5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I make the jump to an Ecodiesel?

Firebird

Reaction score
With all of the deep discounts right now, I was considering jumping into an Ecodiesel again. I have driven one, and it is a really nice drivetrain, better and smoother than the 2014 Ecodiesel I had. I’m torn though, have only had my current Hemi a little over a year, and it just runs fantastic! I wouldn’t miss the economy, but would I miss the power? I want a 2020 to be a keeper if I did it, so certainly don’t want any regrets. For those of you that have bought a new one, any regrets? Thanks for any feedback.

SB09

Reaction score
If Ram, or any diesel manufacturer, has figured out Def system longevity.... That’s the one to buy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
DEF has scared me off diesel, along with all the other electronics. Mpg aside, diesels have been ruined over the years. They used to have superior reliability to their gas cousins but now incest has occurred

SB09

Reaction score
DEF has scared me off diesel, along with all the other electronics. Mpg aside, diesels have been ruined over the years. They used to have superior reliability to their gas cousins but now incest has occurred

Exactly...

The rule I go by is if I’m going to buy a diesel truck am I okay with having to do a delete and tune. The emissions equipment fell off my 2016 Cummins. Excellent truck after that. Voided the powertrain warranty in the process. But, I never had a turbo issues and didn’t have to replace expensive DPF filter at 80k miles so it was worth it.

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Exactly...

The rule I go by is if I’m going to buy a diesel truck am I okay with having to do a delete and tune. The emissions equipment fell off my 2016 Cummins. Excellent truck after that. Voided the powertrain warranty in the process. But, I never had a turbo issues and didn’t have to replace expensive DPF filter at 80k miles so it was worth it.

How were you able to pass your state inspection requirements?

ldoh

Reaction score
Not sure what discounts you are seeing today but FCA has been a bit stingy as far as I can tell. Isn't it just the 0% for 84 mos? If so I would wait them out.

SB09

Reaction score
Not sure what discounts you are seeing today but FCA has been a bit stingy as far as I can tell. Isn't it just the 0% for 84 mos? If so I would wait them out.

I think there’s also deferred payments for 90 days or so too.

ldoh

Reaction score
And I should add. I would only do diesel if I really needed it for towing/hauling. The extra cost, reduced fuel economy, and challenged reliability make it questionable for me.

I'm looking out a couple years still and holding out hope for EV technology. Hope that cybertruck is half of what they claim. Until then I'm enjoying my v8 power, low fuel prices, and inexpensive maintenance. Today, v8 power is almost the best of all worlds.

ldoh

Reaction score
I think there’s also deferred payments for 90 days or so too.

Good point. I forgot about that.

The problem with 0%/84mos and delaying payments is depreciating value while still owing a sizable loan. There's even less trade in opportunity.

It's crazy how these Ram 1500's lose their value. And for that reason it's a good plan to never pay anywhere near MSRP on a Ram 1500.

I got about 30% off MSRP last year on a gen 5 and might be lucky to break even on a trade-in today and that's without a loan.

SB09

Reaction score
Good point. I forgot about that.

The problem with 0%/84mos and delaying payments is depreciating value while still owing a sizable loan. There's even less trade in opportunity. It's crazy how these Ram 1500's lose their value. And for that reason it's a good plan to never pay anywhere near MSRP on a Ram 1500.

Oh yea without a doubt. I wouldn’t accept the deferred payments even if offered. It’ll be a 3month old truck that will still have a full term loan on. 84 months of payments doesn’t seem very financially smart to me even unless you drive under 10k miles a year.

Scjon03

Reaction score
I did.... went from a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie ORG. Did a bunch of mods to the truck. Installed all by myself: Amp Power steps, installed OEM LED bed lights and the tie down rails, Airlift 5000+ airbags, Front Bilstein 2" leveling shocks/rebel rear shocks, 1"rear spacer, KO2 tires and oil catch can. I loved the truck had no issues other than the rear window frame cracking and that was replaced under warranty. But I hated the MPG omg, I was getting like 12 to 13 because I drive mainly city. Even on the highway I was getting 16 ish. I had the standard gas tank 23 gallons or whatever and was getting like 280 a tank.

Took advantage of the 0% 84 months no interested and 90 days no payment and jumped into a 2020 Ram 1500 Limited Eco Diesel. It's very nice seeing 25 to 30 mpg in the city. I barely tow but do haul once in a while. Since I went with a limited there is barely anything I need to do with this truck. Only thing I did was installed my bed cover from the Laramie and top cargo LED lights. Now just waiting on the hood air guard and front window tint. Wont be doing any suspension lift because just don't feel like doing it all over again. So far very happy with it. I do wish I got a ORG limited though but they didn't have any instock. However if you do the 84 months thing you do not get any factory rebates. The dealer I purchase the truck from had a $8500 dealer discount. Truck was 71k btw. I love the massive sunroof.. but now its to hot to have it open lol.

Attachments

• IMG_0699[2135].jpg
    IMG_0699[2135].jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 47

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
With all of the deep discounts right now, I was considering jumping into an Ecodiesel again. I have driven one, and it is a really nice drivetrain, better and smoother than the 2014 Ecodiesel I had. I’m torn though, have only had my current Hemi a little over a year, and it just runs fantastic! I wouldn’t miss the economy, but would I miss the power? I want a 2020 to be a keeper if I did it, so certainly don’t want any regrets. For those of you that have bought a new one, any regrets? Thanks for any feedback.
If it were me, I’d wait at least another couple of years.
You’ll take a bath on your current vehicle, negating any interest savings on the new loan.

Cheers,

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Debating the same. Love my limited 5.7 but the mileage isn't the best. I'd love an EcoDiesel just for the range between fill ups. I figure I'll wait a year or two and see if there's any problems with this current engine.

I also love the look of the blackout limited.

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is saving, at best, 2k a year in fuel costs worth it? Capability-wise they're basically equal. You're just going to miss the get up and go of the gas engine to trade saving some money at the pump. If you tow 15k miles a year, yeah maybe the diesel might be worth it, but that's a small market.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Is saving, at best, 2k a year in fuel costs worth it? Capability-wise they're basically equal. You're just going to miss the get up and go of the gas engine to trade saving some money at the pump. If you tow 15k miles a year, yeah maybe the diesel might be worth it, but that's a small market.

I don't find the ram that quick anyways, and it's a truck. I came from a Jeep SRT so i knew the ram was always going to be slower.

I've been thinking more and more about it. The Hemi just seems so damn finicky with mileage. My 6.4 got better mileage than my ram. I average around 17mpg. On very long highway stints I can get around 20mpg.

I drive 70miles to work so the diesel is starting to be more appealing.

YellowSled

Reaction score
Even if you get a good deal/ and good apr, you are gonna take a bath on the trade value of your current truck. Will negate any real financial incentive to upgrade now.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Even if you get a good deal/ and good apr, you are gonna take a bath on the trade value of your current truck. Will negate any real financial incentive to upgrade now.
Probably. Doesn't hurt to check into it. If it comes out close I may consider it.

Users who are viewing this thread