5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I modify?

Mroe66

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Dodge Ram Diesel 2500. I’ve heard of the possibility of modifying the chip or computer to get better performance and MPG. Is this possible, if so how?

DonsRam19

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2018 Dodge Ram Diesel 2500. I’ve heard of the possibility of modifying the chip or computer to get better performance and MPG. Is this possible, if so how?
I would see if they offer a pedal Commander for your truck it's a night and day difference.

TimG

Reaction score
I was on the diesel side for many years before switching to my Rebel a few months ago. Granted all of my mod experience with the Cummins is on Pre 2005 models, but with your '18, Id imagine that the EGR system is your major performance hindrance. Not to mention the restrictive intake /air cleaner and the DPF. There have been a few folks that have done a full delete of the EPA systems that has shown significant gains in power and economy. But that could open you up to legal issues depending on where you live. Its also stupid expensive. There are good diesel mod forums out there, but beware any that try to get you to buy all the Banks bolt-on stuff that is tantamount to putting a K&N sticker on the window and saying it adds 15hp.
As for a plug and play "chip", I always had great results with Edge Performance products. I had a Juice with Attitude on my '05 (along with some other stuff) and it really woke her up for relatively cheap.
Good luck and happy modding!

Mroe66

Reaction score
I also use the truck to haul a fifth wheel trailer, would the pedal commander better my performance with that too?

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I have also heard great things about the Edge Performance products for Diesel

@Mroe66 ...the Pedal Commander is not a performance product...it only makes the pedal more or less sensitive but not a true performance mod that impacts the ECU and the engine tuning. Look at the Edge products.

Users who are viewing this thread