5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I Have Waited To Buy A 2020 Ram 1500?

jrd06h

Reaction score
Wait until they solve Ac problem.

Any reports from 2020 owners if the AC is still a problem? I live in a hot and humid area, and that is why I'm waiting on buying a RAM (if they don't, GM has redesigned the Tahoe/Yukon for next year and I'll wait).

Ski14ers

Reaction score
Until they run out of 2019's the finance side of the equation is way too compelling on the the '19's vs the '20's. I got my '19 Limited L2 with MFT with a little over $11K in incentives, the dealer offered me another $2K discount or 0% financing. The 0% is worth about another $9200 in finance charge savings at the price I paid, or $7200 when you factor the passed-up incentive of $2000. Between the incentives and the 0% I would have had to pay an uplift of 36% to get into the 2020 with the same features, or the other direction the 2019 was a 26% discount from the 2020.

The dealer sales team couldn't come up with anything compelling on the 2020's that even they thought would make them pay anywhere close to that much more, and there were basically no incentives plus they wanted 5.99% to finance it which is highway robbery given interest rates these days. If I'm going to pay a bit over $19,000 more for a truck I am going to expect a lot more than just a change in model year on essentially the same truck.

gcimatt

Reaction score
I bought my 2019 1500 Limited in September, and have had zero issues with it. I love the truck and appreciate the quality and craftsmanship that went into the build. The reason I went with the 5.7 HEMI, is I read an article in Motor Trend that mentioned the value of the EcoDiesel. You would need to drive the EcoDiesel between 85,000 and 90,000 miles for the engine to return the investment. Not that driving the truck that long would be an issue.

JTMachineDesign

Reaction score
I'll +1 this all day long. I waited and looked until I found the perfect truck for me and since it was the 2nd week in December, the dealer couldn't get it off the lot fast enough :)
I actually paid LESS than I paid for a new 2000 dakota! 20 years later (almost to the day) and I paid less for a new truck.
7000 miles now and it's clear I'll never be sorry that I, once again, bought Mopar.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I researched the issues with the 2019 and I feel the $20,000 discount on the 2019 Rebel was worth a little extra time at the dealer for any warranty work that might come up .

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Should I Have Waited To Buy A 2020 Ram 1500?
Are The 2020 Models That Much Better Than The Outgoing 2019 Models?

We have driven both, so we try to answer your questions...

Nah, I got my 2019 ram Bighorn 4x4 for $29000 a few weeks ago....huge savings over the newest model is worth it to me.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
My A/C is perfect, and I'm a big dude that gets hot easy. Trust me, if my A/C sucked, I would be complaining. My 2015 F150's A/C system was no stronger than my RAM.

That being said, I know there are people who have issues, though I don't think it's as widespread an issue as some people think.

JustMe

Reaction score
Perhaps at this stage of the game . . . with delays in production and availability of 2020's - not sure if it's an issue, but my main dealership RAM DT #'s are just in the teens and 1'3 of those are "in transit," so ? So I'm thinking . . . when will the 2021's be showing up and available to order ? These will have the Newest Generation of UConnect and perhaps some 2019 / carryover 2020 issues Solved for good !?. One can hope . Not to many places I can go do the things I like to do anyway . . . staying safe & living are more important to me than a new RAM (or Jeep - still currently in my 2016 WK2). Stay Safe, Stay Vigilant, be "smart" about it, not a "smart-***" about it, and we'll ALL get thru this with fewer casualties . . . hopefully . All these things must continue, especially with the current opening up of States economies . Better to be Wise & Careful, instead of Dumb & Dead . ;) (y)

hunter1234

Reaction score
You will lose your @$$ on the 2019 and will never get a payback out of the Diesel. Unless you want it specifically to tow more than the HEMI will, it will be a total waste of money IMO.
I did wait for the 2020 with the eco diesel. Have a 2016 with it and love the engine. In my situation long commutes and towing I feel it is a better engine for me than the Hemi, having driven diesels for more years than I can count I find they tend to last longer and do pay for themselves by the time I get rid of them. Though, if an engine is properly maintained most will outlast the ownership of the vehicle. I also have the advantage of driving new Ram 1500s and 2500s each year as I buy 10 per year for the company, these have all been gas (5.7 and 6.4 in the 2500) and in big horn and tradesman trims. Would love to buy the diesels for the fleet but not a lot of towing or long hauls and various staff tend to want to put gas in the tank versus diesel or they are not always in a spot that has diesel in the pumps when they need to fill. They all have benefits and disadvantages and since 2004 we have only had one blown engine. So it really comes down to what you would use the trucks for, in my experience I prefer the diesel as it is the best engine for my usage. They are more expensive but I actually made money or if you like FCA paid for my engine on the 2016 as they offered a $3000 rebate on the engine when I bought it ($4,000 option) and then when I got the emission recall they gave me an additional $3,000 (basically a $2,000 discount on the price of the truck with that engine). Plus I save on mpg even though Diesel is a little more expensive than gas. The money back is likely not to happen on my 2020 but definitely can not complain. This is my opinion and no facts other than experience but diesels do not like short commutes, and a majority of stop and go city driving, mine is on the freeway 95% of the time for about 90 minutes on average - never had an engine issue.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
If you buy 10 trucks a year for a fleet I’d say you could cut yourself a pretty good deal on whatever you wanted, and understand what kind if vehicle is better for what type of driver.

I’d definitely think long and hard before letting any joe-blow employee (like in the lawn care business for example) drive a diesel unless it was a medium duty or higher truck that was obviously needing only diesel fuel.
I’ve seen the YT vids and read articles (like the one below) about drivers who mistakenly put gas in a diesel and then didn’t catch it right away... even those that did had to get the truck towed and the entire fuel system emptied and cleaned out. $$$
From website “drivingline.com”:
NIGHTMARE SCENARIO: WHAT TO DO IF GAS IS PUT IN YOUR DIESEL-POWERED VEHICLE

Even a regular owner can make the fuel pump mistake. There was a post about a guy who was on his cellphone and shoved the 87 octane pump into his Powerstroke. A tow and $3K in repairs later he could drive it again...

Users who are viewing this thread