5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Side Mirrors hitting the window

KC the dog

Reaction score
I just returned from the dealer with my 2021 1500 4x4. I wanted the side mirrors adjusted so they do not hit the window when retracted. The service writers checked two new 1500's that just came off the truck and they both had the same issue.

Now they are telling me it must be a design issue and there is nothing that can be done. There is no internal adjustment available.

Has anyone had this issue and what was the solution? I can't believe they designed it that way.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They aren't hitting the window. Roll the window down and fold the mirrors in and they will sound the same. When folded, try sliding something between the mirror and the window. You're hearing them hitting the internal stops.

Was about to write something similar.

Sounds like it does and I’ve checked a bunch of times and never does.

But it is possible OP does have the issue he says he has….

MurphBigHorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mine are about 1/2 inch from the windows folded in. Sounds like they hit but don’t. Do you have a picture of them actually touching the windows?

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
This has been a complaint since the 5th gens first came out. Many people have thought they hit (including myself), only to find out that they're just hitting the stops. Of course I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it's been a common misconception.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just returned from the dealer with my 2021 1500 4x4. I wanted the side mirrors adjusted so they do not hit the window when retracted. The service writers checked two new 1500's that just came off the truck and they both had the same issue.

Now they are telling me it must be a design issue and there is nothing that can be done. There is no internal adjustment available.

Has anyone had this issue and what was the solution? I can't believe they designed it that way.
As time goes on, I’m realizing there are several design flaws on the new rams, my 19 had a vibration issue that could not be resolved, finally they dealership said there was no more they could do, that they were done wasting time trying to fix it! I lemon lawed it! Unfortunately I’m not the only one who has experienced this issue and it still exists today on the new 21’s and guess what, still no fix😩 I had a 21 Laramie sport built and now with 8000 miles, the only issue I’ve had is the tires are wearing very funny again! Good luck with your mirrors, but I’m sure there’s no fix😢

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
As time goes on, I’m realizing there are several design flaws on the new rams, my 19 had a vibration issue that could not be resolved, finally they dealership said there was no more they could do, that they were done wasting time trying to fix it! I lemon lawed it! Unfortunately I’m not the only one who has experienced this issue and it still exists today on the new 21’s and guess what, still no fix😩 I had a 21 Laramie sport built and now with 8000 miles, the only issue I’ve had is the tires are wearing very funny again! Good luck with your mirrors, but I’m sure there’s no fix😢
How many times are you going to tell this story? You're like a broken record. 🤣

KC the dog

Reaction score
Due to all your comments I went out and double checked the clearance and the knowledgeable people on this forum are correct. There is about 1/8 inch clearance. The sound is the stops and not hitting the window. I stand corrected. Thank you.
But that leaves me with the realization that the service writers and the mechanics at the dealer were either not telling the truth, didn't know what they were talking about or just didn't check the mirrors. Three service writers stood there and told me they checked my truck and two new ones and they all hit the window. (The day before Christmas and they didn't have much else to do). Yes Hit. And they stood there and agreed it was a design defect. And they told me the mechanic also tried to adjust the mirrors. Well if they weren't hitting just what were they looking at and what was adjusted? I just had them install electric steps. Hope they did that correctly.
On an unrelated note testing is being halted on the Ram and Jeep vehicles at the testing facility in Yucca, AZ. They also test Harleys there. A friend of mine has been a test driver there for years and they are slowing letting them go.

BowDown

Reaction score
They aren't hitting the window. Roll the window down and fold the mirrors in and they will sound the same. When folded, try sliding something between the mirror and the window. You're hearing them hitting the internal stops.

Was about to write something similar.

Sounds like it does and I’ve checked a bunch of times and never does.

But it is possible OP does have the issue he says he has….
They are right ^^^
Yep, I initially thought they were hitting the windows when retraced also but when I checked, they were not. I rolled the windows down then retracted the mirrors and they made the same noise yet when I rolled the windows up, no contact

BowDown

Reaction score

I disagree, for it to be a design flaw, 100% of the trucks would have the same issue. My truck is and has always been glass smooth right up to fuel cut off. And when I say dead smooth, like glass smooth.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Get rid of the ****ty factory tires and try again

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Due to all your comments I went out and double checked the clearance and the knowledgeable people on this forum are correct. There is about 1/8 inch clearance. The sound is the stops and not hitting the window. I stand corrected. Thank you.
But that leaves me with the realization that the service writers and the mechanics at the dealer were either not telling the truth, didn't know what they were talking about or just didn't check the mirrors. Three service writers stood there and told me they checked my truck and two new ones and they all hit the window. (The day before Christmas and they didn't have much else to do). Yes Hit. And they stood there and agreed it was a design defect. And they told me the mechanic also tried to adjust the mirrors. Well if they weren't hitting just what were they looking at and what was adjusted? I just had them install electric steps. Hope they did that correctly.
On an unrelated note testing is being halted on the Ram and Jeep vehicles at the testing facility in Yucca, AZ. They also test Harleys there. A friend of mine has been a test driver there for years and they are slowing letting them go.
This same subject comes up every few months on a Porsche forum that I'm on. The guys swear that their mirrors are hitting the windows.

It's unfortunate that most dealerships know less about their vehicles than the guys on forums like this one.

It doesn't surprise me about the Yucca facility. GM shut down their proving grounds in Mesa, AZ years ago. Is the Chrysler facility in Wittman, AZ still open? I haven't been there in a long time. Last time I was there, the guy in the main hangar let me check out the Viper before it was released to the public.

Zemlyak

Reaction score
I wish they could automatically close with the setting. Same time more settings - more possibilities of malfunction's :(

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This has been a complaint since the 5th gens first came out. Many people have thought they hit (including myself), only to find out that they're just hitting the stops. Of course I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it's been a common misconception.
Must be a lot of people complaining because Aaron at Mark Dodge made a point of showing me that they don't actually hit when you fold them in.

Bob.

Reaction score
Sure sounds like mine hit when retracted. I never checked, nor do I care if they hit. They fold back in the right place so I never gave it much thought. After reading thru the thread it must be resting on the mirror stops like everyone else s trucks lol

Bob.

Reaction score
I just washed my truck and looked. They are beautifully engineered. You can slide a sheet of paper between the glass and mirror frame. Way to go RAM!
It's funny they make that glass wack sound but it's all good. :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread