5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Should I Have Waited To Buy A 2020 Ram 1500?

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Should I Have Waited To Buy A 2020 Ram 1500?
Are The 2020 Models That Much Better Than The Outgoing 2019 Models?

We have driven both, so we try to answer your questions...

Caballonegro

Reaction score
You want changes every year, so by the time it is time to rebuy another truck...they will be a Real Upgrade. I always look forward to changes as time is going, I don't get upset I missed out. Just enjoy yours and when you decide to buy another one, you'll be ready and excited.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Super happy with my 2019 RAM. I will say the fit and finish on my 2019 is superior to any truck I've owned so far and I've owned a lot.

Like Caballonegro mentioned, if you wait too long, you will be really close to a mid-cycle refresh. Either get one late first year (to get the early kinks out) or beginning of 2nd year. Otherwise just wait until the mid-cycle refresh.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
I thought the tailgate was neat but not $1K worth of neat... what other changes?
Now if they had upgunned the hemi another 50 hp/50 tq then perhaps yes.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Since my very first new car purchase in 1988, I've made a point to never look back. Three weeks after making a killer deal, some other dealer is gonna advertise a better price. Or they'll add a new color I like better to the next year's model. It would drive me crazy.

Exactly. I finally got over missing the big June rebates and realized that extra rebates or not, its the nicest vehicle we've ever had and since she is happy with it, that's worth more than $ saved.

clam

Reaction score
If you want the Black Appearance Package on the Limited or other models that were not offered for 2019, I would wait for the 2020 models. Other than that, the incentives for the 2019’s are hard to pass up.

lost demon

Reaction score
after 15 years it was time for me to upgrade. i loved my 04 Hemi Sport. never had an issue with it except the odometer and trip set quit working. didnt need them any way . put about 9000 miles a year on it , so i just decided to change oil n filters every 6 mnths. occasionally hooked up to computer to check on all other maintenance requirements .131000 and still no major stuff. the dealer was really trying to push me toward the CLASSIC but to me that was old model. i wanted the new style. the incentives were better on the classic , but i considered it an old year REBRANDED. i held out and got a pretty decent deal on my 19 Rebel. i got it in August so the 2020 models were starting to roll in, hence the better deal. if you have to question if its time, should you wait, MY answer would be NO. tomorrow is not garanteed so to enjoy it one day is better than no days at all. DO IT. You wont be sorry. im 68 and the only thing that puzzles me is all the electronics. But thats what grankids are for

RedRocketZ28

Reaction score
I thought the tailgate was neat but not $1K worth of neat... what other changes?
Now if they had upgunned the hemi another 50 hp/50 tq then perhaps yes.

This. The only reason I would feel regret is if the 5.7 got more power (not that it's really needed) or they started to put the 6.4L in them. I don't care about the appearance packages or the Eco-Diesel.

agjr85

Reaction score
With the 19's on sale and 20's with minimum rebates. You can do your own night edition much cheaper.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
after 15 years it was time for me to upgrade. i loved my 04 Hemi Sport. never had an issue with it except the odometer and trip set quit working. didnt need them any way . put about 9000 miles a year on it , so i just decided to change oil n filters every 6 mnths. occasionally hooked up to computer to check on all other maintenance requirements .131000 and still no major stuff. the dealer was really trying to push me toward the CLASSIC but to me that was old model. i wanted the new style. the incentives were better on the classic , but i considered it an old year REBRANDED. i held out and got a pretty decent deal on my 19 Rebel. i got it in August so the 2020 models were starting to roll in, hence the better deal. if you have to question if its time, should you wait, MY answer would be NO. tomorrow is not garanteed so to enjoy it one day is better than no days at all. DO IT. You wont be sorry. im 68 and the only thing that puzzles me is all the electronics. But thats what grankids are for
Exactly. I’m right behind you on age and yes, my son takes care of the “whats this do” questions...

cra1g

Reaction score
Not that it's happening in 2020, but I'll probably feel a bit of regret for not waiting for the TRX. On the other hand, I'm guessing the TRX will be a $100k truck, so it'll sting a little less.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread