the tuck. It just won't get out to the internet until you purchase a data plan.

Hope that clears the confusion.

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's no such thing as LTE or 4G WiFi. Two different technologies.

In the article you shared, they are just showing 4G (read LTE) with WiFi hotspot. Poorly worded, but that's what that is.

The LTE modem, is what connects to the ISP, and your devices use WiFi to connect to the LTE modem in the truck. No different than the system in your house.

So, you have ISP (AT&T this case) <=> LTE Modem <=> WiFi router <=> Endpoint (mobile / tablet / laptop, etc). Think of using your phone hotspot to connect to it, but if the phone does not have a SIM card, you cannot get out to the internet. Same concept.

You can have WiFi enabled all day long w/o service and connect to the tuck. It just won't get out to the internet until you purchase a data plan.

Hope that clears the confusion.

I dont know what or how to explain this because you keep thinking another way or I dont understand what I am talking about. LTE yes. it has LTE modem BUT it doesn't use it. It only uses the HSPA + bands that is ATT 4g before LTE. If you have att cell phone you will see it goes from 4G at times to LTE. Thats because they have two different 4G systems in their opinion. If it was LTE RAM would specify it was LTE. It is not. Just like new phones may have a 5g model in them but they do not allow 5g access even if you were in 5g coverage. The trucks do not allow for the modem to be used in LTE PERIOD. That is why latency is lower and the times it takes for the lock and unlock are so slow versus the competitors like ford and even chevy that uses ATT also BUT CLEARLY SAYS LTE. Ford uses Verizon and CLEARLY STATES LTE. FCA has NOT as of yet unlocked the LTE for use in the vehicle services EVEN with a DATA plan. They can control what the modem accesses in software.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Wrong again, but hey, believe what you want.

Cheers,

Attachments

• 08 - Electrical:8A - Audio:Video:Entertainment:Connectivity:Description DESCRIPTION AND OPERA...pdf
    613.4 KB · Views: 30

Neokane

Reaction score
I am suprised they didnt use verizon, or something like that.. I can get a connected device on verizon for $5 a month..

raminuk

Reaction score
Quick one for you all on here, the inbuilt sim (eSim) does it work abroad / overseas like in the UK? i have recently imported my Ram and i do get the 2G indicator, but haven't figured out what uses the data yet.

thanks

Viking42

Reaction score
Quick one for you all on here, the inbuilt sim (eSim) does it work abroad / overseas like in the UK? i have recently imported my Ram and i do get the 2G indicator, but haven't figured out what uses the data yet.

thanks
Same here, its is near desperate,
When you see that in the US they are already strugling...
(off topic- how did you get your local/EU navigation map?)

raminuk

Reaction score
Same here, its is near desperate,
When you see that in the US they are already strugling...
(off topic- how did you get your local/EU navigation map?)

I think its the jeep grand cherokee maps that work, the importer sorted that out for me, but i believe the mopar website with u-connect should keep you right

Viking42

Reaction score
Thanks for the hint,
but i'm constantly getting blocked by the fact i have no valid jeep VIN to go to the maps download page
I was simply not able to find the right map files on the internet

Janko

Reaction score
Hello to all,

If we have a eSim in the RAM 2019, is it possible to add additional eSim to the software (like Iphone 11 Pro you can do Tmobiel nad ATT in the same time, or google phone up to 11 different eSim cards)? Maybe those options will be unlocked in the future, or maybe they are existing now as well but we do not know it?

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Hello to all,

If we have a eSim in the RAM 2019, is it possible to add additional eSim to the software (like Iphone 11 Pro you can do Tmobiel nad ATT in the same time, or google phone up to 11 different eSim cards)? Maybe those options will be unlocked in the future, or maybe they are existing now as well but we do not know it?
Not known.

Users who are viewing this thread