5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Side Steps Slow to Retract

beta379

Reaction score
I have the factory retractable side steps and I've noticed it 2 or 3 times that one of the steps doesn't retract. I'll be driving away and hear it retract. I am not the type to jump in and drive away as I have kids that sometimes take forever to buckle up. I wanted to know if anyone is having the same issue and how it was resolved.

I also had a buddy that said his father's new truck was doing the same thing. Both our trucks are maybe couple months old and neither have had a first old change.

Thanks

green68mustang_2002

Reaction score
I have seen other threads on this exact issue, but I can’t say for certain what the cause and remedy is/was. I have the AMP steps on mine and had a set on my 2015 sierra and never once had or have a problem out of them.

Last edited:

PorBoy

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Same here as far as Amp steps and no concerns. Is it possible to video this in action to show to the dealership?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the belief is that because these have sensors that look for either weight on them or any resistance in closing that they are staying deployed because bumps in the road are perceived as weight on the running board, and then when you get to a smooth part in the road they retract.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have the factory retractable side steps and I've noticed it 2 or 3 times that one of the steps doesn't retract. I'll be driving away and hear it retract. I am not the type to jump in and drive away as I have kids that sometimes take forever to buckle up. I wanted to know if anyone is having the same issue and how it was resolved.

I also had a buddy that said his father's new truck was doing the same thing. Both our trucks are maybe couple months old and neither have had a first old change.

Thanks

Hi beta379,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you decide to address this with your dealer, please be sure to let us know via private message. We would like to have this documented and connect you with a case manager for an additional layer of assistance for that process. Our team is just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I posted this on another power running board thread. You can stop them from retracting if you happen to hit the start button right as they are beginning to retract. It'll stop and revert to leaving them deployed. You can also stop them from deploying on the passenger side if you start the truck as the door is being opened. Just a quirk. I now wait to hear them retract before I start the truck.

Tjd

Reaction score
my experience and guess is that the step is sensing weight and stays deployed. In my case it has been a layer of ice or mud that is stuck to the top. When you reach a certain speed they retract regardless. You can simulate this by deploying the steps in uconnect, then drive away . One you reach (I can’t remember the exact speed) they will retract.

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
I posted this on another power running board thread. You can stop them from retracting if you happen to hit the start button right as they are beginning to retract. It'll stop and revert to leaving them deployed. You can also stop them from deploying on the passenger side if you start the truck as the door is being opened. Just a quirk. I now wait to hear them retract before I start the truck.
You can hold your foot on the boards after you close the door and they will stay out. You will feel a slight bump as they try to go up and then they go back to the down position. Makes it easier for cleaning.
As far as the theory of a bumpy road making them stay out and going back up when it is smoother, they are designed to retract at 5 mph if for some reason they don't go up after closing the door. They should not be out at any speed above that. I have had these steps on my last 2 Fords and glad the Ram has adapted. Mine too stay out some times and I hear it retract after I set off. Not sure the reason.

beta379

Reaction score
Hi beta379,

I certainly understand why this would be concerning. If you decide to address this with your dealer, please be sure to let us know via private message. We would like to have this documented and connect you with a case manager for an additional layer of assistance for that process. Our team is just a PM away.

Mark
RamCares

Thank you for the concern. I think you guys should look into what Jus Cruisin. It seems like he is on something and like he said is a quirk if it's true. I'll have to try to replicate what he mentioned on my truck.

Users who are viewing this thread